Postings by Kittybaby

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > New home, feel like horrible person and miss her terribly
Kittybaby

Princess- Puppetmaster - dance human!

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '12 10:45pm PST 
Today my Kittybaby went to her new home. A very dear friend of mine has agreed to take her, and it is a good home. I feel horrible, like I have failed somehow. But auto-immune disease + increasing cat allergies is not a good combination. I keep waiting to hear the jingle of her collar bell, or her meow, or trying to climb on top of the computer keyboard to gt my attention.

She isn't "dead," but she is certainly gone. Tomorrow will be worse. Even though I had to give her up, I found her a very good home with a wonderful new kitty mom.

Cried for three hours.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 24 8:04 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Getting Desperate - need to rehome cat in Austin TX area.
Kittybaby

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '12 7:07am PST 
See "Am I a bad person if..."

I need to rehome my beloved kitty ASAP. I have been trying to find a place for her on my own for the last three or four weeks. So far no takers, the cat rescues are full to the brim with kittens (feral and otherwise). I am now missing days of work because of pain.

She is spayed, chipped, trained to use scratchers, sweet, purrs, loves to sleep on your belly, loves to play then curl up and sleep with you. She hasn't been around dogs, don't know how she would do with small children but she was with other cats before I got her. She is an indoor cat. I trim her front claws about every 2 weeks, back claws about every 6 weeks so she is used to that. She is NOT declawed, I won't give her to someone who would consider declawing her.

She will need her yearly exam/shots in 4 months and I will help with the cost of that or waive rehoming fees. Also have multiple scratchers, toys, a large cat tree/condo and 7 days worth of food.

I will check back later to see if anyone has any ideas for this area. Thanks in advance.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Aug 7 8:30 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Am I a bad person if...

Kittybaby

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '12 6:54am PST 
So, I have spent the last few weeks trying to find a home for her on my own with no success. My sister cannot take her. I am missing a day of work today because my pain is too bad - NOT GOOD. It is becoming critical that I rehome her. I have posted pics, tried multiple places at work and around my apartment complex. The rescue organizations are full with feral kittens they are trying to rehome. I am getting desperate, now looking at (gasp!) either Craigs list or a shelter. She is a VERY adoptable cat, it isn't her that is the problem, it is me. I am scared and worried.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Irma Thomas, Aug 7 9:23 am

Kittybaby

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 6:05pm PST 
First, I'm allergic to milk/dairy products, haven't had cheese in years. I drink plenty of water too. I have either hardwood or tile floors, a few rugs (most of which get washed in the washer at least once a week). I own a Dyson with hard floor attachment as well as wands to vacuum the sofa, etc. My sheets, etc., get washed once a week. I brush her, and use a Furminator every 6 months.

I have UV/ionic filters in each room. I use dust free litter. I also have a humidifier (don't use it all the time - I live in a humid environment). My central heating/AC also has UV and ionic filters on the intake as well as in the main ducts, which are serviced every six months.

Lastly, I have an auto-immune disorder that messes with my histamines to begin with, so my allergies don't manifest in my nose, throat, eyes or lungs per se. My lymph nodes swell up, my joints all swell and I have significant pain with any significant allergy attack.

I actually was NOT allergic to cats per my skin test three years ago. This is my first cat and she really adopted me, not the other way around. I have had her a little over a year, and not really had any problems that couldn't be handled with a good vacuuming and some benadryl as relates to my girl. Now my skin test is really positive for cat dander.

She is due for her yearly check up and shots, I will get that done first. She is also microchipped. I am not using Craig's List, wouldn't dream of it. I am not taking her to a shelter. Right now just asking people I know if they could take her. My sister is considering it (she has had many cats in the past and never been allergic), but that may not pan out. I may consider some type of rescue if I can't find someone to take her.

So, yes, I have tried as much as I can try. And I will happily suffer a few more weeks until I know I can put her in a good place. Its not like she is clawing, biting, attacking and chewing up the furniture or anything. I'm just feeling really bad about the whole thing, almost cry when she crawls onto my chest at night and curls up to go to sleep while purring (yeah, last place she should be, I know).
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Irma Thomas, Aug 7 9:23 am

Kittybaby

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '12 8:17pm PST 
I try to rehome my cat. My allergies are getting worse, pretty much out of control. I love my Princess. She is litter-box trained, very sweet, not a huge cuddler but really likes to be petted. She is also spayed and chipped. I have trained her to use her scratching posts and she doesn't even bother with the furniture. Don't really know how she would be with another cat, would be okay with dogs though. If anyone can help, even just to help me feel less guilty. cry
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Irma Thomas, Aug 7 9:23 am

Food & Nutrition > Overwhelmed with food choices, types & what to feed
Kittybaby

Purred: Thu Jul 21, '11 6:42am PST 
First, I really like keeping things grain free, and read labels like crazy. I used to feed my dog a totally grain-free diet with some raw, but have moved and haven't found a good local "boutique" food store to get advice from. After much research, we are on Merrick canned varieties which she really likes.

My sister, who has owned cats for, well, ever, keeps telling me that I need to feed her dry food. Then all my other research says to go as much to wet and very little kibble. I do have some kibble, the Merrick premium 97% salmon/crab grain free. If I don't put a little "gravy" over the kibble, she will throw up a lump of undigested kibble. I don't mix the wet & dry.

But she also seems to be generally hungry. I work and can't just leave a load of food out, or feed her every 6-8 hours. If I leave out the amount of canned I am supposed to for her weight (9.3 lb) I come home to about half of it not eaten, all dry and icky. If I put out smaller amounts the bowl will be empty.

So, how much do I feed her, should I stick to what I feeding her or is there a better food choice to recommend, and how can I feed her enough to keep her satisfied without dry, icky wasted food?

Also, I probably spend more on her food than I do on my own food. wink
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Jul 21 5:23 pm

Behavior & Training > I need advice on my completely declawed 'mature' kitty...

Kittybaby

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '11 7:47pm PST 
PetCo has a decent selection of cat trees that are within your price range. Mine has multiple levels that are easy to just jump to. My cat doesn't even use it to scratch on, it is her perch (I have it by the front picture window so she can sleep and bird/squirrel watch all day). Try one with alternate levels about 6" apart in height, and go ahead with the carpet ones since scratching is not an issue. Applause for thinking so much about your kitty and getting her needs met in a difficult situation.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Arthur, Jul 20 6:05 pm

Cat Health > Removing soft tips???

Kittybaby

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '11 7:42pm PST 
Hadn't thought about trimming them. No, I applied them, but my son wrapped her in a blanket so I had time to make sure the claws were totally retracted, no skin got glued I double checked. Am an RN in real life, so know the issues with glue. Will try to trim them up and hopefully that will help. I usually trim her claws about every 2-3 weeks, she has plenty of scratchers (which is frustrating to her because she can't get a good "scratch" on them). There is only one chair she will sometimes get to, but nothing major.

Anyway, thanks again!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Jul 20 2:22 pm

Cat Health > Removing soft tips???

Kittybaby

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '11 5:47am PST 
I posted something in behavior, so you may have seen it. I put the soft tips on my baby as an alternative to clipping her nails every two weeks or so. As a previously non-cat person, I think I have a pretty good idea of what my cat would be like if she were to run away and find and owner who WOULD declaw her.

I want these things off of my baby. I feel so bad, she can't scratch her scratchers and "mark" territory, she can't "grab" her toys, etc. Granted she can't scratch me or the furniture, but if she starts to slip off the side, she can't grip herself to stay on.

Any tips on how to get these things off without increasing her discomfort would be greatly appreciated at this point. I don't have the money right now to go to the vet, or I would just do that.

Thanks in advance.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Jul 20 2:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Getting soft-tips off????
Kittybaby

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '11 5:42am PST 
I am going to post this in a couple of places.

I put the soft tips on my little girl, and now know what cats are like if you declaw them. BAD, BAD idea. I thought this would be better than clipping her nails every two weeks or so (which she hates). These are on the front paws only!

First she can't scratch her scratchers, can't play with some of her toys, etc. Plus she walks a bit funny because the tips are a bit longer than I let her nails get. They say they can still scent mark with these on, but I don't think so.

Now she has become sort of hyper, she tries to bite more (usually play, but what other defense does she have?), and keeps trying to pull these caps off. I feel really, really bad, like I have actually declawed her (never, ever will happen).

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to get these off without hurting her? Should I take her to the vet to get them off? Or is there a way to do it at home?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please refrain from the "don't declaw" lectures even though I know everyone wants to mainly because I just need the help to get these horrible torture things off my beloved.

Thanks in advance.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Jul 23 4:11 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.