GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Cat Health > FIV positive cats introduced to cats without it?
Smokie Boo- Dreamboat- #104b

Rescued cats- like me are the- best!

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:42am PST 
Not all vets are good at all, and some just don't know much about FIV at all. The vaccination, Hobbs, is not a great idea for the simple reason that if the kitty vaccinated every got out, or had to board, etc, the test for it would come back positive. This can create problems for some cats.

There are many good kitty vets out there-but finding a great vet takes time-we know!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 4 11:32 pm

Cat Health > Smelly cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you?

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 8:35pm PST 
When mom and dad first got me, I had poop that was so bad that I could quite literally clear the room. It was bad enough that if Mom and Dad were in bed and I used the box, someone got up to scoop and then to spray something to neutralize the air....

Mommy got me to the vet-and I had been wormed already...but they found I had giardia, and for whatever reason, it doesn't always show up.

I got medicine and am much better.

Also, sometimes a very bad smelly poop can mean that there is a food allergy. Bella doesnt' absorb certain nutrients and so needs to get B12 shots and be on one type of food only.

Get a recheck of the poop to the vet. Dollars to catnip that there is something lurking in that poop.

all the best,
Smokieboo
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 8:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Russian Blue Behavior? Talkative?

Purred: Sat Jun 9, '12 5:18pm PST 
smile
I also like to talk, and do so often.
The rumor that circulates regarding me is that I was 'purchased' for a child as a pet and am 'blue blood'. But awhile I lived on the streets, and it wasn't pleasant at all.

I am talky, social, affectionate, quirky, loving to my brother, and to my people.

so you sound much like me!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 30 5:53 pm

Cat Health > shelter cat diarrhea, blood in stool, vomiting

Purred: Sun Apr 8, '12 2:29pm PST 
Purrs for Salem! I have been there, feel better, buddy. Daddy had to pill me, too. Please don't feel badly.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 7:05 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Adopted kitty hates my kids

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 7:45am PST 
We have a litter box in our bedroom, in the living room, in the bathroom and in the hall.
this is what I would do:

1) I would put Salem in a room with his litterbox. It should be the quietest room in the house, and preferrably one where he can use the box in peace.

2) I would put up a feliway diffuser, it has a calming effect on cats.

3) Salem needs quiet voices, lots of gentle slow movements to let him get to know the other people in the home.

Please let your daughter know that Salem is a living, breathing and feeling creature. How would she feel if you picked her up and just dropped her off somewhere to find a new home? I don't know how old she is, and I don't mean to sound cruel, but it sounds like you love cats, and it's sad that your daughter thinks that Salem should go back to a shelter rather than have a litter box in her room!

On that note, I wouldn't put it there, anyway, becuase it probably isn't a place that he would be comfortable.

If you do decide you are going to rehome him, please approach rescues that will not allow him to be put down. He deserves so much better.

I know you'll give it time, and remember, all good things with time. Smokieboo was a hissing, fearful abused cat when we first got him...with time and love, he's our Ambassador, who greets people and sits on the arm of their chairs and allowed our friends 6 year old son to spend time playing with him.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 5 9:54 pm

Cat Health > Recurring Ear Infections

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:35am PST 
Smokie needed a shot to help with his ear infection. he appears prone to them-yeast and could be partially due to FIV lowering his immune system.
I have heard that feeding grain free food helps (makes sense). It sounds as if you might also want to get a second opinion from another vet.

the coat will improve with better quality food too.

Our vet suggested as Smokie has also had itching problems that we put him on 'novel' proteins such as rabbbit or venison.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 13 9:10 am

Food & Nutrition > Anyone else have a cat that loves the smell of olives?

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 8:38am PST 
lol!
Yess!!!!! Smokie does too!!! He eats them if given the chance, and will lick them if he can't eat them.....
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 25 12:14 pm

Plus Power of the Paw > Help! We have a new unexpected arrival!

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 1:19pm PST 
Mom wants to take better pictures of her. She's a larger (not fat, mind you) Jezabel kitty-tortie-jet black that looks like someone flicked gold paint in little spots all over her.
She's a large kitty with soft, black, plush fur. She has some British shorthair in her, we think, because her face is round, with large round eyes and a slightly pushed in face.

Oh Tink, Mommy is putting it out to everyone she knows. She's emailed alot of rescue people. She has been told to get up pictures-the pics daddy and mommy tried to get last night weren't very good-she kept trying to get out of the cage.

Mommy and Daddy are seeking a good place for her.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 12 4:51 pm

Plus Power of the Paw > Help! We have a new unexpected arrival!

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 10:05am PST 
Hi everyone,
Would you guys please purr for us! We have ANOTHER CAT here! She's in a cage in Natalies room.
It appears one of the people mommy 'helps' got evicted yesterday. The marshal came and told the lady that if she didn't have anywhere to bring the cat, the cat would go to the city shelter, and he admitted, most likely 'put down'. This lady called my mom crying. She begged mom to help her.
So, sigh, there is a large black cat with gold specks here. It doesn't like Natalie-hissing everytime Natalie saws 'maah'.

Any leads, possible adoptive resources, and POTP are needed.

We...sigh...understand why mommy did this....we were mostly in the same boat. But we need our space and another cat in 2 rooms...no no no!

POTP please, folks! And prayers for the folks!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 12 4:51 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > AKC Ch.Dog Owner Wondering About Purebred CFA Ch.Cats

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 7:12am PST 
I am so sorry to disagree with you, but as someone who's worked for the last 20 years with rescue, 'mutts' and pure bred dogs, I think that mixed breed dogs have something no purebred dog will ever have, and thats hybrid vigor. They also are certainly consistant, if treated with love and given proper care.

I really don't understand what you mean by 'you've never met a cat that liked you' or 'liked people'. The other evening I had my good friend and her two children, ages 5 and 11 in my tiny 2 room apartment. We had snacks out on the table and the children were fascinated by the cats, 5 of who were in the front room with them. All my cats were absolutely perfect with the children, allowing themselves to be petted and in Smokies case, even touched in areas he's normally sensitive. I believe they know that the children are 'little people' and sometimes don't understand about not touching where it causes discomfort...though we did remind the little boy to please not touch Smokie's back (old injury that causes him pain).
My cats, once they know people, are very friendly! They seek attention from people they get good feelings from. They sense when someone is 'good people' and avoid people who may have negative vibes.
Every cat I have ever met...including ferals...communicate with people without words. Many do come to develop very loving, deep bonds with people. A former lovely calico cat I had, Kim, came from a terrible abusive situation, and became one of my most social, funny, and engaging cats ever. She had a capacity to forgive that humbles me.
Cats are not dogs. They are wired differently. That said, many are very loving and seek attention. Before we even knew Ruffy, he was running up to people in the street trying to get someone to take him home. Smokieboo had been abused and abandoned, yet he let a 5 year old boy who he didn't know pat his back, and run around him making alot of noise. Smokie was kind, because he was shown kindness. Our cats know they have nothing to fear in their home, and are all very affectionate-though all have come from uncertain situations.
I would advise, truly, for you to visit and perhaps volunteer with a rescue. You'll, sadly, meet purebred cats there, too. cry There are many places that will let you go in and get to know the cats-in fact, they'd welcome your help! It's a great way of getting to know cats in general, and perhaps one you'd want to adopt. I believe adopting a cat is the way to go...so many cats are euthanized because there simply aren't homes for them, and many wind up homeless through no fault of their own. Smokieboo was tossed out of his home beause the 'owner' decided she wanted a dog for her son. Smokie was no longer an entertaining kitten toy.

Sad, isn't it?

If you open yourself to the possiblity that a wonderful cat is a cat that could come in many differnt shapes, colors, sizes, you might be very pleasantly surprised.
[notify]

» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by , Mar 6 6:25 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.