GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Food & Nutrition > FINALLY figured out perfect diet plan for my cat!!
Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 1:31am PST 
There are 8 different varieties, including various types of fish, shrimp, rabbit, lamb, beef, duck, and poultry.
Normal French cat food. No reason not to just use this. Calories are not given but on the package it has serving suggestions per kilogram that the cat weighs.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 6 1:31 am

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '12 10:37am PST 
I'm feeding her Monoprix brand 100g packets twice a day.
http://courses.monoprix.fr/RIDE/4-recettes-saumon-thon-colin-et-cr evettes-vitamines-b1-d3-e-1444606

This is the same brand a friend uses here in France.

It comes in 8 flavors, 4 seafood 4 meat/poultry. Mixed in is the occasional chunk of carrot or green bean (must be for indoor cats).

I doubt she's being underfed because she pecks at the food throughout the day and only whines for more when human food is around. (Nothing new).

She's only lost some chub around her butt, so I can tell it's not a drastic change.

I'm going to have to see what is available in the US (I know Whiskas has packets, but I'm glad she doesn't like those.) When I'm back to paying in US dollars, I can afford a little better food.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 6 1:31 am

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Thu May 31, '12 2:56am PST 
So Tutu is a teeniebeenie compared to the average cat. When I adopted her two years ago she was about 8 lbs and 8 years old. As soon as she started living with us she started to gain weight. I couldn't figure out why, because I measured and counted and the food she was being given, a mix of kibble and canned food, should have been the right amount for her size.

But she kept gaining. frown

Then my vet said something that gave me an epiphany.... "some cats just gain weight from canned food". And because Tutu ONLY eats Fancy Feast (sigh) no KIDDING she gained weight on that stuff....

But right now we're in France where she does not like their canned food at ALL and barely ate ANYthing last year... .But from the advice of a friend, we tried a new brand of cat food - cheap stuff - but in packets. Our friend said she gives her cat 1.5 packs morning/evening and just leaves it out in the bowl and he nibbles on it occasionally. He's a teeniebeenie too, so I thought I'd try.

Now, since Tutu needs to lose weight, we're starting with 2 packets a day (it says 2-3), plus the occasional Happy Hips chicken treat.

AND IT WORKS!!! I haven't weighed her yet but she is visibly less chunky. AND SO SO ACTIVE!!! She's playing all day with her mousie.

Just felt like sharing my discovery.

Does anyone else feed their cat this way?

I was honestly worried about leaving the food out, but we don't get many bugs and I throw it away if it's left out for too long.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 6 1:31 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Cats and Baby Powder

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:16am PST 
Hello kitties...

Just a quick question regarding baby powder. I've read that talcum powder is BAD for cats, but apparently corn starch is not.

The baby powder we have at home is PURE corn starch and nothing else, but it does get on the bathroom floor in small amounts, not where the cat usually goes but a few feet from the litter box.

Is this a big no-no? Is it only an issue if inhaled? I'm mostly worried about her getting it on her paws, and then licking her paws.

Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 24 2:51 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Cat collars?

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:12am PST 
I use a break-away collar. Works great. She has on a couple occasions actually gotten caught on something and it did its job. I only keep one on her now because where we live gets REALLY cold and there are foxes and eagles and hawks... I want her returned home asap if she gets out.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 20 7:12 am

Senior Cats > At what age do you start giving "senior" food?
Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '12 3:51pm PST 
By healthy kibbles I mean the brands that don't use corn or cellulose.
She is rarely picky about kibbles but, naturally, LOVES the corn-based ones. But they just make her obese. So we've tried Halo which works but I want to try Taste of the Wild next, I think.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:52 pm

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Thu Feb 23, '12 8:09am PST 
Thanks kitties!!

I will continue to do what makes Tutu happy and give her healthy kibbles with her FF.

And you're right, it's not a crime to be a little pudgy. She should be between 8 and 9 lbs though, not 9 and 10! (She's a teenybeany!)
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:52 pm

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 7:08pm PST 
Hey all.

So my lovely adopted Tutu is anywhere between 8 and 10 years old, we're not entirely sure.

She recently had an exam and all her bloodwork and organs and even her hip joints are looking great. She just has some back problems in one specific area but nothing serious. I give her Catswell Happy Hips Chicken Treats that have the same exact ingredients as Cosequin which is a joint/cartilage health supplement for cats.

Anyway, my question is when I should switch her to senior-specific food. For canned food she wants nothing but Fancy Feast (sigh...) but she'll eat any healthy kibble I give her. Right now she has Halo Salmon with Omega-3. Her weight is hovering around just a little overweight but the vet said senior food may be an answer to what might be a slowed metabolism from her being spayed only 2 years ago.

I need to buy more kibble soon so I thought I'd ask the catsperts. I would like to keep giving her something to help with hairball maintenance (omega-3s help) but there's also low-cal kibbles out there.

Opinions?
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:52 pm

Behavior & Training > Does your cat gaze into your eyes?

Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '11 8:10pm PST 
Most people think that only humans, high primates (gorillas, chimps) do this because they can recognize an individual by seeing their facial features.

Likewise, most people say that cats and dogs dislike direct eye contact because it is seen as a dominance stance.

I know that my aunt's dog doesn't like looking me in the eye (and it's not because I'm not family, I'm definitely part of her pack!).

But my cat LOVES to gaze into my eyes. She also loves being cuddled. When she's snuggling in my lap, she hugs me with one arm, nestles her head into my chest, and gazes right into my eyes. I don't know what she's thinking when she does this, but it's definitely not a dominance stance! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 21 2:52 pm

Cats & Travel > To anyone who needs to bring their cat with them via plane...
Tutu

whatcha doooin?

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '11 8:06pm PST 
Also, I paid $200 for a ONE WAY ticket for my cat (all flights)... and $200 Euros from France to home.... *cringe*
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 8:06 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.