GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Food & Nutrition > confusing information about "Kitten" food
Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs

Purred: Sun Nov 4, '12 3:31pm PST 
Kitten foods generally have more protein in standard brands, but as the above poster said, most good quality foods have a "cat and kitten" formula that caters to both. Pick a good quality wet food (no mystery ingredients or grains, preferably) and she will be a-ok on a grown up formula.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 10 10:59 pm

Food & Nutrition > Can't afford canned food anymore... $60/monthly budget to feed 3 cats, help?
Memphis

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '12 3:45pm PST 
I feed my girls Soulistic and Wellness Core (when it is on sale). I order the 5.5 oz from Petco online. My latest order was $57 for 48 cans, with free shipping. You do get discounts if you use their card. Also, check other online sales sites -- if you buy in bulk, you beat the store price any day because they deliver to your door and normally have some sort of plus for autoship or a $5 off coupon or something.

Since you have 3 cats, you can buy 12 oz cans from Evo or California Naturals or even from Instinct. The bigger the can, the greater the value, but the trade off is that sometimes animals will turn up their nose at it after it's been in the fridge, like mine....with 3 cats, you can probably have them gobble it all up in a single meal, so no waste.

Keep in mind, cats eat until they get what they need. They may eat more cans of Friskies and Fancy Feast per day than if you feed them the quality you already do. This is a variation of another study I've seen before, but keep this in mind if you do switch foods. Going on the cheap ain't so cheap, always, because you have to up the number of cans the cats receive per day to get their nutrition.

http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/raw-feeding/how-much-do es-it-cost-to-feed-my-cat-or-i-can-afford-to-feed-commercial-raw/

There are tables attached, so that might give you some inspiration. You can do this! I'm a master's student, perpetually broke, but I love my fuzzies too.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 11:12 pm

Cat Health > UTI prevention in male cats

Memphis

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '12 3:28pm PST 
Wet food is the way to go. Once the infection has passed and he has finished his medications, I would go the wet route as others have described here. It's easier to constantly feed wet than have to jump back and forth between prescription and dry food -- normalizing the system is a good plan.

You know how people are advised to have 64 oz of water of day? Same idea -- cats need daily maintenance to be healthy. Granted, they were originally desert animals so they don't need a TON of water, but make sure they always have access to fresh water. I'd suggest a water fountain. I found a Petmate drinking fountain on Clearance for $10. Best money I ever spent.

If you think the cat is getting a UTI from holding it too long, you may want to investigate the litter box situation. Is it comfy? Safe? Big enough? Maybe get another one. I buy the standard jumbo size ones from Petco/Petsmart with the hood on, and I've never had problems.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 9:54 am

Cat Health > Hey Catster it's been a while...

Memphis

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '12 3:24pm PST 
Vaccinations should be started at 12 weeks, but you should take her into the vet even if she isn't that old yet just to establish her there in case of an emergency. Also, the vet can let you know what shots are required by law, and what ones you can leave off -- for example, rabies is required here in Texas. I could get my girls other yearly vaccines, but they are indoor only and past kittenhood, so they aren't likely to pick up these diseases.

Spaying can be done as soon as the cat hits 2 pounds -- a juvenile spay. Cats never need to go into heat. I took Memphis for her spay at 6 months, because she was a late kitten -- she was born in August. She probably wouldn't have gone into her first heat until the following spring due to the temperature drop, so I had time. Kittens born in March can go into heat in September of that same year. I would say get her spayed as soon as you feel comfortable with her health and at the vet's recommendation; again, you can do it as long the baby is 2 pounds.

I think there are special flea treatments for kittens, so again, vet visit would be a source of great advice, even if they do not give her vaccines yet.

Happy to hear about Attila. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 28 3:24 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > Catster moms age group

Memphis

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 4:00pm PST 
Meowmy was 23 when she found me, and 24 when she got Tenny. She's 26 now. Soooo a little of column C and a little of column D. big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Nov 7 8:29 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Ant Extermination
Memphis

Purred: Mon May 28, '12 3:49pm PST 
Hi all. The people below us in our apartment complex appear to have an ant problem. We only have the baby sugar ants coming upstairs so far, and before today, they mostly milled around the fridge, trying to find whatever water they could. I placed traps under the stove and fridge to try and thwart them. For about a week and change, I didn't see any.

Today, I found them making a conga line to the cat food bowls. I'm not a sloppy person, and the floor is washed/vacuumed regularly. I've Chlorox'ed and Lysol'ed the floor and I'm keeping the cats away from it for the rest of the day. Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the ants without poisoning the cats in the process?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 12:11 pm

Cat Health > Hairballs

Memphis

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 4:59pm PST 
Monitor the litter box to make sure all systems are go. If you are a little worried, give them some pumpkin (no pie filling! regular ol' stinky pumpkin) or a pat of butter, or buy some hairball remedy stuff from the story. Hairballs are unavoidable, but if you 'grease' their system properly, you can at least make them exit out the other way!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 29 5:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Discussion: Is too much love a bad thing?

Memphis

Purred: Mon May 21, '12 10:11am PST 
Hunty, too much lovin' is never a bad thing, especially in this context. I've heard that same criticism directed at me, and you know what? One poor cat died because of the owner did not care about how his kid treated the animal, and the other is a very nervous, neurotic cat hermit.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 21 10:11 am

Kitten Corner > New Kitten Mommy Questions

Memphis

Purred: Thu May 17, '12 9:47am PST 
Any breakables need to be put away. Kittens defy physics -- they will get up there somehow.

I don't know if a crate is necessary. If you can corral them into one room with their litter box, food, and toys -- like your bedroom -- they should be fine for the day, and minimal destruction should occur. 8 hours is a loooong time to be in a crate -- I would personally give them reign over a small area and then expand it as you're more confident nothing will happen. Memphis was in the bathroom for a few days while I was at work, then she got full run of the living room, and then finally my bedroom.

Food: Keep in mind that kittens are BIG eaters. They are growing -- if you check cat food cans, many have instructions like "feed x amount per 5 pounds of count. Kittens eat up to double this amount, and pregnant queens triple." Don't try to cut back on that.

I would only feed dry until they stop growing, and also make sure you have a high-quality dry, since you can't come home for lunch. Go grain-free. When I found Memphis, she was too little to chew kibble -- she wasn't blue-eyed anymore, but she was still quite a baby. Wet food overall is better for them -- cats aren't big water drinkers, and not enough moisture can lead to kidney and urinary problems, especially in boys. That said, I would leave a bowl of kibble out after I made sure she ate her wet breakfast. It will be better for you and them if you set up a feeding schedule. Get up in the morning at the same time you would start to get ready for work, and feed them. See how long it takes them to eat it all, if you need to give them more, etc. Then set out a kibble bowl, see how often they frequent it. Plan on taking the kibble away at your 'getting home time' so they have time to settle down before dinner, and then feed them wet again. And then after dinner, before you go to sleep, another wet meal. The kibble should get them through the day, but wet is super important.

Definitely try to get the same person to come over and check on them over the course of two days. Consistency for kitties is good. Also keep them confined to that one room so they aren't stir crazy in the crate. Let them have access to the crate if they want to hide out, though. Definitely keep them together.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 17 9:47 am

Kitten Corner > New Kitten Mommy Questions
Memphis

Purred: Sun May 13, '12 12:26am PST 
Time of day does not matter, but I would suggest early in the day, just so you can go to sleep that night not worrying about them. When Meowmy found me, she put me in the bathroom at night to make sure I didn't raise havoc when she was sleeping. However, I was a good girl and then she let me sleep with her by the third night.

Moving kittens and changing their diets is much easier to do when they are itty bitty than when they are older. They shouldn't have any problems with the move smile

Always make sure the babies have access to a litter box -- since you have 3, make sure you have at least two (some say one for each cat; I have a jumbo size for my two grown girls). Each one should have their own food and water dish. If you have a fountain, that's fine.

Kitten proofing: put away anything you don't want to be nommed on!! I was a biter, and I ate three ethernet cables, countless hairties, and Meowmy caught me chewing on an electrical cord! Any thing that you don't want knocked over or batted under a fridge also needs to be put away. It's like having a bunch of toddlers, honestly. Meowmy got this stuff called "loom tube cable" and she has her computer and TV wires in it so I couldn't nom on them.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Terminal-SL500-100-2-Inch-Tubing/ dp/B0017686ZC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336893785&sr=8-2

That first reviewer with a kitten is not Meowmy, but it could have been. Bitey Baby I was.

Go ahead and take the work week off. Do make it a point to go out or away for an hour or two, so they get used to being alone. Do you live close to work? Like close enough to stop in during lunch? Meowmy got me when she was working 4 hour shifts, so whenever I was unattended, I would put in the bathroom for a few hours with my toys and my bed and my box and my foodies. After a week or so of that, she let me have run of the apartment, but only for 4 hours. Then it got to 8 for when she got a full time job. I was a two month old kitten and she was letting me stay home by myself all day!

Stock up on Nature's Miracle Stain and Odor -- kitties will get hair balls or have an accident at some point.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 17 9:47 am

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.