Postings by Clark

GO!

Behavior & Training > Help me with hissing behavior

Clark

Purred: Tue Jan 18, '11 2:27pm PST 
It's strange that you mentioned Hyperesthesia. I just saw it in another thread and looked it up. I am curious if this could be it.
Clark is such a crazy cat. He is very loved and responds so well us yet some of his behavior which we have laughed at I find odd but I thought was normal.
He will sometimes go after his tail when he's in the cat tree as if it's not a part of him. He also licks his tail by the back of him. He will also go nuts as if something is chasing him around the house. He'll even make this funny "Meow" noise right before he takes off zipping around the house as if something is chasing him. It's the look in his eyes as he does this. Pupils dialated etc, we laugh at him when he does this. Now I wonder if perhaps its more than just him acting silly. My son has even affectionalty nicknamed him "Crazy Clark" because of the way he acts.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Clark, Jan 18 2:27 pm

Clark

Purred: Tue Jan 18, '11 6:56am PST 
anyone?
He just did it to me again yesterday. I didn't call him up on my lap, he did it on his own (as per usual)
He was sitting there for about 10 minutes. Out of the blue he looked at me and hissed for about 2 seconds so it's not a quick hiss.
He's just such a loving cat in so many other ways. He follows me around the house, talks to me, sleeps at my feet at night etc. This is just very disturbing.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Clark, Jan 18 2:27 pm

Clark

Purred: Mon Jan 17, '11 9:15am PST 
My male 4 1/2 year old cat has started something very disturbing to me. At first I thought it was funny and didn't tend to it because I wasnt really sure how to deal with it and my cat is such a lover and loves me that I didn't think he was purposly doing it towards me.
He will jump up on my lap as I am on the laptop, he will purr and I will pet him. He's kneading and so content. This lasts for about 5 minutes. All of a sudden without warning his ears will go back and he'll hiss at me.
I have gotten to the point now that I am a bit nervous when he comes up on my lap, I dont know if hissing will eventionally lead to biting me or attacking me though it hasn't as of yet. I have been telling him, "No, Clark" very firmly and pushing him off my lap as soon as he hisses at me.
This even happens when I dont pet him and he's on my lap so it's not from being overstimulated from too much petting.
It is happening about 5 times per week now. I don't understand where this is coming from. Nothing has changed in the household.
Am I dealing with this appropriately?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Clark, Jan 18 2:27 pm

Behavior & Training > How come my cat wont sleep with me anymore?

Clark

Purred: Mon Apr 19, '10 9:00am PST 
Ok be careful of what you wish for is the motto!
Clark has resumed sleeping with me 5 nights ago. Only now he waits till I fall asleep, I am a side sleeper and he sleeps so close to me on the back of my legs (my legs are sort of tucked up like in the fetal position when I sleep and where he lays is like he is being cradled between my butt and lower legs) that it is impossible to move positions in my sleep and it wakes me up! I go to move him to the middle of the bed by my feet and he's like dead weight. Then when I go back to sleep he goes to the same position again. No, Im not going to complain, I just going to say next time I'll be careful of what I wish for! ha ha
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kisu , Apr 19 12:15 pm

Behavior & Training > Male cat arousal...

Clark

Purred: Tue Apr 6, '10 2:16pm PST 
Clark does this all the time and I dont understand it. I had fleece blanket which used to always be on the couch. One day about 2 years ago I thought, "Oh how cute, Clark is kneeding the blanket he's a happy boy" then I looked closely and realized what he was doing. I said to him, "Clark dont dont you know you're neutered???" It sort of really turned me off to see it so I took the blanket from him. He started licking himself and I noticed he definitely did have an erection. I try not to have blankets that he likes around him if i do he starts kneading them and it progresses to humping them. He will drag blankets out of the closet even to have fun with them. I have no explanation to a neutered male doing this but it is weird.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jaguar, Apr 27 11:56 am

Behavior & Training > In need of help!!!
Clark

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 9:35pm PST 
I think I'd find an area away from others such as a laudry room that is enclosed and make sure your cat has food and water and shut her in for the night. I did that to my cat once when he thought 4am was a perfect wake up time for the whole family and kept walking around the house meowing. Once is ok. He did it 3 nights in a row. On the 3rd night he did it, I put food and water and one of his blankets in the laundry room and shut the door. It's only took that one time.
In the morning when I went to get him out he was sound asleep on his blanket. I dont think he was too traumatized from it. he didnt even come out for awhile after I opened the door!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Clark, Apr 4 9:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Is hissing always bad?

Clark

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 1:06pm PST 
Clark loves to come jump in my lap when I am sitting down with the laptop on the couch. I will type and then I can tell he gets annoyed that Im not paying 100% attention to him. I then start petting him. He loves it then he starts playing biting me. It doesnt hurt, no big deal. Then he changes from being playful and cute to hissing at my hand. That is when I say to him, "We are playing, you are taking this too serious" and I put him on the floor.
Is hissing ever part of play? I always thought if a cat hisses they are upset or annoyed or scared.
It is Clark that gets up on my lap, Clark that initiates the play that procedes to play biting. If this was all his choice why does it end up with him hissing? This is the only time I ever hear him hiss.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Aiu "Buddy", Apr 22 7:41 am

Behavior & Training > Coop\'s Playing with the Automatic Litter Box

Clark

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 1:00pm PST 
Oh my....I dont have any idea what you can do, I am laughing with you not at you because if I had one of those I could see Clark being the exact same way!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Coopurr, Apr 5 9:00 am

Behavior & Training > How come my cat wont sleep with me anymore?

Clark

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 6:18am PST 
I have a neutered 4 year old male cat. (domestic shorthair/Egyptian Mau) I am his favorite human in the family. He has always slept with me at my feet.
I went away on vacation for a week. That was over a month ago. When I returned home he was happy to see me and slept at my feet that night and the next night. Since then he sleeps on the couch at night where I normally sit during the day.
Nothing else has changed, he still follows me around the house, Still playful with me, still wants attention from me during the day, he just seems to have a new night routine after 4 years.
I have taken vacations in the past and he has never done this. In fact I do this about 3 times per year. My husband and older kids were here while I was gone so it's not like he was unattended to and left alone for that long. If his intent was to punish me you'd think it would only be for a day or two.
Can anyone tell me why Clark has changed his routine after 4 years!
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Kisu , Apr 19 12:15 pm

Egyptian Mau > Identifying Mau in a mixed breed
Clark

Purred: Fri Apr 2, '10 4:09pm PST 
I have been told by the vet that she thinks my Clark has Egyptian Mau in him. He's a rescue cat so we really dont know his background. I think he could be half Mau and half short haired tabby. He demonstrates all the character traits of a Mau. Very loyal, shoulder rider, loves his food, wants to be part of the family, not a lap cat, can jump super high, very active, hides his toys and then will find them again, gets annoyed if we shut doors, vocal with us if we "talk" to him.
He's got the "necklace" but it is not broken in the middle of his neck like the Mau's is. He's got a spotted belly and green eyes.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Moosie, Jan 13 12:39 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.