Postings by Beatrice (Miss You! '94-'12)

GO!

(Page 1 of 947: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > HELP!!!! Cat spay!! Seriously worrying.
Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Thu Oct 30, '14 2:53pm PST 
Feline spaying is a routine procedure. Complications are rare. I would be more worried about not doing it.

Good luck! Keep us posted. hug

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Irma Thomas, Nov 6 12:25 pm

Cat Health > Arthritis Lameness, Heart Arrythmia and Kidney failure

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sat Oct 18, '14 10:20pm PST 
Hi Sydney Romeo! big hug

Our family hasn't had a lot of experience with the things you mention, but you might try a glucosamine supplement for your hips.

I'm sending you an invitation to the Olde Furts. There are lots of kitties there who will be able to give you good advice.
kitty

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Beatrice (Miss You! '94-'12), Oct 18 10:20 pm

Cat Health > Older Cat Vomiting

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Wed Oct 1, '14 1:27am PST 
At her age, it could be kidney disease or hyperthyroidism. Those would both need to be diagnosed with blood tests. They are relatively treatable but she would need to be under the care of a vet.

You can try giving her 1/4 tablet of over the counter famotidine (Pepcid) every 12 hours, making sure it's the regular 10mg strength and not the extra strength or "complete" formulas. This should really only be done under a vet's supervision, but it could at least help the nausea while you find a way to get her to the vet.

There are some resources for pet guardians who need help with vet bills on this thread: http://www.catster.com/forums/Cat_Health/thread/384051

I'm also sending you an invitation to join a Catster group called "Olde Furts," whose members are very helpful and supportive to cat purrents who are taking care of an older kitty.

Sending purrs! hug

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Beatrice (Miss You! '94-'12), Oct 1 1:27 am

Cat Health > Skinny Kitty

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '14 9:37pm PST 
Check out the thread Need Help with Vet Bills? for some good resources on assistance for pet guardians.

Sending purrs for sweet Stormy! hug

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lady, Sep 27 11:44 pm

Cat Health > Pilling a cat for pepcid ac for CKD

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '14 5:41am PST 
We haven't tried Nutrical for pilling, though it's definitely good for a kitties who needs extra calories, so if it works with pills, great!

Have you tried Pill Pockets? They're kind of expensive but the dog ones are cheaper per ounce and come in bigger bags, but they're just as good for cats who have to take pills on a regular basis long term because you can just break off a small piece and squish it around the pill. Even if you use the ones for cats, you don't need a whole one, just enough to form a ball the size of a small pea.

If Kally won't accept the pill even wrapped in a treat like Nutrical or Pill Pockets, you can try using a syringe-style pill shooter (followed with treats). Your vet might have some available or you can check at your pet supply store. We've had luck using the thin ones with rubber tips.

Good luck! Keep us posted. hug

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ♥Kally Kat♥, Aug 28 3:07 pm

Behavior & Training > 22 year old cat starting to pee in the house

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sun Aug 17, '14 12:53pm PST 
How long has it been since he last saw the vet? In these cases, you always want to rule out a physical cause.

How many boxes does he have? Have there been any recent changes--new litter, new box, new location?

Is his box easy to get in and out of? If he's got arthritis, he might need a box with a lower entrance.

You might try putting a litter box in the spot that he's been using to pee. If it's in an inconvenient place, you can try moving it gradually once he gets used to using it.

Just throwing some ideas out there!

Good luck--keep us posted!hug

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Pablo, Aug 19 9:58 am

Party Time & Virtual Play Dates > The Foreign Legion

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sat Jul 26, '14 8:44pm PST 
*takes a white sheet and a pencil*

Sweet Fiend, sweet friend, sweet Jacques...thank you for bringing your love into the world and for sharing it with us.
Always your friend, Beastie

*drops in into the fire*

» There has since been 176 posts. Last posting by Ben, Jul 26 8:46 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > JACQUES

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Thu Jul 24, '14 9:30am PST 
Oh my goodness! My family is heartbroken to hear about sweet Jacques.
cry

He, Selket and Vijay were some of our first friends on Catster, and we spent many nights meowing with them into the wee hours at the LLS. Clan Fiend have been great friends to us, as well as many other Catsters.

We're sending all our love and purrs to the Cat Mother and the rest of Clan Fiend. Although we can be with them in purrson, we're with them in our hearts.
hug

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by TGM Gimli DB #101a, Jul 24 8:40 pm

Cat Health > Hyperthyroid Issue/Bad Reaction To Medication

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Tue Jun 10, '14 1:27pm PST 
BK makes a good point about the lower dose. Bea was on the lowest dose of the Felimazole for several months until her blood work showed that the low dose was no longer sufficient to keep her thyroid hormone levels in the normal range. I'm sure your vet had a good reason to want to give the higher dose sooner, but I wonder if she'd be willing to try the lower dose for a while and see if it helps.
shrug

Thanks for the update! Still sending purrs hug

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Jun 11 4:18 am

Cat Health > Hyperthyroid Issue/Bad Reaction To Medication

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Mon Jun 9, '14 10:09pm PST 
Bea was on Felimazole for hyperthyroidism for her last couple of years. It's hard to say how well she tolerated the medication, though, since she had chronic vomiting issues that weren't related to the thyroid condition. From what I've heard, though, crying and even some vomiting can be caused by the hyperthyroidism itself.

Has your vet suggested any other things to help with the symptoms/side effects? Bea took 1/4 tablet of Pepcid twice a day and it seemed to help her tummy issues. Another thing that helped was feeding her smaller meals more frequently. In her old age, she would only eat wet food so I used a timed feeder with a cold pack while I was at work or sleeping so she'd get food every 2.5 or 3 hours.

I know that Felimazole can be compounded into a topical cream that's rubbed into the inside of the ear, bypassing the stomach but we don't have any direct experience with doing it that way. I'm sure other Catsters can give you advice on that.

Our vet never discussed surgery but we did talk about treatment with radioactive iodine, which destroys the thyroid gland. It's pretty expensive but it does cure the problem. With Bea already being 16+ when she was diagnosed and the Felimazole being fairly affordable, we decided to go with the medication. Cody is quite a bit younger, though, so it might be an option for him.

Sending purrs! Please keep us posted! hug

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by BK, Jun 11 4:18 am

(Page 1 of 947: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.