Postings by Umesaburo

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Choosing the Right Cat > NEED to know my cats breed!!!
Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Wed Jan 18, '12 3:02pm PST 
Right. It is not that cats with single coats or long silky fur don't shed, but that the cottony undercoat seems to create more of an allergic reaction. Even my Maine Coons, who all come share some common ancestors, have differing fur types. Harvey and his sisters have long, silky fur that is never greasy and never mats. Umesaburo's children tend to be greasy, and though their fur is shorter, are more prone to mats. All in all, though, Spike seems to produce the most allergens, poor boy.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by P.C., Jan 20 9:27 pm

Grooming > Grooming (4 cats all longhaired)
Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '11 11:30am PST 
Greasy fur causes more mats. My Maine Coons were sired by Legend and Umesaburo. Umesaburo produces kittens that tend to be greasy and get matted quickly. Legend's children all have fur that is silky and doesn't need to be shampooed regularly. It took me a long while to realize that Umesaburo's children were having mat problems because they were greasy. Regular shampooing helps.

Mats must be detangled, if your cat will allow it. You can use scissors to cut the uppermost part of the mat, if you are VERY careful and take care not to cut the skin that is pulled up with the mat. Another handy tool is a seam ripper (the kind you have in your sewing box). After using scissors or a seam ripper to "start" the detangling, open the mat with your fingers. A wide toothed comb will help get the mat out, but may cause your cat to feel some pain. Regular shampooing and use of a metal comb will help prevent mats from forming. Take it from one who has learned the hard way.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Umesaburo, Nov 3 11:30 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > 1.5yr old Maine Coon needs a home. Ideas?

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 6:03am PST 
I couldn't access your photos. Maybe you could join Catster temporarily (it's free) and make a page for him, with lots of pictures. That would help.

Since he's intact, you might try asking some Maine Coon breeders or wannabe breeders. Going to a cat show might be the best way to find people, rather than sifting through cattery names on the Internet. Many junior breeders have trouble getting someone to sell them a stud. I almost bought a white, blue eyed, deaf MC stud, but since I live in an apartment, his constant wailing would present a problem. Someone who lives in a house and who doesn't mind hearing wailing upstairs and down the hall, or a breeder who has an actual stud living place that could contain the noise (it's not just deaf boys who yowl) might be interested, if he's a good specimen of the breed and has his papers. The cat I almost bought but didn't is said to father litters that are half white, half other colors; some of the white kittens are deaf, some not. Breeders and show cat owners aren't that bothered by deaf cats, and people who buy a pedigreed cat and agree to keep it indoors (obviously) often don't mind a deaf cat, even if it yowls. Even if a breeder or cat exhibitor doesn't want your cat, they might know someone who would. Ask around, and good luck.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Natalie the Natcat, Forever, Oct 11 11:56 am

Other Meows & Purrs > Fake Cats? Huh?

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Wed Sep 28, '11 9:09pm PST 
My mother needed a needle biopsy once and passed with flying colors. Better safe than sorry.
[notify]

» There has since been 323.8 posts. Last posting by ♥ Nina ♥ rehomed, Sep 15 3:41 pm

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Thu May 12, '11 12:09pm PST 
I think he got scared by Henry. I know that if I let him roam around with Henry in the vicinity, Henry will attack him. And who gets injured? Henry, of course. Ume got him good one time--a nice big scratch on Henry's nose. Henry's a bully.
shock
[notify]

» There has since been 682.8 posts. Last posting by ♥ Nina ♥ rehomed, Sep 15 3:41 pm

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Thu May 12, '11 9:24am PST 
BooBoo--Keep the lights low, put on some mood music, plug in the Feliway, keep the 'nip flowing...and Nature will take its course.
dancing

Umesaburo sez, "I haven't gotten any action for two years! I need a WOMANCAT! NOW!"
[notify]

» There has since been 685.8 posts. Last posting by ♥ Nina ♥ rehomed, Sep 15 3:41 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Do intact males always spray?

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Sat Mar 19, '11 5:42pm PST 
Well, studs often stay intact until they're five or six, and I've heard of a few who never spray, even when there are other intact males nearby. However, I've only heard this from Maine Coon breeders, and Maine Coons tend to mature later than other cats. As for strong-smelling urine--oddly, Umesababuro's urine doesn't smell very strongly, but Spike's does. Spike was neutered when he was around 5 months old, and never sprayed before that, but perhaps it has something to do with his being a shorthaired moggy, or a former feral, or none of the above. Intact females spray, too, although I'm not sure whether their urine smells particularly strong.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 22 9:37 pm

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Fri Mar 18, '11 4:55am PST 
Yeah, I can't see the point of having an intact cat unless you're a breeder. They say that neutered males, in general, are the most affectionate of all cats. Right now, I need a stud to service the three of my queens who are Umesaburo's daughters, but before I buy one (I'm dilly dallying over color), I'm going to get stud service from my mentor's cat, who is, apparently, a big sprayer. She's offered to sell him to me, but...
thinking
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 22 9:37 pm

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Thu Mar 17, '11 5:03am PST 
As BooBoo says, not always. I have one stud in my cattery (Umesaburo, who is intact, natch), and he doesn't spray. He was my breeder's stud, and didn't spray when he was there, either. However, he's never lived with another stud, or a cat who does spray. He might start spraying if I get another stud, but maybe not. A breeder friend of mine who has several studs says she uses "mind control" to keep her boys from spraying. (She tells them that they'll have to go back to their cages if they spray.) It may depend to a degree on breed, but some Maine Coons are real sprayers. It might also depend on a cat’s background. Spike marks clothing left on the floor, although that could be more of a complaint that the toilets are dirty than anything else. He was a rescued feral, so he may be more territorial than cattery cats. Catteries, obviously, must keep their intact males and females separate, but the intact boys are often kept in a separate room or outbuilding, and/or in cages, in order to contain the odor. This is one aspect of breeding that I’m not fond of. A stud’s career can be as long as five years, and it can be a lonely five years if they are caged and isolated. Some people use diapers or stud pants for their intact males. As for hormonal or other treatments to keep an intact male from spraying, I haven’t heard of those. I have heard of “teaser toms,” who are males who have not been castrated but have had vasectomies. They are capable of mating with sexually frustrated females but not of impregnating them. I have also heard of using hormones to regulate the heat cycles of intact cattery queens, but don’t know of anyone who resorts to this. Umesaburo sees and smells the intact females, and shows no evidence of sexual interest in them. He may have a weak libido.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jun 22 9:37 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Is this actually possible? Odorless Cat Urine?
Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Fri Mar 11, '11 11:45pm PST 
I've noticed that there can be a difference in the odor of cat pee, even with cats who are all eating the same thing. Umesaburo is not fixed (he's a stud--duh, fixed cats can't procreate), and former feral Spike (neutered at the usual time) has stinky urine that stains clothing. Go figure. Some of my cats are stinkier than others. But it is true that unfixed tomcat urine does have a distinctive stink--you can smell it outdoors in Tokyo or at cat shows. I have to resign myself to the fact that my next stud will probably be a stinky sprayer...As for going back and back to the same spot to pee, that's not automatically true, either. My cats have preferred surfaces--if there's an article of clothing on the floor, it's fair game, no matter where it's located. They will also go on top of paper. At one time, there was a lot of junk paper under my desk that they were peeing on, but now that I've gotten rid of the junk paper, they no longer do that. So, don't freak out.

A housekeeper?!? I sure could use one of those...
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kisu , Mar 14 10:55 am

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.