Postings by Gleshka

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Matatabi / Silvervine / Japanese Catnip
Gleshka

Purred: Sun Apr 24, '11 9:50am PST 
I recently heard of Matatabi, or Japanese Catnip. It's a vine (Actinidia polygama) native to Japan and aparently has a similar effect to catnip. Also known in English as Silvervine. Aparently, it's related to Kiwi fruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinidia

Maru loves it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEgh1AmT9u0&feature=player_emb edded

Anyone know how to obtain this in the U.S.? I did some searches online but not much success.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by silvervine, Aug 11 2:16 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Fostering
Gleshka

Purred: Tue Jan 4, '11 2:40pm PST 
I bet you have one of those studio appartments. Those are cool.

Yeah, so, since last night went so well I thought, "What the heck. I'll leave my bedroom door open."

Heh heh. Not such a good idea.

Not that there was any blood shed or anything. Is decided to burrow into the boxspring tight as a tick and she and Mr G had a hissing competition.

"Hey! That's MY hidey hole!"
"Is NOT..!"
"Is TOO..!"

Not conducive to slumber! I finally pursuaded her out and back into her room.

Kids! ...or should I say... Kits!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gleshka, Jan 4 2:40 pm

Gleshka

Purred: Mon Jan 3, '11 4:35pm PST 
Wow. I can't imagine trying to foster more than one cat in a one bedroom appt! How many cats do you foster at a time BK?

Also, thanks for your support, Dodger!

So far, things are progressing nicely. Tonight when I got home, Is and Gleshka touched noses! I think they're gonna be just fine together. I;m letting Is have the run of the house tonight just to see how it goes. Mr G has been very talkative tonight! But, you know, in a good way - not like all yowly or anything. Oh, what am I saying - you folks are cat people you know what I mean. Is came out in the living room and hid under the sofa, and then Gleshka starting rubbing up against the sofa meowing as if to say, "Come on. I'm friendly! I don't bite."

The only room I'm keeping her out of is my bedroom. Gleshka has managed to tear a hole in the liner of the boxspring and if she gets up in there there'll be no fishing her out!

I think Gleshka may be okay with us having other fosters. He's taken this a lot better than I thought he would. Of course, it also helps that Is, er, is such a sweetheart.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gleshka, Jan 4 2:40 pm

Gleshka

Purred: Thu Dec 30, '10 1:26pm PST 
Thanks for your response MFF!

I got my first foster with Forgotten Felines this past Tuesday, a little calico called Isabella. I have a spare bedroom I've set up as a cat room with a cat tree by the window, food, water, litter box and some cat toys. Since I've got the week off from work I can supervise the progress she's making settling in. So far she's a bit shy as to be expected but I think she'll come out of her shell eventually. Every couple of hours I go into her room and spend some time with her and she's happy to come out and visit when I do, though she's not ready to jump up on my lap yet. She's happy being petted, though. Not too interested in her toys. Her former foster mom told me she's never shown much interest in toys. She's a momcat who's been a long term foster. She's very sweet.

Gleshka and she had a brief introduction the other day. She's curious about the rest of the house and Gleshka was curious about what was going on in the room I kept disappearing into. He kept looking around with this look like, "Something's different. I just don't quite know what it is..."

As I was headed out of the cat room yesterday afternoon, Isabella was hanging around the door looking to make an exit and Gleshka was hanging outside the room trying to figure out what was going on... and there they were, face to face right at my feet! Well, there was a little hissy fit but both of them seemed to be equally scared of each other. If i were put to it, though, I'd have to say that Isabella is most likely the less dominant of the two. I can't quite put my finger on why I say that, but that's just the way it appears to me.

I like the idea of a cat crate for the future but it's not needed right now. Isabella is flea free and had her shots, etc so I'm not worried about any quarantining issues right yet. Just keeping them separate so they can acclimate. Plus I just bought a Litter Robot and I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment. I hope a new cat AND a new litterbox isn't too much at once for poor Gleshka but he seems to be okay for the moment.

Thanks again for your post. I'll post again when updates are available!

I don't know when I'm going to let Isabella free roam yet. I'm still working on the scent exchange as you mentioned. Maybe give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes, but will still keep her in the cat room while I'm gone at work next week.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Gleshka, Jan 4 2:40 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Can cats choose their companions?

Gleshka

Purred: Sun Dec 26, '10 8:59am PST 
Just a quick update - I contacted a group called Forgotten Felines and I'm going to be fostering a momcat for awhile. She's coming on Tuesday of this week. I'm fostering momcat because I think the kits will be adopted out fairly quick but momcat probably won't - that's usually the way of it. Wish us luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gleshka, Dec 26 8:59 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Power of Purr Chain
Gleshka

Purred: Thu Dec 23, '10 9:54pm PST 
I am cat.

My pedigree? Felis silvestris lybica.

On Tharsis' copper shore
I comforted the dead,
Nine thousand years past your memory.

In Kemet's dawn was worshipped,
daughter of Bast and Sekhmet's pride.
The Eye of Ra.

I wept at Rama's exile
and slept upon the Prophet's sleeve.

I bear the mark of the thirteenth letter
and black is my lucky color...
when I ship off to sea.

I am Muezza,
Greymalkin,
Maneki Neko,

Slayer of the Rat of Black Death,

Steed of Freya and Cait Sidhe,

Friend of Hywel the Good, the Just.

My socks have strode the White House.

I am in your streets and lanes,
your scriptures and philosophy.

I have bestowed my gifts upon you,
heedless of your indifference.

No Hamlet to Schroedinger's
"to be or not to be"...

To those who honor me
shelter me
care for me
greve my passing

I am compassion personified
...as well as pride. For

I am cat.

Hear me Purr.
[notify]

» There has since been 384 posts. Last posting by Strega, Sep 21 9:58 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > On a knife-edge......poor \'Jimmy Riddle\'......

Gleshka

Purred: Thu Dec 23, '10 7:52pm PST 
Enjoyed reading your story, Jimmy! Glad you are in out of the cold!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tambolina, Apr 11 7:18 am

Gleshka

Purred: Thu Dec 23, '10 6:23pm PST 
Hello. I'm thinking about volunteering my time to foster cats for a local shelter and I'm interested to hear from you experienced foster parents about the experience.

A few concerns I have:

1) I work long and sometimes chaotic hours and I worry that I might not have the time to devote myself to the task of fostering a cat with special needs, though, I do have some experience with caring for cats with sppecial needs.

2) I'm worried that Gleshka will find the experience of having strange new kitties in and out of his house all the time distressing and confusing.

3) How on earth do you not end up getting attached and wind up adopting someting like sixteen cats??

Thanks in advance for your consideration
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Gleshka, Jan 4 2:40 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Looking for a clingy cat that likes to travel... ("dog-like")

Gleshka

Purred: Mon Dec 20, '10 8:36pm PST 
Many many years ago a good friend of mine had a ragdoll named Bodhi. He used to go hiking with us in the woods behind the house. He would come when you called him. Even if he did go off to investigate something, all you'd have to do is say "C'mon Bodhi!" and he would come right along! Definetly the most "dog-like" cat I've ever known.

Also had a feral that adopted me and my ex for awhile. When we would go for walks in the evening, he'd keep up with us. Couldn't keep him in the house, though. He would have scratched a nice cat-sized hole in the door if we didn't let him out. One day, he just didn't come home again. We never knew what happened to him. We checked the shelters and put up posters... no luck. Wherever you are, Ozzy, miss you boy! Hope all's well with you.If you aren't with us anymore, I hope to see you on the other side!

(BTW... Ozzy - as in Ozzy Osbourne - should give you some insight into his personality.)
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 7 11:57 am

Cats and a Clean Home > The best litter for multiple cat use?
Gleshka

Purred: Mon Dec 20, '10 8:10pm PST 
Curious if any of you have seen this in the news portion of catster:

http://blogs.catster.com/kitty-news-network/2010/12/20/a rizona-man-turns-tires-into-cat-toilets/

What do you think about this stuff and do you think it will work in a multiple cat household? I'm sceptical...
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by FOREST, Mar 29 11:47 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.