GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Home made cat food!!! Beginner! Help!
Nadia

Lick, lick. I- love to lick...

Purred: Sat Jan 21, '12 9:41am PST 
Hi there Hazel Basil (what a cute tortie you are),

You might find some more info on homemade diets on Dr. Jean Hofve's Little Big Cat website . I believe she has info on cooked as well as raw diets. There's a lot of good info on the whole site under the nutrition and health areas, etc.

I think the kibble lovers just have to get used to a new food and there are also tips and tricks for getting kitties more interested in wet foods. Dr. Pierson has a whole page on transitioning kitties to wet food (canned, raw or homemade) at catinfo.org. One thing Mom does is sprinkle some freeze-dried chicken treats on our food if we are feeling picky, and that helps.

Good luck with the homemade cat food. You kitties are lucky that your mom is interested in homemade food and wants to give you a healthy diet. kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 3 7:32 am

Cat Health > Cat fancys articles on "diets"
Nadia

Purred: Thu Nov 24, '11 7:38am PST 
Really frustrating! This is bad.

Well said, Tiny and Angel! You understand feline nutrition.

I will try to find the article and write something too.

Thanks for the information and also for taking the time to contact them with your thoughts. applause

Let's hope they get the message.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 2:05 pm

Food & Nutrition > Please help me this is my first cat

Nadia

Purred: Thu Nov 10, '11 8:29am PST 
I think you're lucky to have a vet that 'demanded' you feed Eleka wet food! That's not too common. I have to agree with the others about wet food being healthier for a number of reasons. The site Shadow gave you explains it well.

There are ways to save money with wet food - the larger cans (12 or 13 ounce) can help you save some money, and check around for prices - prices can vary at different stores. Wellness and a couple other brands offer the large cans. As far as the soft stools, sometimes it just takes kitty's systems some time to adjust to wet food if they have been on dry for a while. Actually any new food can cause some soft stools, but they should normalize over time.

Best wishes!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 10 1:19 pm

Food & Nutrition > Diet cat food?

Nadia

Purred: Wed Oct 5, '11 7:40pm PST 
The diet cat foods apparently also decrease the fat content, and then they have to increase the carbs (grains etc), and I've heard that some cats actually gain weight on these diets (or stay overweight). confused
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 7 5:24 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > BooBoo has left the Shanty...

Nadia

Purred: Sat Jun 18, '11 9:22am PST 
We're so sorry you had to say goodbye to Booboo. It sounds like you two had a special bond.

Rest peacefully now, sweet Booboo... rainbow hug
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 8:22 pm

Food & Nutrition > Needing better quality, yet affordable, canned food ideas
Nadia

Purred: Mon May 30, '11 9:59am PST 
Hi Anna Belle, have you tried the large Wellness cans (12.5 oz)? We can get the large cans at small speciality pet stores for $2.19 - $2.29. There's only one small store that has the $2.19 price, but a number of others have it for $2.29. I don't know what type of stores you have in your area, but for us the smaller pet stores have better prices (and selection) compared to the Petco type and other chain places.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jun 11 8:14 am

Food & Nutrition > Seriously guys, we need to take it down a notch.

Nadia

Purred: Mon May 9, '11 8:24pm PST 
Hi Lola, I understand what you're saying. I DIDN'T find your posts offensive. But this was the topic of this whole long thread and others might have felt that way. If you reread the bottom of my post..."And even though the one response didn't address the question about "healthier kibble", was it wrong for someone to share information that they believe would be beneficial and something that perhaps the OP was not aware of? The cat was doing what they thought was helpful and not harassing, in my opinion."

My brother is Gump and that is what he was basically saying throughout this thread. I am grateful when people share more about feline nutrition.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , May 10 10:22 am

Nadia

Purred: Mon May 9, '11 2:16pm PST 
Hi BooBoo, I looked at that thread (and I was thinking that perhaps that was the one the OP was referring to). There were actually 7 responses about different 'healthier' dry foods given. The first post was a bit in your face about the problems with dry food, but that cat also suggested Wellness Core dry as a kibble option as a follow up. People have different styles when communicating and some people (or cats) just say things directly or in their own way. Yes, I understand that the first response didn't answer the question, but there were many responses that did. And, another point, sometimes when people first "get into" something (be it learning about feline nutrition or something else) they may be a bit more intense about it and eager to share the info. Maybe we can give people a little bit of a break ~ everyone can learn and improve (however, I didn't see anything bullying or harassing in that thread). And overall the large majority of that thread addressed the question and mentioned different kibble options. Purrs.

Edit: And even though the one response didn't address the question about "healthier kibble", was it wrong for someone to share information that they believe would be beneficial and something that perhaps the OP was not aware of? The cat was doing was they thought was helpful and not harassing, in my opinion. And the question was eventually fully answered with many responses.
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , May 10 10:22 am

Raw Food Diet > NV medallions

Nadia

Purred: Mon May 9, '11 1:18pm PST 
Hi Tasha,
We've had that a couple times. Sometimes we've put the original bag within another 'ziplock' bag because sometimes it doesn't seem to seal well (we also feed Primal which is very similar). Another thought is you could put a few of the medallions into individual sealable baggies and then put those into a larger ziplock bag. You could put the amount you would feed for a couple days and then it would also be easier to just take out the individual baggies to thaw. Just some thoughts!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 9 6:29 pm

Nadia

Purred: Mon May 9, '11 9:54am PST 
I've only seen Nadia drink water a couple times in over two years. She eats only canned food and raw. I've put her near the water dish and she really isn't interested in lapping up any of it.

My other cat who also eats only canned and raw and does drink water, but he is 17 and has been diabetic and has some kidney insufficiency. I do think that healthy cats who are getting moisture from their food don't drink much additional water. But, you should always have fresh water available all the time!
[notify]

» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by , May 10 10:22 am

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.