GO!

(Page 1 of 197: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Which dry cat food?
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jul 21, '14 12:37pm PST 
Although it may be true that a few grains won't cause a problem in a cat with no health issues, there are some bigger problems you may not have considered.

First is moisture. A cat's body is designed to get all its fluids from its food. They have a low thirst drive and can not drink enough water to make up for the lack of moisture in dry food. This leads to many urinary and kidney issues.

Second, even though dry food may be grain free, it's not CARB free. You need something to hold it together in those kibble shapes and they use other products besides grain. Because cats are obligate carnivores (meat, meat and more meat) their bodies can't handle the amount of carbs in dry food. This can lead to obesity and diabetes.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider when you're deciding what to feed.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Tue 9:09 pm

Cat Health > Anxiety- Food allergy?
BK

Purred: Sun Jul 20, '14 11:07am PST 
These are not symptoms of a food allergy, I wouldn't worry about that. I would get them both off the kitten chow but there's nothing wrong with feeding FF. If you do decide to upgrade, do it so slowly she doesn't notice. Start with the tiniest amount of new food mixed in with her FF for a few days. Then add the tiniest bit more. It doesn't matter if it takes weeks or even months.

She does sound particularly high strung. If she's been given a clean bill of health from the vet you might try something like Feliway to keep her more relaxed.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sun 11:07 am

Raw Food Diet > on raw diet for IBS but now has kidney/renal problems. low protein recommended .. help!

BK

Purred: Thu Jul 17, '14 7:17pm PST 
I believe low protein for CRF has been disproved. The correct diet is low phosphorus. Unfortunately this probably eliminates a commercial raw food. You might consider making ground raw (no bones) where you can add calcium without the phosphorus. If this is something you're interested in and need a recipe, send me a paw mail.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Thu 7:17 pm

Raw Food Diet > Cat throws up only raw food

BK

Purred: Wed Jul 16, '14 9:29pm PST 
This is really strange. It's not a particular protein, it's all of them? Or are you mixing them? And he'd been eating raw before with no trouble?

The only thing I can think of to suggest is to try cooking something. Maybe get some chicken and cook it a bit and see if he throws that up. A week or two of unbalanced meals will be ok while you test things. If he can eat the cooked meat without any problems and he goes a week without vomiting, then you can start reducing the cooking time and adding in supplements - although you might want to add those in one at a time to see if that's causing the vomiting. I can't think of anything else to suggest - maybe someone else will have an idea.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Thu 3:52 pm

Cat Health > Kitten with bald patches and brown ear wax buildup

BK

Purred: Mon Jul 7, '14 11:46am PST 
Every time I try to reply to this Catster says I'm using bad words and won't let me! All I'm trying to say is that if the injection doesn't work I think you'll have to look for a specialty vet. Let us know what happens after your vet visit.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 11:46 am

Cat Health > Kitten with bald patches and brown ear wax buildup
BK

Purred: Sat Jul 5, '14 11:39am PST 
When I read your headline my first thought was allergies, because skin and ear issues often go hand in hand. But looking at the pictures, I'm not sure. I don't know anything about scabies so I'm not saying your vet is wrong. Do you know what the shots are? I would have thought they'd at least do a skin scraping to see what they're dealing with. Do you have a dermatologist in your area? If this doesn't clear up after the shots and your vet doesn't have any other ideas, that's where I would take her.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 11:46 am

Food & Nutrition > Salmon & Tuna Water

BK

Purred: Wed Jul 2, '14 10:57am PST 
Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you had an emergency where the cat wasn't eating and you needed to entice them. There are just too many contaminants (including mercury) in our fish supply and some cats get "hooked" on the strong fish flavor. But as a very rare treat I think you'd be ok.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 2 10:57 am

Food & Nutrition > Cat does not want to transition to grain-freee -- ideas?

BK

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '14 11:31am PST 
It's not quite clear, but are you talking about dry food? If so, you might want to consider switching him to a canned diet. There are some excellent points at this website, written by a vet, on why and how to make the switch: catinfo.org.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 1 11:58 pm

Raw Food Diet > Smelly poop on raw chicken breast diet

BK

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '14 11:27am PST 
I'm not at all suggesting that the raw food caused anything. But there are certain parasitic organisms that can lurk in the gut. It could be from before he came to you. It's just a good idea to have a fecal exam done so you can be sure what you're dealing with, if anything. If he's clear of all parasites you might try adding a probiotic to his food - there may be some kind of imbalance going on in his gut.

As far as weight, raw tends to build a sleek, muscular body. Does he want to eat more than you're giving him or does he eat his fill and leave?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 1 12:04 pm

Raw Food Diet > Smelly poop on raw chicken breast diet
BK

Purred: Sat Jun 28, '14 11:47am PST 
I don't think using thighs will make a difference, but yes, take half the skin off. You can try turkey. You also might want to have a fecal exam done. There could be something lurking in her system, like coccidia or giardia.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 1 12:04 pm

(Page 1 of 197: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.