Close X

Postings by BK

GO!

(Page 1 of 214: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > Preventing constipation?
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon May 23, '16 11:34am PST 
You can add some plain psyllium husk or slippery elm powder added to her food. Both contain fiber which should help things along.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, May 23 11:34 am

Raw Food Diet > Rotation of proteins
BK

Purred: Tue May 3, '16 4:17am PST 
If they'll only eat red meats, that's fine. Give as much variety as you can and it will be ok. But if you'd feel better adding poultry just add a small amount to the red meat and increase slowly. You can try different toppers to get them more enthusiastic - things like freeze dried liver, bonito flakes, etc. Once they're eating well with the topper you can decrease the amount.

You could also try different prepared foods (Radcat is a big favorite) or make your own. There may be something particular that they go crazy for.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Blade, May 4 7:59 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > bladder stone diet

BK

Purred: Sun Apr 17, '16 5:06am PST 
Mr D, the dry food definitely contributes to urinary issues. A cat can't physically drink enough water to keep their kidneys and urinary systems flushed. Their bodies are designed to get their moisture from food. If you're not comfortable with a raw diet at least get them on low carb canned so you can keep their systems flushed and avoid UTIs, crystals, stones, etc. It's unlikely they'd eat raw if they won't eat canned first anyway. There are some great tips on ibdkitties.net on how to switch from kibble to canned - hope they can help you.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Athena (In Memory), Apr 27 7:59 pm

BK

Purred: Sat Apr 16, '16 4:51am PST 
I know I answered this last night - darn Catster fleas! It's really interesting that this is happening on a raw diet with plenty of moisture. I've heard of idiopathic urinary issues but it's so rare. If you can find out what kind of stones/crystals they are, you may be able to tweak the diet to help. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Athena (In Memory), Apr 27 7:59 pm

BK

Purred: Fri Apr 15, '16 7:39am PST 
The most important thing for treating any kind of bladder or urinary issue in cats is moisture. Feed wet or raw food only and add water. This keeps the urinary system flushed to avoid crystals and other issues. Do you know what kind of stones they are - struvite or calcium oxalate?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Athena (In Memory), Apr 27 7:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > raw and CRF
BK

Purred: Sun Apr 3, '16 12:03pm PST 
I like Dr. Pierson's ground recipe on catinfo.org and I would substitute eggshell for the bone. You need 1/2 tsp of ground eggshell for each pound of meat/organ. That site will also have a lot of other helpful info. Let me know if you need anything else.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Apr 3 12:03 pm

BK

Purred: Sat Apr 2, '16 4:22am PST 
Their website should be able to tell you that. If not, are you able to make your own? I can point you to a good recipe for CRF if you're interested.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by BK, Apr 3 12:03 pm

BK

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '16 4:31pm PST 
A raw diet is great for CRF. The trick to feeding raw (or any food) to a CRF cat is to keep the diet low in phosphorus. This means no bone - you should use eggshell for calcium instead. If you want to feed commercial raw I would recommend RadCat, which uses eggshell. If you're feeding any canned you can look into a phosphorus binder. It's a powder that you add to the food which soaks up the phosphorus so it gets eliminated in the stool rather than absorbed into the bloodstream. Hope this helps!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Apr 3 12:03 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > recipes for ckd cat

BK

Purred: Mon Feb 15, '16 4:57am PST 
Whitey, I'm afraid these recipes don't sound very good for ANY cat, not just CKD cats. The rice and potatoes are unnecessary carbs (leads to obesity and diabetes) and new studies are showing that cats with kidney disease should not be on low protein diets: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/Why-Feline-Kidney-Insufficienc y-is-still-Tricky-to-Treat/

How is Whitey doing?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Feb 15 4:57 am

Cat Health > A lump?
BK

Purred: Mon Dec 14, '15 1:18pm PST 
In my opinion a lump is a necessary trip to the vet. There are just too many things it could be and they'll probably need to do some tests.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Dec 17 2:56 pm

(Page 1 of 214: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.