Postings by BK

GO!

(Page 1 of 206: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Raw / natural cat treats
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Mar 1, '15 4:29am PST 
I've always used hearts and gizzard as treats but maybe you could look into drying your own meat? I don't have a clue how to do it but I know there are ways to make jerky - if you followed those directions it should work.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Today 4:29 am

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw - have some questions...
BK

Purred: Wed Feb 25, '15 4:05am PST 
One of the good things about Frankenprey is that you can/should feed a wide variety of proteins so there's less chance of them getting tired of anything. But yes, we've all been through that "not hungry" phase and it's annoying! As long as they're eating I wouldn't worry about it. Better to have them self-regulate than overeat. If they're not hungry just try again later.

And using that prepared raw in rotation or as a treat is fine if they like it!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Wed 4:05 am

BK

Purred: Tue Feb 24, '15 4:49am PST 
No need to apologize! It can feel overwhelming at first but trust me, it gets easier.

Yes, it's the protein that's important to rotate. Don't worry about getting variety in the organs.

Not sure if I mentioned this previously but the catinfo recipe can also be made with eggshell instead of bone if you don't want to lay out the money for a grinder. And given that your guys seem to prefer chunks so far, I wouldn't buy a grinder. I always tell people that although we think we decide on their diet, they get the final vote. If your guys seem to prefer chunks now, I think you'll be able to get them to eat bone.

Advice on the necks - choose small ones, especially to start. And you probably do this already but place them in a plastic bag in a bowl of warm water to thaw quickly and/or to bring them to "mouse temperature". Most cats don't like cold food and warming raw will help bring out the smell that attracts them.

Are those the only ingredients in that new commercial raw? If so, it doesn't sound bad.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Wed 4:05 am

Raw Food Diet > Expired Raw

BK

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '15 4:24am PST 
I would use it. There's so much leeway with those dates and as long as they've been properly frozen I don't see the harm.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Tue 10:40 am

BK

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '15 4:22am PST 
And keep trying with the necks. It takes them a while to realize it's part of the meal and to work up the jaw strength to get through them.

The whole idea with Frankenprey is that you should feed as much variety as possible and you don't have to supplement. With a ground recipe supplements are recommended because you don't know what nutrients are lost during grinding/freezing. I would give the fish oil but not worry about the eggs or other supplements unless you're only going to feed chicken.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by BK, Wed 4:05 am

Raw Food Diet > Dragging food onto the carpet
BK

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '15 4:15am PST 
Excellent report - see, you've got them well trained!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Mon 4:15 am

BK

Purred: Sun Feb 22, '15 4:45am PST 
You're off to a great start! Now you just need to get the diet balanced. Try the necks and see if they'll eat them. Bone should be 10% of their diet which will probably work out to a couple necks a week (when you weigh them, remember that the necks are not completely bone - there's meat on there too). If they won't eat the necks you may have to add eggshell to the ground mixture to get calcium and minerals into them.

With regard to the kidneys: chicken kidneys are tiny and I don't recommend trying to source them. The beef kidney should be fine - it's true that allergies are usually only to the protein and not the organs. But if you check out Greenmarkets, butchers or ethnic groceries you should be able to find other kidneys like lamb or pork. Remember this should only be 5% of the diet so you don't need much.

It's the protein that should be varied. You can use chicken livers and whatever kidney you end up with exclusively unless you find others easy to source.

If you're grinding I so recommend supplementing with taurine and some other supplements just in case anything is lost in the grinding/freezing process. I use the recipe on catinfo.org for supplements.

I think that's everything - keep us posted!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by BK, Wed 4:05 am

Cat Health > Vet thinks I may have IBD

BK

Purred: Fri Feb 20, '15 5:50am PST 
I'm going to disagree with Chloe here and say that in my opinion for an obligate carnivore there is no such thing as too much protein. Kidneys are affected more by high phosphorous than high protein. That said, with an IBD cat that is losing weight it's important to feed your cat the healthiest food you can afford that agrees with them. Prednisolone can be an important tool to reduce inflammation and can help reduce vomiting. Are your symptoms more vomiting or diarrhea? Either or both can be present with IBD and it's best to get them under control. Depending on which symptom(s) you have you can use different approaches. If you give us some details about your symptoms we can make some suggestions.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Feb 22 7:20 am

BK

Purred: Thu Feb 19, '15 6:05am PST 
Yes to the venison! Some kitties are real red meat kitties and venison is a great protein. If it's only muscle meat don't forget to give a chicken neck and some organs to balance it out.

If you have access to farmers' meat you should see if they do any grinding! Also, it gives you access to a great variety of proteins for Frankenprey if they'll sell to you directly. As for organs, poultry hearts and gizzards count as muscle meat, not organs but both are great. Any liver is fine if they'll eat it and for your "other" organ you can try kidney or sweetbreads. I doubt there are other organs that they'll sell you that would be considered secreting organs.

And yes, I've heard of people feeding mice or chicks (known in the raw feeding world as "whole prey") but that's where my squeamish line is drawn, lol. It's the perfect food if you can do it and if they'll eat it.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by BK, Wed 4:05 am

Behavior & Training > How to read very shy new cat?
BK

Purred: Wed Feb 18, '15 4:59am PST 
You're doing fine. Some shy cats just take a long time to come around. The key is just patience. You'll see baby steps, like you have been. He may never be a lap cat but he sounds like he's on his way to trusting that he's in a safe place and can start relaxing. Hang in there - it's worth it!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Felix, Tue 7:10 pm

(Page 1 of 206: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.