Postings by Guest ID 977151

GO!

Cat Health > My kitty has Hepatic lipidosis

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:32pm PST 
I just wanted to post an update on my kitty, Pickle, so this thread can be helpful to someone else in the future.

Pickle had to stay at the vet for a couple of days. They still could not get her to eat any food, so they gave us the option of a feeding tube inserted into her esophagus. We decided to go ahead with it, they inserted it and we took her home the next day.

I do have to say that feeding a kitty through a feeding tube is a lot of work, but it was easy with my cat because she felt so ill that she did not put up a fight. We fed her 4 times a day with a prescription wet food the vet gave us mixed with a little water to thin the food out so it would go down easy (we often had to put it in the blender because it tends to have little chunks of liver in it that would clog her feeding tube). We also had an anti-nausea medication and an antibiotic to give her in the morning and night. The key is diligence and not skipping a single chance to get food in the tummy. I also worked on encouraging her to eat her kibble every morning and night.

It took about two weeks before I discovered that she was eating on her own again. I woke up in the middle of the night to her crunching away at her food bowl, and I was so happy! After that she gained almost all of her weight back in about half a week. We took her in for her final check up two weeks ago and the vets were all thrilled at how she looked, and how much her attitude had picked up again. They removed the feeding tube two days later and now she is a happy kitty once more.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Dec 10 5:32 pm

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 9:58am PST 
Thank you. I do plan on letting them do whatever is necessary. I'm glad to hear that your cat survived HL. How long did it take for her to recover completely? Did she have to have a feeding tube or did she take in food on her own?
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Dec 10 5:32 pm

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 8:27am PST 
Hello,

This is my first time posting on Catster, I used to be active in Dogster, but not anymore.

I just dropped my sweet kitty Pickle off at her vet this morning. The vet is pretty sure she has fatty liver disease. This is how it happened:

Pickle disappeared for several days and we could not find her. I don't know where her secret hiding place was, but we eventually found her under my roommate's bed the third day she was missing. She was skinny and I could feel her hip and shoulder bones. I tried to get her to eat, both wet and dry food, but she was uninterested. She would drink very little and only if I held the bowl up to her or dabbed a little on her whiskers with my finger.

They have her on an IV at the moment to rehydrate her and are going to try to get her to eat something soon. She was very jaundiced and her pee was a neon orange.

I'd just like to hear from others that have experienced this and had their cats survive. What did you have to go through, how long did it take for them to return to normal, etc... I'm pretty distraught and could use some success stories.

Thank you.

Krysti
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Dec 10 5:32 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.