Postings by Guest ID 1220029

GO!

Grooming > Long fur, mats, suddenly having problems, HELP!

Purred: Thu Apr 3, '14 8:29pm PST 
I wouldn't scissor up any long haired cat as there skin is so delicate loose and stretchy it can easily blend right into a matt, making it look like just the mat when in fact their skin is mixed in there. I have heard many stories of people accidentally cutting their cats skin. If they mat up very easily it is a good idea to just get them shaved down about every 3 or 4 months depending on how fast they grow or mat again. I will sometimes cut out a few matts on my Persians but I am very careful, and I make sure I first have a metal greyhound comb between the skin and matt, then I cut just over the scissors, once the matt is cut short you usually can break it up and comb the rest out. You usually will use a metal comb on a cat to make sure you are getting all the way to the skin, as a brush will just go over the top of the coat leaving undercoat still underneath it that matts up.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 8:29 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.