Postings by Guest ID 1182488

GO!

Grooming > I look scruffy!

Mei-Li

Meow baby

Purred: Wed Nov 13, '13 1:14pm PST 
I have to agree with Posiepurrs. It sounds like your cat needs a bath and blow-dry. If you can create a line with your finger or peaks like a mohawk, your cat's hair is greasy and clumping together.

Brushing is great to stay ahead of the loose hair, but you are also spreading the grease around.

Mats are caused by dirt/grease, plus loose hair, plus moisture. In cats this usually means salvia. If your cat starts matting, is it definitely time for some professional help.

At home equipment won't blow out the loose hair or blow apart mats like in a grooming salon. You also need a degreasing shampoo specially designed for cats. Pet shampoo is designed for dogs, and they are not as greasy (dirty maybe, but not oily) as cats. If you use the wrong shampoo you will wash numerous times with very little effect. Clean cat hair squeaks when it is clean while wet, just like ours. A still greasy cat will take forever to dry, a clean cat drys in no time.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, Nov 15 5:11 am

Grooming > To Shave, or not to shave?
Mei-Li

Meow baby

Purred: Wed Nov 13, '13 12:59pm PST 
Most cats as they get older need some help with their grooming. They just aren't as flexible, diligent, nor does there skin naturally rejuvenate itself like it used to.

Mats are caused by dirt/grease, loose hair, and moisture (salvia). The only way to prevent mats is by having your cat bathed regularly so keep the dirt/grease and loose hair under control.

You could shave, but it doesn't resolve the source of the problem and your cat will mat again, probably faster next time. It takes about 6 months for the body hair to grow back, more time for the tail. Shaving has a high level of risk for cats, and more so for elderly cays as they have very thin skin.

If you like your cat with long hair, I suggest you find a Certified Feline Master Groomer in your area. check out nationalcatgroomers.com They may be able to remove the mats after a bath,during the drying process, depends on how large and tight the mats are. The hair might be thin in those areas for a week or two but will grow back quicker than a shave with the added bonus of a clean cat.

Don't be afraid of having your cat bathed even if it hasn't up to this point. If you have a master cat groomer take care of it, the process will be gentle and safe. A pet groomer is not a cat groomer. You will find a big difference in your cat: happier and greater pleasure to live with.

What ever you do, do not bathe your cat at home and let it airdry. It will only shrink the mats tighter and create a pelt.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 15 4:22 am

Grooming > Grooming products for a show

Mei-Li

Meow baby

Purred: Wed Nov 13, '13 12:44pm PST 
It used to be a four step (four long torturous steps) process to prepare your cat for a show. No longer.

I suggest you check out ChubbsBars.com

An organic, vegan degreasing shampoo with no solvents, d'limonene, essential oils, etc. and it really works! After two baths, an average dirty cat is literally squeaky clean. Hair drapes beautifully, no separation in the coat. I use it on my show cat clients.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mei-Li, Nov 13 12:44 pm

Grooming > Long fur, mats, suddenly having problems, HELP!

Purred: Fri Aug 9, '13 11:38pm PST 
Dear Minion,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with mats. Although regular combing is good for general maintenance, fact is, mats are caused by dirty hair. Cats are naturally very oily, and combine that with dirt and eventually mats will start. Combing out the mats is helpful but keep in mind that you are just spreading around the oil and dirt more and that the hair will mat again in no time. If it has skin and hair, it needs to be bathed regularly. Clean hair doesn't mat. But if your cat is long-haired and you've bathed it, you cannot let it run around and air dry. Any existing mats will shrink and it will become worse. (That's how felt is made) You must either comb out all mats before the bath and comb again just after drying, or have a professional cat bath and comb done.
Cat wipes don't work very well, nor does dry shampooing as they only do a bit of service to the surface of the hair, rather than getting down to the roots and skin which is the source of the oils making the dirt stick in the coat. Those products are meant as a temporary solution if a complete bath is inconvenient.
Look for a professional cat groomer, preferably with the NCGIA, if you have trouble bathing Minion without causing stress and stifle between you. And don't use any conditioner.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 3 8:29 pm

Grooming > Having my cats professionally groomed

Purred: Fri Aug 9, '13 11:10pm PST 
Congratulations on your wins at the cat show!

As a professional master pet stylist, a certified feline master groomer, and former breeder of many champion dogs, I can assure you that there is nothing wrong or "cheating" if using a professional groomer is more convenient for you. A serious amateur can present their pets at a equal level to a professional and vise versa. The most important ingredients in a well-presented pet is the long term health and vitality, and no amount of last minute grooming can improve what wasn't there in the first place.

Kudos to you for taking such good care of their daily maintenance and health and earning the ribbons.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 9 11:10 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.