Postings by Guest ID 1109193

GO!

Senior Cats > Having issues switching my 14 year old cat from dry to wet food...help!!

Purred: Mon May 7, '12 1:54pm PST 
Thank you BooBoo and BK for your responses, I appreciate it! big grin I am going to the vet today to get her lactulose refilled, I am going to ask to talk to one of the nurses or doctors and I am going to tell them what has been going on and see what they suggest as well. Thanks again, have a great day! Jasmine's Mommykitty
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 26 2:49 pm

Senior Cats > Having issues switching my 14 year old cat from dry to wet food...help!!

Purred: Sat May 5, '12 12:14pm PST 
Impossible to make this long story short, so sorry in advance. I have a 14 year old cat we have had from when she was about 3 months old. From then until the age of 13, we haven't had any problems with her, we have been very lucky. She is an indoor only and only child cat and has always been so. She has always eaten only dry food and been happy with it with no problems. We tried wet food over the years, but she didn't want anything to do with it. When she became constipated recently, we took her to the vet and they did a whole senior work up and found no problems. The vet suggested we try again to have her eat the wet food. She kept having problems, and three enemas later, she is better. They gave us lactulose syrup, which she takes everyday and it seems to help. She has never been a spectacular pooper anyway, she went about every 2-3 days and they weren't great, but at least she went consistently She is back to that now and they look a lot better. Here is the problem: We have tried just about every wet food you can think of and she doesn't like any of them! The few she did like, she ate and we were convinced we had a winner, bought several cans, only to have her turn her nose up at them and not eat the anymore! The only wet kind of food she will consistenly eat is regular tuna (human kind), which I know isn't good for her to eat on a regular basis. We have lactulose and joint medicine to give her, which we have been giving her in the tuna or whatever wet good she would eat. I don't want to have to give it to her in the syringe again if I don't have to, that was not fun for her or us. We have tried adding the wet food to the tuna to get her used to it, we have tried giving her less dry food, we have tried parmesan cheese on the wet food, we have tried tuna juice on the wet food. Not sure what to do next, it's very frustrating! I want her to be as happy and healthy as she can possibly be, just not sure how to make that happen. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure how to proceed at this point and am worried she will become constipated again. Those enemas were a horrible experience for her mostly, and us because we hurt when she hurts. Thanks in advance for any help, and again, please accept my apologies for the length of this post!
Sincerely, Jasmine's mommy cat on moon
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 26 2:49 pm

Senior Cats > Arthritis in old cats...any thoughts on treatment, please?

Purred: Sat May 5, '12 11:38am PST 
We just recently started our cat on Cosequin, it's a sprinkle capsule that is tuna and chicken flavor, so you can sprinkle it on their wet food, or if they are only eating dry, you can moisten the dry food and sprinkle it on that. It cost us about $19.00 for a bottle with 55 capsules. Our cat is 14 years old and was limping and having trouble jumping up and down on the bed. This seems to be helping her, slowly, but surely. Good luck, hope you find something that helps!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 10 8:57 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.