Postings by Amira's Family

GO!

Food & Nutrition > Zonegran or Zonisamide & taste change

Jarod

Purred: Sat Jul 5, '14 3:50pm PST 
My 15yo cat, Jarod, has begun having mild seizures. So, he is taking Zonegran (generic is Zonisamide) which works wonderfully! However, he hardly eats while he's taking it. And I've looked it up on the internet & it is known to cause changes in taste in humans. One time, when there was a gap between the last pill & getting a refill, he ate & ate - like he was making up for lost time! However, he WILL eat, & even beg for, Whiska's Temptations treats, even when he's taking the medicine everyday. He never tires of this treat. Those are crunchy on the outside & soft inside. So, what can I feed him?? Is there something like Temptations that is for a meal & not just a treat? Thanks for any advice y'all can give me. --Dax cat on moon
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ben, Jul 6 4:06 am

Food & Nutrition > I Opened A Can of Worms-HELP!
Amira

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 1:35pm PST 
Thank you so much for your responses. When I first thought about getting some canned food to try to help Amira to gain weight, my brain just automatically thought of Fancy Feast & that it would easily be gotten with my groceries..Friskies Pate IS so much cheaper & let's hope healthier than FF. Thanks! cat on moon
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Jul 26 1:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > I Opened A Can of Worms-HELP!

Amira

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 1:38pm PST 
Okay, I have 2 cats, Jarod is fat & healthy, Amira has cancer & is down to 4 pounds. I began feeding them canned wet food to try & get Amira to gain weight. IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE to keep this up.

I've been buying Fancy Feast & it's not enough..to satisfy both of them, I would need to get a minimum of 4 cans a day! (2 for each). NOW I can't get them to touch dry food!

I bought Purina One Smart Blend....it looked like a better quality dry food with more protein & I can get it at the regular store with my groceries. I don't drive & it's difficult to get to a specialty store --BUT-- if I were to get a good quality food at a specialty store, 1) would they be satisfied with less than the Fancy Feast..since it theoretically would be better quality? 2) What should I do about them having opposite needs????

Now, I DID look around & saw this to be used as a supplement for Jarod that would help him lose weight: Fruitables Pumpkin Formula Weight Loss which can be found here: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Fruitables-Pumpkin-Formula-We ight-Loss/420017.aspx

I wondered if feeding him the 5 teaspoons of this along with a dry food would satisfy him and he wouldn't mind Amira getting more wet food than he gets.

I've just got a dilemma..should I keep trying to feed Amira wet food? (I have no idea how long she has..she's still active & eating.)

What's the best thing for me to do? And please don't recommend a Raw Food diet..I barely cook for myself..plus that's even more expensive. Thanks for any advice. cat on moon
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Jul 26 1:01 pm

Get Well Soon > Amira, Calico, Age 12.5, diagnosed with advanced Colon Cancer

Amira

Purred: Tue Jun 18, '13 1:46pm PST 
I took her to the vet 2 months ago due to losing weight, vomiting & some diarrhea. She was first diagnosed with Hyperthyroid, although they weren't sure until they did a second kind of blood test. She was 7 pounds then. I took her back after being on the thyroid meds for a few weeks because she was still losing weight. She was 5 pounds at that time. The following week, I took her to get an Abdominal Ultrasound..she was down to 4 pounds..that's when they found a tumor in her lower colon and also her lymphnodes were enlarged. She's too weak/small for surgery..and the vet thinks that wouldn't do much good at this point. She's doing fine..still eating, drinking, & using the liter box. And she can still jump onto a chair & things like that. The vet has prescribed Sulcralfate & Piroxicam COSG and another Catster member suggested an herbal thing to boost her immune system-Immune Strengthener.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Smithwick, Jun 22 12:25 pm

Cat Health > My Baby Has Colon Cancer

Amira

Purred: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:06pm PST 
Thanks everybody..I appreciate all the advice. cat on moon
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 10 8:44 am

Cat Health > My Baby Has Colon Cancer
Amira

Purred: Fri Jun 7, '13 12:20am PST 
My 12.5 year old cat, Amira, has colon cancer & it's probably already spread to other areas. She's lost a lot of weight & is down to only 4 pounds. cry Any treatment would be in the 1,000's and it's probably too late to do any good. So, we're both hanging on until the time is right to say goodbye. For now, she seems okay..she can still walk around & jump up on things & eat. I don't know how long she has..days? ..weeks? Are there any of you who have had to deal with this before? Thanks, Megan
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jun 10 8:44 am

Cat Health > Do you take methimazole? I have a question!

Amira

Purred: Sun May 19, '13 3:05pm PST 
Hi folks - I've just been diagnosed with Hyperthyroid. I've been taking 1.25mg twice a day of Methimazole in chewy pill form for a couple of weeks but just switched over to the "transdermal gel pen" today. I feel sluggish & my right eye has a small bit of white pus weeping out the inner corner. I know sluggishness can be a side effect but what about the eye thing? Thanks, Amira
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jacks, May 20 9:39 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.