Postings by Olivia's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 108: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Bone content
Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 6:12pm PST 
Wilbur, rabbit is pretty lean, as others have said, and it is also lower in taurine than many other meats. If I had to feed nothing but rabbit for reasons of food allergies, I would definitely try to give a multi-vitamin and/or a taurine supplement.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by BK, Jun 15 5:09 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw portions
Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 4:36pm PST 
It really all depends on the cat - their age, activity level, etc.

For example, Olivia is an eight year old spayed female. She is moderately active. She weighs ten pounds give or take, and while a tad heavier than I think is ideal, she is by no means fat or even technically overweight. She eats about an ounce and a half twice per day.

Tanner is a six year old neutered male. Again, moderately active. He weighs twelve and a half pounds, and, like Olivia, he is probably within a quarter pound of what I think his ideal weight probably is, but certainly not heavy. He eats about 4 ounces or so per day, split into two meals.

And then Finn, who is two and a half, also weighs ten pounds, and is a much smaller framed cat than either of the other two, and he probably eats about six or seven ounces, sometimes more, per day, and is a spot-on perfect weight. He's more active than the other two, though, and also just has a crazy fast metabolism.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Olivia, Tanner, & Finn, Jun 5 4:36 pm

Raw Food Diet > Want to start on homemade raw, but I have some knowledge gaps

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 4:24pm PST 
So glad to hear you're going to be giving raw feeding a try!

And how LUCKY you are that your cats are so receptive to it. It took me the better part of two years to fully transition my two older cats (now eight and six years old - they were four and two at the time we started the transition). They first took to ground meat, then boneless chunks of meat, then organs, and finally bone-in items. Funnily enough they won't eat ground meat anymore.

In answer to your question - yes, initally, it's pretty much as simple as just cutting the chicken or Cornish hen into suitable sized chunks, bone and all. I use kitchen shears for this rather than a knife. After they do ok with that, you can add in small amounts (roughly 5% each, overall) of liver and kidney, and then introduce additional proteins - incorporating as much variety as you can reasonably source and afford. Hearts and gizzards (especially heart) are also great choices - heart is taurine rich, which is so important for cats.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Jun 8 5:03 pm

Raw Food Diet > Dehydrated Organs

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 1:03pm PST 
Cinder, I have known other raw feeders of cats who have done this - it's usually no problem to find dehydrated liver (all three cats and both my dogs love the Bravo Venison liver - they also have other options:

BRAVO

But that still leaves you short kidney, so about the only thing you could do there is dehydrate it yourself and I imagine it would be STINKY!

I don't give the Bravo stuff very often because in its dehydrated form it is more concentrated (I don't know the exact math, but if I were to give an ounce of fresh liver I'd give about half an ounce of dehydrated, or thereabouts) and I don't want to give too much.

You might try running the organs under some hot water or lightly warming them in a skillet before serving - the consistency changes a bit and seems to be more readily accepted to cats that are resistant to organs. You might also try sprinkling a bit of organic catnip on top if you have a cat that goes crazy for nip. (I used this technique quite a bit when I was converting Olivia & Tanner to raw.)
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Munchkin, May 24 2:03 pm

Food & Nutrition > Kittens transitioning to wet food

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Thu Sep 1, '11 5:12pm PST 
I agree with the others who said that it might be too much variety too soon. Variety is good, but you probably need to take it slower. I'd also suggest you add some pre/pro biotics. We like Ark Naturals Gentle Digest.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Sep 7 8:39 pm

Food & Nutrition > Better to feed low quality wet or the highest quality dry?
Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Wed Aug 24, '11 5:35pm PST 
Ugh, you guys have really been through it, haven't you?

I think I'd talk to your vet as you're already going to do and see about adding the pumpkin or some other fiber souce to the higher quality canned foods - it seems like that would be your best bet. Hope it works!
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Sep 1 11:41 pm

Cat Health > What should we have the vet do?

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 7:31am PST 
Yay for Kreacher! Here's hoping he'll be a proper house elf - er cat - very soon!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Olivia, Tanner, & Finn, Aug 20 7:31 am

Cat Health > Please help my cat is foaming after flea spray

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 7:26am PST 
Please rinse/wash this stuff off of her and call your vet ASAP!
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Sep 15 8:56 pm

Raw Food Diet > getting sick but wanted to start raw...

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 6:12am PST 
No, I don't think it's a bad time to start - and I've never heard that you shouldn't feed raw when giving antibiotics. Finn spent a lot of time on antibiotics in his first year, and his vet was fully aware that he was being raw fed. Now, if, as BK said, you feel that they are stuffy and need something fishy/stinky to trigger him to eat, then that's fine - you can pour a little tuna juice or rub some canned salmon over the raw stuff and that should work.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by BK, Aug 24 5:31 am

Cat Health > Was this an indicator?
Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 12:28pm PST 
You're welcome, Sophie! I hope now that she is on all wet foods you won't have additional problems. I know it can sometimes be a battle to get them to eat the better foods, but all you can do is keep trying!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Olivia, Tanner, & Finn, Aug 16 12:28 pm

(Page 1 of 108: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.