Postings by Shade's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 138: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > New here - PLS help! Cat diagnosed w/Stg 2 Leukemia today. I'm beside myself! Do I put him to sleep?
Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Sun Sep 15, '13 7:10am PST 
Hi there, I am very sorry for you having to post about this. It is very difficult and sad having to deal with something like this.

I am far from an expert on FeLV. Did the vet not explain anything to you? You are allowed to find another vet for a second opinion. Did the vet actually send out blood to be tested for FeLV? I would also call back and ask for a full explanation of the blood work results; ideally she should have given you a copy and you are allowed to ask to see them. Your vet should be interested in saving your pet, not quick to put him down without even explaining the situation thoroughly to you. If she really feels that your cat can't be saved, then she should still seem totally involved and be at least somewhat compassionate about the situation.

A good question to ask yourself when you are considering euthanising an animal is does he have any quality of like left? Does he eat, does he purr when you rub him? Does he seem like he is in pain most of the time?

You said that he eats his wet food, not the dry. Ditch the dry, it's bad for cats anyway and let him eat any canned food that he likes. Has he lost a lot of weight? Will he eat any treats?

He is very young, and may not be able to be saved, but if you at all feel unsure of euthanising him at this point, then you should explore seeking out a different vet. Also, there are anti-viral medications out there for cats. I don't know how effective they are onf FeLV though.

Good luck to you and Billy!

BB's mom
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Mikko, Sep 15 2:00 pm

Food & Nutrition > This has to do with food!
Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 4:49am PST 
Many brands of canned food are "for all life stages", that means that they are nutritionally balance for kittens as well as adult cats. This will be printed somewhere on the back of the can near the ingredients and nutritional information.

For a four month old kitten I would feed canned food at least 3x/day. You can buy cans usually in 3 sizes, 3lz, 5.5 oz, and 13 oz. Don't give up if he won't switch immediately over, sometimes it takes a while, but being a kitten he shouldn't be too set in his ways.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Karma, Jul 31 1:00 am

Cat Health > Getting skinny?

Shade

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 4:41am PST 
Since it has been 4 months I personally would bring him back to the vet. Did you say in another post that he catches and eats prey when he is outside? He could very possibley have worms if that is the case. He could also have a variety of other ailments that weren't detectible 4 months ago but may now be more obvious since his body will have been dealing with it/them for weeks now.

Good luck! Oh, and maybe I would hold off on the raw until you have him checked again. I feed raw, and it's great, but if he is ill and a picky eater, you don't want to stress him out until you know what is wrong.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shade, Jul 17 4:41 am

Cat Health > Revolution?

Shade

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 9:49am PST 
There is a kitten dosage for Revolution, so you would be ok with that if your kitten is under 5lbs.

I use Revolution on my four cats and have not had any problems. However, be aware that it does not act against ticks. It controls fleas, heartworm, ear mites, roundworms, and hookworms.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Steinem - In Memory, Jul 24 4:16 pm

Raw Food Diet > Would raw help my kitty?

Shade

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:51am PST 
I agree with BK, do all your research on raw feeding and then try it out. You'll have to decide between some options, prey model vs. ground, commercially made vs. home made being the first to decide between.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 31 4:56 pm

Raw Food Diet > cats always hungry
Shade

Purred: Wed Jun 26, '13 1:04pm PST 
I can't add much more than BK and Shadow did without more information, but I do want to say that you're probably underfeeding your two younger cats. I would say that all four of my cats eat more than 4 oz in a day and they range in weight from 9lbs to 19lbs. One thing that you might try is adding in a third meal; I feed my guys 3x/day. Even if it's just a small meal, it might make your two younger ones feel less hungry. Or, just increase their portions at the two meal times that you've already established.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shade, Jun 26 1:04 pm

Raw Food Diet > A little picky?

Shade

Purred: Mon Jun 24, '13 4:53am PST 
Oxen are castrated bulls, so they are cattle/cows/beef. I don't think that a cat can eat an ox tail, unless you mean that you'll cut the meat off of it.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Oreo, Jul 3 12:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > A little picky?

Shade

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:02am PST 
A couple of thoughts. Firstly, was the chicken breast or thigh? Which ever one it was, try buying the other. When my guys were kittens they would only eat the thighs. Now that they are older they've decided they like the breasts better.

Secondly, go easy with buying ground beef from the grocery store. Unless you see them grinding it, you don't really know how long it's been sitting around and the longer it sits, the more likely it is to get bacteria growing on it. Remember, they are grinding it thinking that the end user is going to cook it. Have you tried buying non-ground beef? I usually look for stew beef chunks and check for the packages that seem the least fatty.

You might not have any trouble introducing liver and other organs, many cats love liver. I would try introducing organs soon.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Oreo, Jul 3 12:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > Lots of Questions!

Shade

Purred: Fri Jun 21, '13 4:20am PST 
The 3lb rabbit pieces h-t sells used to sometimes have head pieces in them; this was before she started selling the heads by themselves. I thought the bones were pretty thick. I believe Smudge ate them a couple of times, but I don't think that Shade ever did.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shade, Jun 21 4:20 am

Raw Food Diet > might be adopting a kitten soon, and need memory refreshed on raw feeding for cats
Shade

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:38am PST 
It can't hurt for a couple of days, but I wouldn't wait too long before trying to introduce another protein source. At least some variety over time is important as different meats have different nutrient profiles and you wouldn't want your cat to get stuck on only loving chicken, or beef, or whatever. This would be a lot more important to stick to with an allergy cat, or a cat with known digestive issues.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Oreo, Jun 20 8:39 pm

(Page 1 of 138: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.