GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Choosing the Right Cat > A new kitten and an older cat
Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:22pm PST 
I have a question.

I am planning on adopting a kitten this summer as a companion to my eight year old cat Oracle. Oracle lost her kitty companion of many years in February and went through a process of mourning (even though the cats did not really get along, they gave each other a respectful distance, but my older cat Serabe who was 10 when I adopted Oracle as a 2 year old was something of a pistol and fought with Oracle often). Both females, with Serabe being the alpha and Oracle the submissive one. After Serabe died, I discovered to my surprise that Oracle is not a one person cat and obviously she needs a friend/foe/someone like her.

Here's the question, is it better to adopt a kitten into a home with a more senior cat than to adopt an older cat who also has a history? Would Oracle be more accepting of a kitten who isn't bigger and older than she is? Oracle has medical problems (hyperthyroid and occasional bouts with kitty flu that she picked up in her former home) as well as mental (she was a rescue from an abuse situation) but she is a gentle soul and "a little lady" as my mother calls her.

Any advice would be wonderful, thank you.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jack, Apr 4 9:12 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My darling Trent has passed away and I need some help
Oracle of- Delphi

I see all

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 11:42pm PST 
I am sorry to read about your Trent and I know exactly how you feel having just lost my girl on Thursday. They say grief is different for everyone and it never really goes away, but that you always have the reminders of the happy times you spent with your beloved pet. The loved ones who pass are in a better place and are in our lives for a short time and you will see Trent again, just like I will see my Serabe'.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 4 1:59 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My Serabe'

Oracle of- Delphi

I see all

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 11:25pm PST 
Thank you all for your kind words. We laid her to rest properly today (we had to do a hurry of a burial the night she died and the ground was so hard I was only able to dig a foot and a half down, so today a friend came and dug her a proper plot), in my mum's garden and planted some leafy plants above her resting place and surrounded it with bricks. We said our goodbyes and my mum read the rainbow bridge poem. I feel better now knowing that she is safe and in a happy place where I can visit her and talk to her and tell her what crazy things her sister Oracle has done and the things she has gotten into.

I think I will forever carry this deep feeling of pain and of loss, but I know she is with my father who loved her and my only solace is one day I will see her again and she will lick the tears from my face like she did when she was alive.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Oracle of Delphi, Feb 25 11:25 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My Serabe'

Oracle of- Delphi

I see all

Purred: Fri Feb 24, '12 9:43am PST 
My cat Serabe' died last night, in my arms from a seizure brought on by an illness she had been battling for over a month. She was three months shy of 17. My best friend, companion through many ups and downs in my life. The only solace I can get from this is she went quickly, but not before biting my hand. When she was a kitten, she bit my hand when I first met her, and I believe last night was her way of saying "goodbye mommy". She had a long happy life, she was feisty, had been ill once before in her life and was strong. It just seems so unreal, to have to put my best friend in the ground, and the pain I feel is undescribable. My other cat Oracle knows there is something going on, and is trying to console me, but it's difficult. I cannot stop crying. Serabe's pain is over, but it feels like mine has just begun.

Serabe' will be laid to rest on Saturday, from a temporary spot my mum and I tried to dig in her garden (the ground is amazingly hard around here) last night to a spot the gardeners will dig for her by the trees in the back yard. I will plant flowers for her and my Mum will read the story of the rainbow bridge and we will say our final goodbyes.

RIP darling, I know in my heart that you are in a better place now.

Posted by me via Oracle
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Oracle of Delphi, Feb 25 11:25 pm

Grooming > Has anyone tried Pedi Paws Nail Trimmer?

Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Fri Mar 27, '09 3:17pm PST 
Mummy used that on me and Oracle yesterday, the motor doesn't bother me but the thought of trimming my nails does. Oracle wasn't too happy with it, then again she's scared of her own shadow, lol.

Serabe and Oracle's owner: to be honest it's kind of hard to get a handle on it at first and get an even blunt edge to the claws. But it seems to be easier on their claws than the run of the mill cat nail clipper (it dosen't squish the nail, only trims the edge) where you run the risk of running into the quick. It looks easier on tv to be honest.

My vote is still out on it.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Aspen, Mar 29 4:26 pm

Behavior & Training > I like feet (but my Mum does not)
Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Mon May 28, '07 12:40pm PST 
Thank you I appreciate the advice.

I have tried discouraging her, but she still does it. I may try the spray bottle avenue because she is a bit of a hard head when it comes to these things.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shadow, May 28 1:36 pm

Behavior & Training > I like feet (but my Mum does not)

Oracle of- Delphi

I see all

Purred: Mon May 28, '07 12:16am PST 
Hello. My name is Oracle and I have a life long obsession with smelling/licking feet and eating cigarettes. Since my new Mum dosen't smoke, I've gone back to my other obsession, smelling/licking feet. My mum is not pleased with this habit and has tried everything to break me of this habit that I so love.

Any advice for her to get me to stop?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Shadow, May 28 1:36 pm

Behavior & Training > I hate my sister!

Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Sun Dec 24, '06 3:00pm PST 
Some cats get along, some don't. It just takes time, with some cats, lots of time.

Sometimes I like to hunt and tree my adopted sister Oracle just for fun, but I still don't like her. Sometimes we chase eachother, which I like until I feel that I am losing and then I hiss at Oracle to go away. We have been living together since May and slowly things are starting to settle down, even though I don't like her to come in Mama's bedroom and I don't like her near my toys or my food. To keep Mama from getting angry at me (because I so love to chase/bite/scratch Oracle) I just tolerate her existance....sometimes.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Serabe', Dec 24 3:00 pm

Behavior & Training > new cat in house- inez won't stop hissing!

Oracle of- Delphi

I see all

Purred: Thu Jun 22, '06 7:13pm PST 
With cats, it takes time and it sometimes takes forever. Perhaps a lifetime.

A month ago I introduced two year old Oracle into my home as a compainion for my eleven year old Serabe'. Both are female, both hiss and howl and Serabe' bullies her (Serabe' is a natural born bully, as a kitten she used to terrorize her brothers and sisters). I never seperated them, I just put them together right off the bat the first day, because they are both adults (if Oracle had been a kitten it would have been different). I figure it might take years, if ever for them to get along (well maybe not get along, but at least respect eachother's right to exist), but I do try to discourage Serabe' from chasing her all over the apartment and snapping at her tail. The situation seems to be getting better, but Oracle still hisses at Serabe' if she gets too close (and vice versa). As for advice, I wouldn't push the issue about encouraging them to get along and preventing the hissing, kitties are very smart and seem adapt at sorting their own issues out...their way.

I keep their food areas far apart and they have seperate litterboxes, it seems to cut down on the crazy and the hissing.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 6:20 am

Behavior & Training > Which Litter Do you like????? Indoor Cats Only
Serabe'

My way or the- highway

Purred: Thu Jun 22, '06 7:02pm PST 
Feline-pine. That's the only litter I prefer, keeps the smells at bay and keeps my sister Oracle out of my box (because she prefers the johnny cat).
[notify]

» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by Matilda, Aug 22 6:42 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.