Postings by Panther's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Cat Health > Need advice for Luxating Patella in an older cat
Panther

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '13 10:06pm PST 
Hey everyone. Panther was recently diagnosed with a luxating patella in one of her rear legs. I just took her to the clinic that I work at and we didn't do rads to begin with because the vet thought that it would essentially fix itself within a few weeks, given that we keep her confined.

Well, its been a few weeks and she hasn't shown any real improvement. She limps a little some days, and then other times she'll hold the leg completely off the ground. Both vets at my clinic whom I trusted moved at the same time, so I don't have a vet at the moment that I trust to take her to and I'm not sure what to do. She'll be going in later this week to meet a new vet and see if there's any options, but I was hoping someone here could give me some input too. I'm at a loss because I don't know what to do cry

I recently moved out so I could finish college and she's with my parents, which is partly why she didn't get to go back to the vet sooner. If I'd known she was still having such issues on some days, I would have helped her sooner and that makes me feel absolutely sick. I've already decided that next weekend I'm going to sneak her into my apartment with me where she can have more peace (Aspen keeps trying to play with her and has knocked her down a few times) and I can keep a closer eye on her since my parents obviously aren't going to.

Has anyone ever had a cat with luxating patellas? Especially an older cat, since Panther is going on 13. I know that surgery is the most common treatment, but I don't know if it would be worth it to put her through such a huge surgery, or even if I can find a surgeon experienced with this sort of thing. I'm really not ready to lose her to the rainbow bridge so I hope we can manage her somehow.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tigger, Jan 23 8:20 pm

Cat Health > Essential Oils and Cats
Aspen

Purred: Sun Apr 22, '12 9:29pm PST 
Does anyone have any input about using essential oils around cats? I don't mean to use them -on- the cat, but was thinking about doing something like that for my dogs to repel fleas/ticks. Since the dogs come in with the cats, I wouldn't want to do anything that would hurt the cats. I'm not talking a lot - just a few drops on the underside of their harnesses/collars. I just can't seem to find a definitive answer about cats...
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by QGM Harlequin (Striped Seven), May 22 1:31 pm

Cat Health > Aspen has a pinched disk in his back...

Aspen

Purred: Fri Apr 6, '12 10:05pm PST 
He's doing really great now. I guess I should have mentioned that when I took him to "work" the other night, I work at my vet's office, so he was in very capable hands. I definitely wouldn't have left him to suffer at home all night!

He spent the night in the hospital on steroids, muscle relaxers, and something for pain. I'm definitely not a fan of the steroids, but I think I can live with a one time dose. He doesn't seem to have any lasting effects with his back, so unless it gets to be chronic I won't worry. He was very unhappy to stay the night though, so I really hope he doesn't throw his back out again...
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aspen, Apr 6 10:05 pm

Cat Health > Aspen has a pinched disk in his back...

Aspen

Purred: Mon Apr 2, '12 9:57pm PST 
I've never dealt with anything like this before. Does anyone have any insight for me? Today he randomly started acting like he was in intense pain - very randomly, it didn't seem like anything happened to have caused it. I dosed him with Rescue Remedy, which helped a ton, and ran him to work to be checked out. A few xrays later, we have a pinched disk and he's spending the night on steroids, muscle relaxers, and pain meds.

Naturally, I forgot to ask a few questions before leaving. Is this something that he'll have forever? Or can it just flare back up again? Any precautions that I need to take from now on? Any other advice? I definitely plan to talk to my vet in the morning about it, but if any catsters know and could help, I'd appreciate it.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Aspen, Apr 6 10:05 pm

Cat Health > Which vaccinations should we get?

Panther

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '12 11:03am PST 
I wouldn't think it would matter if it was labeled as a 1yr vaccine. You're vaccinating to give your cat antibodies against certain things. Those antibodies don't implode after exactly 366 days. I believe that any vaccine can be given minimally and last for years. I'm not exactly talking the vaccines labeled as "three years," but more like lifelong. For mine, I do two sets of boosters as a kitten (or three if its a puppy - but that's a different forum wink ), then maybe one booster as an adult, and then that's it way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Blaze (Striped Seven), Mar 11 5:16 pm

Cat Health > Found a lump =[
Aspen

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 11:20am PST 
Thanks for looking all that up for me, Ashlynne. I hadn't checked yet, but I kinda assumed that if a pet has a reaction to something, the law would be there to help it. But I guess not. WV is pretty far behind on everything, let alone welfare for pets, so I'm not too surprised. Sigh.

Apparently I won't be getting him an exemption, so I'll just not follow up on the vaccines. I had planned on getting him his two sets of kitten boosters and one rabies shot and that being it for life, an exemption just would have made it easier for the rabies shot...
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Pandora, Feb 27 8:48 pm

Aspen

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 6:01am PST 
She said that it was definitely a rabies reaction. There's not really anything to do but watch it for another month and hope it goes away. I knew that already, but at least its documented that she confirmed a rabies reaction on his chart. It should be easier to avoid getting them in the future.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Pandora, Feb 27 8:48 pm

Aspen

Purred: Wed Feb 22, '12 11:59am PST 
I just found a lump on Aspen while I was holding him. Its on his right rear leg - right where he got his rabies vaccine. He got neutered and had his first rabies booster at the same time (not my idea. I'm very against mixing vaccines and surgeries) on 1/27. He's since gotten one FVRCP and one Feline Leukemia vaccine, but on different limbs, and I'm only planning to do one more booster of those two. My guess would be that its a reaction to the rabies shot, right? Its small - about the size of the tip of my pinky - and firm, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.

I think I'll take him to work with me tomorrow and have him checked out. But is this something that I should document and apply for rabies exemption? I wasn't planning on every vaccinating him again after his second FVRCP/FeLeuk boosters, but now I think I probably ought to get him legally exempted. Anyone have any experience with this sorta thing?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Pandora, Feb 27 8:48 pm

Cat Health > Which vaccinations should we get?

Panther

Purred: Mon Feb 20, '12 4:02am PST 
What vaccines have you given them in the past? I'm assuming the kitten series, but what boosters since then? That'll make it easier to guess at what to give.

The most current AAHA guide says every 3 years at the absolutely most, knowing that vaccines generally last longer than three years.
[notify]

» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Blaze (Striped Seven), Mar 11 5:16 pm

Cat Health > What's the best way to keep a kitty's teeth clean?
Panther

Purred: Wed Feb 1, '12 5:33pm PST 
Thanks Zack! The plaque off looks really good. Most of the other ones out there have things that are toxic to cats in them and I wouldn't want to take that chance, even in small doses. I'm gonna try to find some of that around me way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Napoleon, Feb 11 7:44 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.