Postings by Quetzal's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Raw Food Diet > Camel, Venison Neck, Stomach & Uterus
Quetzal

Wild thing u- make my heart- sing ♥

Purred: Mon Jan 20, '14 3:25pm PST 
Hello raw friends! Meowma has just been fortunate enough to come upon a meat supplier that might be able to provide her with some novel proteins for my food (including bison, kangaroo, venison, quail, rabbit, elk, ostrich, duck and wild boar) and is very excited. But some of the meats they offer I've never eaten before (I eat a frankenprey diet) and she has questions about the nutrition of these meats.

First up is camel. She can get camel trim for about $4,74/lb (and I eat about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound of meat a day as I am only 9lbs!) and this makes it one of the cheapest novel proteins they offer- but Meowma has never fed camel before and thus doesn't know how fatty/nutritious it is. Has anyone fed camel before? Is it a good option for a frankenprey diet? How fatty is it?

The next is venison neck meat. I've had venison before (and I loooove it) but only when I first started raw and was eating premade. This company offers venison neck meat for $5.03/lb (again, cheap for me!) and Meowma would love to add some more venison to my current lineup of mostly chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, and pork. Has anyone fed venison neck meat before? I imagine it's rather tough. I'm a buzzsaw on just about any meat Meowma gives me (I can go through a chicken femur in about 10 minutes) and she loves giving me food that gives me a dental workout and keeps my teeth pearly white. Is venison neck a good option?

The last two aren't from this supplier, but just things Meowma has recently noticed at the asian grocery store most of my meat comes from. They have pig uterus for dirt cheap as well as pig stomach. Now once Meowma got over her "ICK!!" at the uterus, she started wondering if it would be a good meat to add to my diet. Would it count as muscle or organ meat? Likewise for the stomach... she knows tripe is healthy but is not sure if the stomach at the store is similar,

Any tips would be great!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Quetzal, Jan 20 3:25 pm

Behavior & Training > Obsessive Begging?
Quetzal

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 1:47pm PST 
Okay so I'm putting this in behavior and training instead of food and nutrition because I think it's more related to fixing his behavior than changing his feeding plan, but if I should post it elsewhere let me know!

Quetzal has always been a food hound, ever since he was a tiny 9 week old kitten. When I rescued him he had severe giardia and the result was that no matter how much he ate, he wouldn't gain any weight and was always ravenous. Fast forward five years and he's a healthy happy adult, albeit with some really wonky food allergies. He is doing extremely well on a prey model raw diet but is highly allergic to just about every type of cat food we've ever tried on him. Including the veterinary-prescribed ones. However, he has been completely fine with every meat protein, from chicken to ostrich, bison to kangaroo, that he's eaten raw.

The problem is, he's an absolutely avid beggar. To inhuman degrees. He's only nine pounds but every deterrant has done nothing. He will purr and purr and flop over on his back one minute, the next he is viciously swatting or biting at my hands to try to get whatever I'm eating. If I don't shield my plate he will reach his face in and make off with whatever it is he wants... He's also stolen the meat right out of my sandwich, which I only discovered after seeing a mustard trail on the floor and him happily licking his chops across the room. This is made doubly exasperating because with his allergies, many times he will steal some food and then later puke all over the place or worse, start losing clumps of his fur. He hasn't had any skin outbreaks in a long time thankfully but the puking worries me!

I've tried a spray bottle, but he just darts off and is back in ten seconds. I've tried lightly bopping him on the nose and he responded with a giant smack of his paw. I've tried loud noises, etc, and nothing is a deterrent. I would like to be able to have some study snacks with me while I'm working in my bedroom upstairs without having to shut him downstairs! He seems to be perpetually hungry. I've tried feeding him as much as he can eat (literally put down a whole raw chicken for him to see how much he could finish) and he'll eat not much more than a normal portion then he'll be back to begging in 20 minutes. I obviously can't leave food out for him 24/7 and I am in full time university with a part time job so don't have the time to be constantly giving him snacks all day. He also is in perfect shape right now, quite muscular with no flab but not too skinny either (he has the classic lean Abyssinian shape) and I would like to keep him at his current healthy size.

Any tips for thwarting hardcore beggars would be highly appreciated... Even as a dog trainer I'm stumped with him, nothing has worked!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Trek, Jun 24 6:35 am

Raw Food Diet > Urinary Problems and Raw

Quetzal

Purred: Wed Jan 18, '12 1:04pm PST 
So, Quetzal has suddenly come down with some serious urinary problems. He became unable to pee, except small amounts with blood, and distressed. I took him to the vet this morning and was told that his bladder and urethra are inflamed/possibly infected, as well as his intestines are swollen too although I haven't noticed any diarrhea.

The vet gave him an anti-inflammatory injection and some take-home antibiotics, as well as talked me into a week of Urinary S/O cans. It doesn't have any gnarly ingredients in it and at least it's not dry food, but I'm not keeping him on it longer than a week. I am worried that his allergies will flame up but I'm more concerned with his urinary problems right now.

Now he has an evil habit of chewing through the dog food bag and munching on the dry food. Usually this can be prevented so long as the door stays closed but my mother is forgetful and isn't the best at keeping it closed. I've given her a STERN lecture about this today and I don't think it'll be a problem in the future, but I wonder if this might have contributed to the problems.

He is on a prey-model diet that I've spent years perfecting and tweaking, and up until the other day he's been doing FANTASTIC on it. But this is a serious concern and I don't know whether it's from something I'm doing wrong with his food or if it's from the dog food or genetics or something else.

Does anyone have any tips for managing urinary issues on a raw diet, or any insight as to what might have caused this in the first place? My vet wasn't as lecturey as I expected but he did say that if it happens again after a week then we'll have to have a serious discussion about bis diet. He's not a raw-friendly vet so I know how that'll go, but I have no intentions of going off raw permanently.

I'm just frazzled and stressed and scared because I've been worrying myself sick about him and worried that somehow his diet that I've tried so hard to make perfect has made him sick.

Ugh. Any tips would be fantastic.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Meghan, Jan 27 3:03 pm

Raw Food Diet > Alternative Proteins

Quetzal

Purred: Sun Jan 1, '12 6:53pm PST 
Well, he doesn't actually go three weeks without any organs; over a three week period he will get two organ meals, which works out to 10% of his diet, and then an off week with a different alternative protein. He only gets one meal a day- I don't calculate the exact ounces, I just eyeball it, but usually it's about a good fistful of meat generally ranging in size from half a pork tongue/kidney to a small chicken thigh in size. I'd guess about 4 ounces per meal? Maybe a bit more with bone heavy meals? He's a slender but active 9lb cat.

So over 20 days, to fill up a 100% percentage, each meal is worth 5% of his total diet for that 20 day period. 20 days works out to three weeks, so I split those two meals up so he gets one organ meal at the end of two of the three weeks, and one different protein meal for the third.

Over 20 days, using the 5% = 1 meal math, this is what it worked out to when I calculated it.

16 meals' worth of muscle meat.
2 meals worth of pure bone.
2 meals worth of organ meat. One liver, one other.

Obviously I combine the muscle and bone together and I make rough but decent estimates on the muscle/bone front, I don't just give him solid hunks of bone, but the organ percentages tend to stay pretty standard.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Jan 2 5:14 am

Raw Food Diet > How much do you spend on food?

Quetzal

Purred: Wed Dec 28, '11 11:38pm PST 
One of the most common complaints I hear from people when telling them about Quetzal's diet is that they couldn't afford to feed raw, or that it sounds expensive.

Generally, they seem pretty surprised when I tell them I spend only about $15-20 a month, or 50-75 cents per meal on Quetzal who is a very active 9lbs. Even as a starving student, this is pretty affordable for me.

But it got me wondering how much the average raw feeder spends on their cat (or dog)'s food? I'm blessed with having access to a great Asian grocery store where I can get a lot of fancy meats for cheap, but I know this isn't the case for a lot of people.

I'm just interested in getting some idea of an average that people spend on raw, and also getting some more examples of people besides me who can comfortably feed raw without breaking the bank. I know a lot of other students like myself that could possibly be convinced to switch to raw if I could convince them it isn't as expensive as they think.
[notify]

» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by bed Snatchers, Feb 11 5:15 pm

Raw Food Diet > Closest thing in Ontario to hare today
Quetzal

Purred: Wed Dec 28, '11 11:29pm PST 
Wow, they look really awesome! Wish they delivered to BC frown
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Quetzal, Dec 28 11:29 pm

Quetzal

Purred: Wed Dec 28, '11 3:54pm PST 
I've been feeding him on an 80% muscle meat/10% bone/5% liver/5% other organ ratio with his proportions, which works out to 5% being one meal every 20 days, so a day short of three weeks, and I've been calculating his proportions on a 20 day basis. Sometimes I'll split a liver or organ meal over two meals with half a portion of muscle meat in there, but generally what I've been doing is that for six days a week he'll get a combination of muscle meat and bone (usually 2-3 days include bone depending on how much is included with that cut of meat), and for one day he'll either get liver, other organ, or herring/some other 'special' protein, and what he gets on this day cycles over three weeks. Are these proportions inaccurate? Since he is on a full prey model diet, nothing is premade aside from being cut into meal sized portions, so I work it out over a longer stretch of time to figure out the percentages.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Jan 2 5:14 am

Raw Food Diet > Where to start?

Quetzal

Purred: Sat Dec 24, '11 4:18pm PST 
As far as actually getting your cats to start eating raw meat (some cats can be fussy about it), this is what worked for me- well, I jumped a few steps because I have a cat that treated raw like he had been waiting his whole life for me to take the hint- but it's a pretty straightforward method for getting cats to switch over.

1. If your cat isn't eating a canned food diet, switch over to that first. Be sure to pick a good quality brand that isn't full of nasty ingredients (check out the nutrition forum for some suggestions).
2. Once your cat is used to eating the canned, start mixing in a bit of pre-made ground raw. This is NOT just ground meat from the supermarket, but meat specifically for raw feeding pets. It's a bit pricy but don't worry, your cat won't have to eat it forever.
3. Slowly start increasing the proportions of premade raw to canned, until your cat is eating straight premade raw without problems.
4. Now, you can stop here or you can continue the switch onto a full prey-model diet, which is what I did. Start by mixing small hunks of raw meat in with the premade; cutting up chicken hearts is a good way to start because they're palatable and fairly uncomplicated. Increase the size of the hunks until your cat is eating whole hunks the size of chicken hearts mixed with the premade.
5. Now comes the fun part. You can gradually increase the size of the hunks as your cat gets more used to them, until eventually whole cuts of meat are no problem!
6. Once your cat is used to eating muscle meat without difficulty (and remember that as soon as your cat starts to have trouble, backtrack a bit and ease into it slowly) you can start incorporating bones. I find that chicken wings are the easiest to start out with because the bones are small, cartilage heavy, and easy to chew. Introduce your cat on the wing-tips, and move up the wing until your cat can handle the drumettes. Some cats enjoy eating bone more than others and some are more adventurous when it comes to larger bones. My cat can easily wolf down a drumstick or a thigh, even turkey neckbones, but some cats are best left with wings or chicken necks, sometimes cut into smaller pieces. Another good way to get your cat started is to feed a portion of a bone-in chicken breast; this bone is very small and light and even the daintiest cats can usually make short work of it.

Good luck! If you have any more questions about switching to raw, especially prey-model, let me know.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Amber, Dec 24 8:15 pm

Quetzal

Purred: Sat Dec 24, '11 4:00pm PST 
Basically, I'm looking for some affordable suggestions for what I can feed for alternative proteins in Quetzal's diet.

He is on a full prey-model diet consisting mainly of pork (heart, tongue, kidney, spleen), chicken (heart, gizzard, necks, drumsticks, occasionally hacked up whole chickens), and beef (heart, liver, occasionally tongue). About once every three weeks to a month, he'll get a meal of a whole, raw herring (we cycle it so every three weeks he gets a liver meal, every three weeks he gets a different organ meal, and every three weeks he gets a herring meal, but sometimes we skip a week on the herring). When I can find them, he gets lamb kidneys instead of pork ones. Every now and then he'll get a raw egg mixed up in his food over the span of a few days, and once every two weeks he gets an omega 3-6-9 supplement. I have on rare occasions used turkey neck bones instead of chicken as the bone portion and he enjoyed these, but they're difficult to cut into palatable sized hunks and the bone is a bit on the tough side for him.

He absolutely loves his diet and he does extremely well on it, but I worry that I'm not giving him enough variety in the proteins I use. I shop at an asian supermarket nearby that has wonderful selection for most things but any alternative meats tend to be expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for meats or cuts of meat I could try that are affordable and available? Some things to keep in mind:

I usually spend about 50-75 cents a meal as is, for specialty things I'll go up to a dollar, but I'd rather not spend more than that if I can avoid it (starving student here).

The biggest bones he can handle on his own are generally chicken drumsticks or thigh bones. Turkey neckbones he can handle but it's pushing it and he sometimes leaves small chunks behind.

I don't feed ground anything, including fancier premade kinds. I prefer to give him as close to whole cuts of meat as I can. The smallest sized chunks he gets are whole chicken hearts or gizzards.

I'm willing to try out some pretty wacky meats, I don't get squeamish about anything.

I'm more than happy to order online if anyone knows of places online that deliver, but I am in CANADA so Hare Today does not ship to where I am sadly.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by BK, Jan 2 5:14 am

Raw Food Diet > is pork safe to be fed raw?
Quetzal

Purred: Sat Dec 24, '11 3:14pm PST 
Pork is definitely safe, and can actually be one of the cheapest meats to feed. A large portion of Quetzal's diet is made up of pork heart (quite easily one of the cheapest meats out there) and pork tongue (about the same if you can find it). Pork kidneys are also the perfect size to be two meals each, rather than wrestling with a big beef kidney for organ meat.

The three main meats I feed are pork, chicken, and beef, more or less in that order, with the occasional bit of raw herring, turkey, lamb, or other meat.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Quetzal, Dec 24 3:14 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.