Postings by Louie (1996-2013)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Kitten Corner > chew toys?
Miles

Curiosity is the- key.

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 1:42pm PST 
My 8 month old kitten Miles has a serious chewing issue. He prefers dense foam (my gardening Crocs are now total garbage)and thick plastic, but will also destroy cardboard boxes. He doesn't eat it (I've been checking his stool just in case), just chews it up and spits it out all over.

This is the first kitten I've had that won't stop chewing. The vet says his teeth look great, so no dental issues. Do they make chew toys for cats? Any suggestions?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Oct 15 5:02 pm

Kitten Corner > My kitten gave me a hickey!
Howie

Me, Me, Me!

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 1:37pm PST 
AT 6 weeks your kitten should still be with her momma. Since she's so young, she wasn't properly weaned. She sees you as momma, so she's suckling on you. My Howie was found as a teeny kitten on the streets, and used to suckle on my ear until he was about a year old. Don't enforce the behavior, but don't get mad if she does it, she doesn't know any better.

Talk to your vet about her dietary needs, she may need to be on some kitten milk replacement if she's really pushing to suckle.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Violet, Oct 15 7:21 pm

Food & Nutrition > Need a better wet food

Miles

Curiosity is the- key.

Purred: Fri Oct 11, '13 9:47am PST 
I have an 8 month old kitten Miles and an 14 year old cat Howard. They get different dry foods--a grain free for the kitten and a vet prescribed diet food for the old kitty. But as for wet food, I'm at a loss. I've tried a lot of different foods, but mostly all my cats will eat is Friskies, and nothing really mushy. My vet said while Miles is young he's fine with the cheap stuff as he just needs calories, but I wanted to switch him to something a little better. Howard really doesn't care what wet he eats as he doesn't eat much. The main thing is with going through a couple cans a day, I can't spend $2/can on my budget.

I'm looking for a good quality wet food, about $1 can, that doesn't have the consistency of total mush. We've tried Blue, but it wasn't a big hit.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Twinkle, Nov 6 11:23 am

Behavior & Training > spray bottle training

Miles

Curiosity is the- key.

Purred: Sun Jul 28, '13 7:35am PST 
I've always used a spray bottle to train my cats over the years, a quick squirt to let them know the dining room table and kitchen counters are off limits.

Well, I adopted a new 5 month old kitten a couple weeks ago, and tried the squirt bottle technique when he got on the counters last week, and he loved it, thinking it was some sort of game! Since then, I notice he loves to play with water--his water bowl, the sink, even coming in the shower with me. I've never had a cat like this.

Does anyone have an alternative that works just as well? Can of coins? Blast of air?

Please and thank you for the help. shrug
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maizy , Jul 29 2:35 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Getting a friend for an older cat

Howie

Me, Me, Me!

Purred: Sun May 5, '13 10:14am PST 
My Louie has been gone over a month now, and Howie seems very lonely. He's very demanding of affection from me, but at times just wanders the apartment, I think smelling and looking for Louie. I'm going on a long road trip at the end of June, and I think after that I'll visit the shelter. The vet says a kitten is best so Howie doesn't feel threatened, but the kitty should be a little older, like 4-6 months so it can defend itself. She said a boy is best.

But I wanted to see if anyone had any input on age and sex. I've tried to foster an adult cat and that totally didn't work, so I agree a kitten is best.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Howie , May 5 10:14 am

Senior Cats > My Louie is gone and needs some wings
Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Wed Mar 27, '13 4:18am PST 
My Louie suddenly stopped eating Sunday night. I thought he had just eaten something that disagreed with him But after 2 days of hiding, and yesterday afternoon he started to meow in distress, I took Louie to the vet yesterday, and by the time we got there he couldn't move and was turning yellow. His liver was shutting down, and there's nothing they could do. They wanted to run some tests to confirm, so I went home to gather his things together. I went back with my boyfriend to say goodbye, and they sent him to rainbow bridge. It was so fast, and I know I did the right thing, as he had lost all his vitality in those couple days, and when we went to say goodbye he didn't even seem like himself. He will be buried in my boyfriend's rose garden, next to his brother Henry that dies a few years ago.

Goodbye my sweet Louie boy, it was a pleasure to have been your momma.

When Henry died someone put wings on his profile picture. Can anyone help me do the same for Louie?
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Muffy, May 28 3:45 pm

Cat Health > Fatty tumor removal?

Howie

Me, Me, Me!

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:31am PST 
We've already been to the vet and she did confirm it's a fatty tumor, which is benign and doesn't seen to be causing any discomfort at all. But she still wants to remove it, I guess more of an annoyance issue and to make sure it doesn't grow. But I don't want to put Howie through this if it's not really necessary, and honestly, I can't afford a surgery that really is just cosmetic.

Any one else have a kitty living with a fatty tumor? I've had one cat that had a big one, and one very lumpy dog growing up that was prone to them, but my previous vets never pushed removal.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 9:25 am

Cat Health > Fatty tumor removal?

Howie

Me, Me, Me!

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 5:23pm PST 
My Howie has gotten very tubby in his old age, and a few months ago I noticed a lump high on his hip, about the size of a grape. Squishy and right under the skin, you can push it around a little, doesn't bother him at all, and it doesn't seem to be growing anymore. I took Howie to the vet, and although the vet diagnosed it as a fatty tumor, especially given Howie's size, she thinks it should be removed. My thing is I just can't afford the surgery bill, and even then I worry about surgery at Howie's age. It's apparently not harmful and he's in no pain, sleeps on it all the time, and doesn't react when I push at it or brush him. My other cat Henry had a tumor the size of a golf ball on his tummy for years and it was no problem, and I grew up with many dogs that had fatty tumors (common in labs that I had), so if possible I want to just leave it. We had a dog growing up that had several removed, and was in so much discomfort after surgery, I don't want to put Howie through that.

Is it imperative that it be removed, or is it OK as long as it doesn't bother him or get worse?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 9:25 am

Cat Health > I think Louie burned himself!

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:37pm PST 
A couple of days ago I noticed the hair under Louie's armpit was all short and crispy. I washed it up and didn't think anything of it, until I looked today and noticed about a 1" circle of hair had all fallen out, and there's a little oval shaped sore in the middle of the hairless spot, looking very red. The only thing I can think of is he jumped up on my bathroom counter and laid down on my curling iron. He let me look at it and clean it (it doesn't look like ringworm, we've dealt with that before), and he can't reach it to groom, so I'm hoping it'll heal on it's own. I can't afford a vet visit (he got a clean "old man" bill of health earlier this fall) so I'm hoping it'll heal on it's own with a little watchful eye. How can I ensure it heals quickly? Is there anything I can put on it or do I just leave it alone?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Nov 9 12:51 pm

Cat Health > Causes of itchiness?
Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 11:04pm PST 
I talked to Louie's vet over the phone, and they said because he's an old kitty, there's nothing they can really do without a blood panel first, to make sure his kidneys can process any meds they give him. The confirmed it's probably just seasonal allergies, as they see a lot of that right now. But mosquitoes are everywhere too, and I find a couple bites on me every day. He's been treated for fleas and shows no sign of ear mites, so that's been ruled out. I'm going out of town for a week starting on Wednesday and he has an appointment when I return. They said he should be fine until then, as his allergies are more of an annoyance than life threatening. I'm going to be sure to brush him as much as possible, to see if that helps distribute oils and help with the itch.

I've heard about putting a little olive oil on a cat's food can help because it provides the fatty acids skin needs. Anyone tried this? I'm just looking for some temporarily relief for my poor itchy old man until I can afford a big vet visit in a couple weeks.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by ~Avail~ 02/14/00 - 09/17/13, Aug 31 2:37 pm

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.