Postings by Merlin >PAWS< [In Loving's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 64: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cats and a Clean Home > Need to contain cat peeing oustide box....suggestions?
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Tue May 5, '15 1:17pm PST 
Mordred's mom here.

Arthur made an excellent point: at 17, she may well have renal insufficiency - CKD (chronic kidney disease).

Another consideration is arthritis; it may be painful for her to climb into a litter box. I myself had to have my bathtub replaced with a walk-in shower because my arthritic knees made it painful for me to step over the side of the tub.

Talk to her doctor about both possibilities.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Arthur (Miss You! '93-'09), May 7 10:50 am

Food & Nutrition > Is my cat overweight?
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Tue May 5, '15 1:12pm PST 
Merlin's absolutely right about the canned food; if your cat will eat it, slowly transition him to it.

An important point to remember - and it's often overlooked - is genetics. If your cat's mother was a big cat, then her children generally will be, too. It's true for horses, humans, and cats, too! For example, my Mordred is a big boy - 16 pounds is as low as he's ever been; he used to be 18 - changing to a higher-grade food helped him become more active, and he lost a bit of weight. He's a big guy - his tail is thick and powerful - he's actually knocked things out of my hand with it! So I know he's not meant to be 10 or 12 pounds. Your cat's breeding is an important consideration, but even a big one can be overweight. You are wise to want to keep the weight within acceptable limits, but you must consider things other than *just* the pound number.

When you look at your cat from above, does he have a defined "waist"? If so, he's probably ok. Can you feel his ribs if you press on his ribcage? Can you feel his backbone, his hips without pressing too hard? If so, he may be just fine. Next time you have him to the vet, ask the doctor what s/he thinks.

Bless you for being an aware cat human!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), May 19 8:37 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Which litter box is best to prevent tracking?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Sun Apr 26, '15 8:26am PST 
Your high-sided boxes are best for keeping litter from being thrown out - although there's always the "door" MOL! The tracking has more to do with the litter than with the box, I think; litter sticks to paws, paws move around the house, and litter is dropped. Sad fact of life. I find a rechargeable stick vac is wonderful for tracked litter, so you might consider that.

Covered (or "hooded") boxes are generally not recommended because they not only hold litter in, they also hold odor in If the box becomes too full of odor, the cat may stop using it - and then you have a bigger problem! frown

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Apr 26 8:26 am

Food & Nutrition > Transition to Wet Food

Little Boy- Blue PAWS

The Blue Dude

Purred: Sat Apr 25, '15 9:54am PST 
Have you tried different flavors of wet cat food? Blue will eat canned food *only* if it's tuna. I don't like feeding only fish, so I put some canned chicken food in his dish, top it with a bit of canned tuna cat food, and mash it altogether. Like people, different cats prefer different flavors; maybe you can find one that he likes.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Shadow, May 22 9:27 pm

Senior Cats > Fibrosarcoma - share your experiences/info? (Especially if your cat had seizures)

Morganna

Mighty Huntress

Purred: Wed Apr 8, '15 12:07pm PST 
I had fibrosarcoma caused, most likely, by the 3-year rabies vaccine, which should NEVER, EVER be given to cats! Anyway, did the vet send the biopsy away to be tested? Before I would opt for surgery, I would want to know exactly what we're dealing with! The fact that there are tendrils is certainly not a good sign, but an absolute diagnosis would be best.

Did you ever have a rabies or a a leukemia shot in the left hip, where the lump is? Although the 3-year-rabies shot has been involved, the leukemia vaccine was also considered.

If it is fibrosarcoma, you need to know that it is a very fast growing tumor, and it does spread. I had a biopsy which showed that the tumor was cancerous; then I had part of my hind leg amputated by my regular vet. The tumor returned, so she referred me to a veterinary surgeon, who removed the remaining part of my hind leg; at that point, I had no joint at all at my hip on that side. I was free of cancer for almost two years (regular checkups with the surgeon), but then the tumor came back. The surgeon said he could remove part of my pelvis and I might stay on Earth another couple of years. My mom loves me, and she said, no, enough was enough. She kept me as comfortable and happy as she could, but in just a couple of months, she blessed me with my journey to Rainbow Bridge, where I'm waiting to see her when she comes.

I don't know what you should do, but you asked for experiences; this was mine.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Morganna, Apr 8 12:07 pm

Kitten Corner > 8 month year old kitten escaped from back yard
Shadow

Feral No More!

Purred: Tue Feb 3, '15 12:32pm PST 
Just so you know: there are people out there who will actually go out of their way to hit an animal, especially a cat. I know because I once worked with one, and I was once following a trucker who deliberately ran over a woodchuck. Many years ago, I had a 2-year-old cat killed on the road - and *I* live in a rural area! A 7-month-old is still a child and should NOT be outside without supervision. Unless you take pro-active steps, expect to pick his body off the road at some point. Sorry to be blunt, but I'm being honest.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Feb 3 12:32 pm

Cat Health > What cat insurance do you guys have?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Wed Jan 21, '15 7:32am PST 
With both VPI and PetPlan, I've had no issues at all with filing a claim. No one's mentioned pre-existing conditions; I think VPI does not cover animals with pre-existing conditions. PetPlan does BUT - as I learned - they cover the animal for other conditions but not for pre-existing. When Althea had to have some teeth removed, PetPlan didn't pay because at a previous exam, the doctor had noted that she had some periodontal disease, considered a pre-existing condition. Just FYI
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Jan 23 3:26 am

Behavior & Training > help..he cries and digs at daughters window to be let in all through night..

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Jan 15, '15 8:43am PST 
No pet cat should be left out at night; there are too many dangers out there. Is he neutered? That's the first step. If he's not neutered, have that done immediately; perhaps he wants out to find a female. If he's already neutered, then he needs to be kept in at night for his own safety. It may be that you need to consult a behaviorist, but his constant in/out/in cannot go on.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Amber, Jan 24 10:57 pm

Cat Health > What cat insurance do you guys have?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Jan 15, '15 8:37am PST 
Pet health insurance is a must these days! Veterinary medicine has advanced - thanks be to God! - and that makes the cost go up. We never know what might happen. I had VPI and wasn't happy with the little that they paid for Mordred's ultrasound, so I switched to PetPlan; they have no benefits statement, so they pay whatever percentage you have selected when you bought the plan. The higher the percentage paid, of course, the higher your premiums. So far, I've been happy with them.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Jan 23 3:26 am

Behavior & Training > One year old spayed cat refuses to pee in her litter box!
Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Tue Dec 30, '14 8:53am PST 
I'd try another kind of litter. I used to use the pine pellets, but they may be too hard on her feet. Cats generally prefer something softer; I think the Cat Attractant litter is a great place to start.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Brooklyn, Jan 3 9:50 am

(Page 1 of 64: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.