Postings by Spirit's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Food & Nutrition > Why's Royal Canin Bad?
Spirit

I'm a believer! - The kitty condo- is mine

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:07am PST 
know what i don't understand? royal canin, hills, these prescription foods...the ingredients are not good, but yet they are good for our health? Sorry...I was diagnosed with CRF and I hate that I have to eat it. I have eaten Wellness and now to change to Hills or Royal Canin doesn't sit well with me.

I will say this...my beagle sister had to eat Royal Canin for urinary tract issues and she never got another UTI. She will be the first to say it helped, but I just don't understand why these manufacturers of prescription food don't put in better ingredients....oh and it's expensive too! shock
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Spirit, Oct 23 6:07 am

Cat Health > How to medicate a finicky semi-feral cat?
Spirit

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 5:58am PST 
i was going to recommend a liquid or powdered medication. I don't like pill pockets either...well, at least i don't fall for it wink

mom asks the vet for liquid form. Sometimes the vet may substitute a certain medication...another one that could work. Good luck! way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nanette, Jan 23 6:48 am

Cat Health > Can anyone recommend a good cat health insurance company?

Spirit

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:45am PST 
Hi Ajaxx...I'll see if I can help a bit. First, there are some insurance companies that have age limits. I see that you and your sibling are 9 and 10 years old. Some say you have to be under a certain age in order to be eligible for insurance. However, there are a couple of insurance companies that do insurance with no pet age limit.

Also, and this is very important, they will not cover any pre-existing conditions. Examples could include: diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid, etc. Also, most insurance companies don't cover hereditary or congential diseases or they only cover a small portion. You mentioned Travis had surgery. I'm not sure what the surgery was for, but it could be considered pre-existing. But it really depends. Is it an illness? Then more than likely it's pre-existing. Probably need to know more in order to answer that.

Basically, there are two kinds of insurance. Both require to to pay up front and then get reimbursed. Also, they usually come with deductibles and only pay a perecentage of the cost. Some plans you pay a deductible per year or some plans say you pay a deductible per incident. For me, I use a credit card and with my insurance company, I'm reimbursed in two or three weeks...just in time to pay off most of my card.

Also, some insurance has a limit on how they will pay for each incident or a cap they have they will cover in a lifetime.

1. Traditional benefit schedule. One of the most popular insurances out there is VPI insurance. It can be cheaper and in my opinion, for good reason. The have what they consider to be average and customary costs and that's what they will pay out. An easy example is xrays. VPI says, what's customary is $50 an xray. But your vet charges $75 an xray. VPI will only pay that $50, and you pay the difference.

The key with VPI is you have an annual deductible and it follows the benefit schedule. Some like this insurance because it pays everything on the benefit schedule and could potentially cover 100% if you live in an area or your vet charges low costs. It would behoove you to read their benefit schedule and compare your vet costs with their schedule.

2. Many other insurance have deductibles (annual or per incident) and cover a % of your bill. There are lots of different insurance companies you can look at. Some popular insurance companies are: Trupanion, Pets Best, Petfirst, Embrace, ASPCA just to name a few. I recommend you look at: www.petinsurancereview.com. It has links to the major insurance companies and you can read their reviews.

Always ask to see their exclusions and in the case of VPI, take a look at their benefit schedule. Let me know if you have any questions.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Leo Lovebug ♥, Jan 12 4:45 pm

Cat Health > little appetite

Spirit

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 9:59am PST 
Yeah...I know it takes some time for us to adjust to stress. I would suggest if you still aren't eating that you do some bloodwork. That can show if anything else is going on with you. Good luck and I hope you get to eating soon! flowershug
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Lexi, Jan 5 6:49 pm

Plus Power of the Paw > Duchess crossed the rainbow bridge today

Spirit

Purred: Fri Jun 11, '10 4:22am PST 
I am so sorry to hear about duchess. I let my group, PAWS angels wag with kindness know...your family is in our thoughts and prayers little angelhug
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cassie, Jun 14 9:30 am

Behavior & Training > I'm worried about my friends cats
Spirit

Purred: Sat Mar 27, '10 12:42pm PST 
Thanks for your feedback and questions....

She uses natures miracle to clean the boxes. They fight if they are left alone in the room together. She said one box is in the basement and the other is upstairs in a low traffic area.

The vet is calling it a territorial, dominance problem. I'm not sure if one is causing more of a problem than the other except both are marking and deficating everywhere. It's strange because they ARE using the litter box...regularly. I didn't ask if she cleans the litter box really well (empties the litter and cleans with a non abrasive cleaner). She did say she makes it a point to clean it out before it gets full. Her vet had mentioned that as well.

She has decided to part with both of them. I honestly want to try and convince her to keep one, but she is so emotionally distraught by her home being in ruin that I may not be able to convince her to keep one. How do you choose?

She has begun contacting non kill shelters but of course they are all "full". One or two have told her her only option may only be animal control and she's SCARED they may put them to sleep especially if they know she is giving them up for their behavioral problem of marking. It's really heart breaking cry

I'll try to keep you guys updated. Thanks for listening and for offering feedback. It sounds like she has tried just about all these things frown
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Spirit, Mar 27 12:42 pm

Spirit

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 10:13am PST 
sorry...double post
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Spirit, Mar 27 12:42 pm

Spirit

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 10:11am PST 
Oh they are using the litter box...sorry if I gave the impression they weren't. I asked her and she said yes, they do use the litter box regularly...she cleans it once every couple of days, but they still peeeeeee everywhere shrug they tried replacing the sheets, they actually threw away their carpet and still peeing on hard wood floors.

She literally has to cover her bed with a tarp because one of them will go in and pee on and poop on her bed
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Spirit, Mar 27 12:42 pm

Spirit

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 10:00am PST 
Here's one of them...this is Otis
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Spirit, Mar 27 12:42 pm

Spirit

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 8:42am PST 
there are two litter boxes...in two different locations. She has tried different cat litter before.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Spirit, Mar 27 12:42 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.