Postings by Little Boy Blue PAWS's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 63: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Kitten Corner > 8 month year old kitten escaped from back yard
Shadow

Feral No More!

Purred: Tue Feb 3, '15 12:32pm PST 
Just so you know: there are people out there who will actually go out of their way to hit an animal, especially a cat. I know because I once worked with one, and I was once following a trucker who deliberately ran over a woodchuck. Many years ago, I had a 2-year-old cat killed on the road - and *I* live in a rural area! A 7-month-old is still a child and should NOT be outside without supervision. Unless you take pro-active steps, expect to pick his body off the road at some point. Sorry to be blunt, but I'm being honest.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Feb 3 12:32 pm

Cat Health > What cat insurance do you guys have?
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Wed Jan 21, '15 7:32am PST 
With both VPI and PetPlan, I've had no issues at all with filing a claim. No one's mentioned pre-existing conditions; I think VPI does not cover animals with pre-existing conditions. PetPlan does BUT - as I learned - they cover the animal for other conditions but not for pre-existing. When Althea had to have some teeth removed, PetPlan didn't pay because at a previous exam, the doctor had noted that she had some periodontal disease, considered a pre-existing condition. Just FYI
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Jan 23 3:26 am

Behavior & Training > help..he cries and digs at daughters window to be let in all through night..

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Jan 15, '15 8:43am PST 
No pet cat should be left out at night; there are too many dangers out there. Is he neutered? That's the first step. If he's not neutered, have that done immediately; perhaps he wants out to find a female. If he's already neutered, then he needs to be kept in at night for his own safety. It may be that you need to consult a behaviorist, but his constant in/out/in cannot go on.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Amber, Jan 24 10:57 pm

Cat Health > What cat insurance do you guys have?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Jan 15, '15 8:37am PST 
Pet health insurance is a must these days! Veterinary medicine has advanced - thanks be to God! - and that makes the cost go up. We never know what might happen. I had VPI and wasn't happy with the little that they paid for Mordred's ultrasound, so I switched to PetPlan; they have no benefits statement, so they pay whatever percentage you have selected when you bought the plan. The higher the percentage paid, of course, the higher your premiums. So far, I've been happy with them.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Jan 23 3:26 am

Behavior & Training > One year old spayed cat refuses to pee in her litter box!

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Tue Dec 30, '14 8:53am PST 
I'd try another kind of litter. I used to use the pine pellets, but they may be too hard on her feet. Cats generally prefer something softer; I think the Cat Attractant litter is a great place to start.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Brooklyn, Jan 3 9:50 am

Cats & Travel > Should they stay or should they come?
Althea, PAWS

Purred: Mon Dec 15, '14 3:46pm PST 
You must not be the first person to be in this quandry. I'll just give you the benefit of my similar experience.

I'm a senior citizen with a vacation home in the mountains, about a 5 to 6 hour drive from home; when I visit there, all three house cats go with me. I admit: they hate the trip, but they're good travelers. They've all been doing this for many years (7,12,13), so they know the ropes.

First, make sure your cats are chipped AND wear a harness with every bit of info on it. MIne wear their rabies tags, their insurance tags, their i.d. tags. On the i.d. tags, I have both my home and vacation numbers; you should put your number and your parents' number. And get a small dog harness for each of them, with a leash; do NOT get a figure-8 harness, which seem to be popular, because the cat can be hanged if it catches up on something.

I'd recommend the largest carriers you can fit into your vehicle - one for each cat - big enough to hold a bed and a small litter box. You can buy throw-away boxes cheaply. I find that mine don't generally eat or drink on the trips, but your trip is longer, so it would probably be a good idea to stop somewhere and offer water - saved from a can of tuna would be good, entice them to drink. Be certain to leave teh leashes attached at all times (small leashes are soft - the cat can lie on them without discomfort - and keep hold of the leash when opening the carrier.

When you get to your parentes', put the cats, still in their carriers, into your room; leave a light on if it's dark. Put your own things there, close the door and go greet your family. The cats will hear your voice, and that will reassure them. After a while, go in and open the carrier doors. Put down a *little* food and some water; reassure them - and leave them to explore, making sure to close the bedroom door. By the next morning, you should be able to leave the bedroom door open and let them explore the new surroundings. Mine have made the trip to the mountains so many times now that they're just as much home there as here. If you take the cats now, while they're young, and get them used to their "vacation" home, it will be the same as home to them.

One caveat: they might not like traveling - mine don't - they hide if i change clothes in the morning, for that's a sign that I'm going out and it might mean THE TRIP! Some cats like it; some don't. YOu'll just have to see how yours are.

All that being said, cats do tend to be territorial; I read somewhere, long ago, that dogs are attached to people, but cats are attached to places. I have no idea if this is true, but just put it out there for your consideration. It might be that your cats will be less stressed in their own environment with a catsitter whom they know and you trust. The thing is - we miss them so! I was in hospital for 2 nights last week; even in my drugged state, I missed my Althea. It's your choice, of course, but perhpos making the cats 'world travelers' now will make life easier for them.

Whatever you decide, God bless you for caring so deeply.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 3:20 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My cat died suddenly and even the vet can't tell me why

Althea, PAWS

Purred: Wed Nov 26, '14 11:07am PST 
How utterly horrible for you! I have no idea what could have caused your beloved baby to make such a suddent and unexpected transition, but I know your pain. Obviously, something was very wrong, and not knowing what it was will haunt you for a long time. Try to remember that you made his time on Earth a great one, full of love and care - which is so much more than so many cats ever have. He went to sleep in his own bed and woke up, gloriously alive, at Rainbow Bridge, where he waits for you.

I am so, so sorry for your pain; may the Creator comfort you and help you to find peace.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Wally RIP 4/4/10 - 11/19/14, Dec 1 1:19 pm

Food & Nutrition > What are the least expensive brands of grain-free cat food (both canned and dry)?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Sep 18, '14 5:14pm PST 
Visit chewy.com; they carry many, many brands, and for each brand, they give the info on ingredients. There are also consumer reviews, which can prove helpful. It will be extremely easy to compare prices for the different foods. Shipping is free for $49 or more; I placed an order last night and it arrived already! I've found Dave's to be good and much less expensive than the big-name stuff. Look it up - and good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Nov 1 8:05 pm

Get Well Soon > Vet Bills

Morganna

Mighty Huntress

Purred: Sat Sep 13, '14 3:58pm PST 
I tried posting in your other thread, but it didn't post for some reason. I tried to visit the page, but the message came up "Page Not Found." cry
[notify]

» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Morganna, Sep 13 3:58 pm

Cat Health > Vet Bills
Morganna

Mighty Huntress

Purred: Sat Sep 13, '14 3:54pm PST 
We tried to go there, but it said "age Not Found. cry
[notify]

» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Morganna, Sep 13 3:54 pm

(Page 1 of 63: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.