Postings by Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > I need some advice :)
Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Sun Jun 13, '10 2:59pm PST 
1) How do I find a good vet? I have looked and searched and have lists of vets in my area, but how do I actually go about choosing one? I don't want to have to visit or call all of them. Is there a good place to look for vet reviews?

You can try Yelp.com for reviews on vets. I did this recently since I moved to a new area. However, sometimes, for ever bad review there is a good review. Makes it fun trying to decide on a vet. I chose one that is AAHA certified. To be certified they have to pass a number of standards and they are pretty stringent. It may cost more, but my experience so far has been positive.

2) What is the current suggested vaccination protocol for cats? I am very very wary of overvaccination, and I don't really want to get anything that isn't necessary or that may do more harm than good.

Get the regular round of kitten shots for your cat. After that, I suggest getting Rabies and FVCRP since your cat will be indoor only. Most kennels, cat sitters, etc require these and rabies vaccines are mandatory in many states/cities.

3) What do you use for flea control? What products are the safest and most effective in cats? Should I bother with a commercial flea product at all or just try natural measures and what are those measures (I live in Georgia, flea capital of the world lol)?

Frontline was what I used. I stopped when i went to grad school, and have not had an issue with fleas (knock on wood). DO NOT use Hartz or any other OTC flea stuff.

4) Is heartworm prevention something that I should REALLY buy into? I know it is a huge deal for dogs, but for an indoor only cat, is it important?

Most vets will tell you yes.

5) What type of litter do you suggest? I prefer something that is clumping and that is flushable, but I insist on it being a natural product free from lots of harsh chemicals and things that could hurt the kitty.

I don't have any recommendations here. We use Fresh Step, but I am becoming disillusioned by it....

6) Anything else you wanna tell me!

Some info about the situation: The cat will be indoors only, eating a diet solely consisting of canned cat food and possibly being partly raw fed as well. I live in a small apartment and am a college student. The cat will be left alone for a few hours each day (probably 5-6 hours most days). I am also contemplating what I should do when I visit my family. I go home to visit once a month, and it is a 4 hour drive. I really prefer NOT to take the cat with me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited to post as Smoke!

Good luck with your new best friend! Oh, you can check into a cat sitter or boarding kennels for when you go on trips. Find a sitter that is insured and bonded. I would advise you not to use a friend, unless you know and fully trust that person. Make sure that your cat has stuff to do during the day, a good scratching post, a nice window to look out, lots of toys to play with. He should be fine while you are in classes.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maddox, Jun 20 7:40 am

Cat Health > I KNOW you are going to tell me off.......

Purred: Sun Jun 13, '10 11:02am PST 
I don't see why giving them as a treat would hurt them. It may or may not be the healthiest thing for them to eat all the time, long term. But as a treat, why not?
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Natasha, Jun 16 12:57 am

Cat Health > Hypertyroidism

Sebastian

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 5:08pm PST 
Yes, we are on a grain free diet
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Jun 10 6:13 pm

Sebastian

Purred: Wed Jun 9, '10 8:51pm PST 
Thanks Kaci big grin and yes, that is the one I am taking. I already have heart disease frown. But in the lab work, everything else came back normal. Kidneys and liver are good, so far.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Jun 10 6:13 pm

Sebastian

Purred: Wed Jun 9, '10 7:29pm PST 
Sorry about that...

I weighed 10.3 pounds in December 09 and now I weigh 8.5 pounds. I started a pill that starts with an M... (cant remember the name of it right now). I started the pills last week and take 1/2 tab twice a day. Mom says my attitude seems better, not picking on Cleo "as much or as severely" and I seem to be allowing her to eat now too. I am supposed to go back to the vet in a few weeks for a check up.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Jun 10 6:13 pm

Sebastian

Purred: Wed Jun 9, '10 6:55am PST 
Can anyone offer some insight? thanks
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Jun 10 6:13 pm

Sebastian

Purred: Tue Jun 8, '10 8:53pm PST 
How long doe sit take for a cat to regain weight after starting taking medicine? Is there a "too fast"? I have not changed any feedings for Sebastian, since I wanted to see if the meds would help him first.

p.s. he started them last week and for the most part has been really good about swallowing them....
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Jun 10 6:13 pm

Food & Nutrition > Proctor & Gamble take over!

Purred: Tue Jun 8, '10 8:06pm PST 
Mom is ambivalent about the take over of Nutura by P&G. Guess part of her truly hopes they will maintain the integrity of the company, but fears the worst at the same time.shrug
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Gator Pawz, Jun 14 9:38 pm

Cat Health > Any help with the consequences of losing a top fang.......

Purred: Sun Jun 6, '10 8:44pm PST 
I lost both of my top fangs because of my bad teeth.frown The vet had to pull them because they are causing infection. I do funny things with my mouth too sometimes, but my mouth does feel so much better!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Pumpkin, Jun 10 7:11 am

Food & Nutrition > Egats! I have Hyperthyroidism, and mom wants food advice
Sebastian

Purred: Thu Jun 3, '10 10:23pm PST 
Sebastian's mom here....

Pilled cat treats? Hmmmmmmm....thinking
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Natasha, Jun 26 3:11 am

(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.