Postings by Neysa's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > She\'s mad and the peeing resumes (sigh)
Snoopy

I pee on- couches...Sofas- beware!

Purred: Fri Oct 24, '08 9:06am PST 
I just made a post about this under "Sadie won't poo in the box." What we've dealt with is a little different -- he wasn't marking, as my boyfriend puts it, he was just being a jerk (well he doesn't say "jerk" but you get the point). -- not entirely true, but he was very random about when and where he would go outside the box, and really has never ever been consistent about it.

You can read more in the other post, but we crated Snoopy and then had him earn his free roam back. We couldn't get anything to work for us either. This has and it's been great.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Snoopy, Oct 24 9:06 am

Behavior & Training > Sadie won\'t poo in the box
Snoopy

Purred: Fri Oct 24, '08 9:02am PST 
Well, we have the King of "I refuse to use my litterbox." He is 12 years old and his lifelong favorites include:
I'm going to squat outside the litterbox and pee
I'm going to squat outside the litterbox and poop
I'm going to pee on the carpet
I'm going to pee in the litterbox this time to shake things up
I'm going to poop in the litterbox just to confuse you.

It's never been consistent. He doesn't have any health problems. We used cat attract - worked for 1 week then the novelty wore off. We've tried a lot of different things. And then, something worked!

We crated him. We put him in the bathroom, crated him in the dog crate, put a litterbox in there with him, his food and water bowls. He had just enough room to lay down when it was all said and done. --not a lot of room to pee or poop outside the box!

He was in there for a week. No problems. Then we opened up the crate, left his litterbox in the crate (have the 2nd litterbox outside the crate) and put his food and water outside the crate in the bathroom. He's in the bathroom for 1 week. No problems!

At the same time we're using the nature's remedy (i forget if that's the right brand) to clean up where he had peed on the carpet to get rid of the odor.

He stayed in the bathroom until the odor was gone from the carpet and we actually rearranged furniture to cover the spots just in case -- no temptations!

We have to watch him and watch out for accidents, but this is the first and the only thing that has worked. It's been a month!

The first time he slips up, he's going back in the bathroom though. With one other cat and 5 dogs we can't risk having this ongoing problem anymore. I felt awful putting him in that crate -- he howled and howled at first -- but the alternative is that we (1) have a house full of pee and ruined floors or (2) well... what do you do? I won't try to rehome him, I've had him since he was a kitten. We needed to fix the behavior and find a way to make it work.

I hope our story might be helpful to you!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sadie, Oct 25 8:58 pm

Behavior & Training > Fun with my older kitty..Snoopy peed on my couch

Snoopy

Purred: Tue Apr 22, '08 6:12pm PST 
Thanks very much Diego!
I actually had a conversation with my mother last night about Snoopy's litter box preferences. We have 2 cats, but have added a third litter box to see how that goes. (actually it's a storage crate with a half circle cut-out so it's easy to walk into. Plenty of space for my big boy).

I also had a conversation with my boss and she suggested the cat attract too. Thanks so much for your advice!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Harmony (In Memory of), Apr 23 3:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Why did Harvey poop on my backpack?

Snoopy

Purred: Mon Apr 21, '08 4:53pm PST 
I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but if it continues I'll add my two cents.

When Skunk was still alive (yes she was a cat, not a Skunk), she would pee on anything that I took with me when I left the house. If I left my backpack on the floor, she peed on it. If I left my jacket on the floor, she peed on it. If there was a suitcase by the door, she peed on it. (If it was under the bed, it was A-OK.)

She also would pee on my bed, but only if I left the house for a sleepover (I was a wee little thing when she was alive) and I forgot to close my door. If I remember to close my door, she didn't pee on anything.

I'm not sure if this was Harvey's motivation, but I do firmly believe that it's possible our pets show their feelings through the most expressive means possible...and sometimes that just ends up being their bodily functions, because I can tell you, bad potty behaviors are usually never completely ignored.

Hope you have luck with Harvey and your backpack. I'm going to try to clean the pee out of my couch.

Cheers!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Harvey, Apr 22 7:02 am

Behavior & Training > Fun with my older kitty..Snoopy peed on my couch

Snoopy

Purred: Mon Apr 21, '08 4:48pm PST 
Hello guys!
I came home today to realize that my couch had been peed on. And we're talking quite a bit of pee. Went through one throw pillow and soaked into two cushions.
We're guessing this is Snoopy since he has an unfortunate habit of sporadically peeing in front of (not in) the litterbox. This behavior has pretty much been limited to right in front of the litter box. (and has been going on basically ever since Snoopy was alive, so we know it's a behavior thing and not any sort of medical issue, at least none that the vets have ever been able to identify). Snoopy is over 10lbs while Ms. Neysa is an insy thing and is probably more like 5-7lbs. The sheer volume of pee is why we're leaning to Snoopy (also because he is the only one that has ever peed in an inappropriate place.)

There was no discoloration in the pee (no blood or anything so that's probably good for Snoopy and for the couch). I am going to try one of the "kills all odors including pet pee" sprays and see if it works. It has worked great on other odors before.

But, I have a couple questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1. Yes, I am going to take Snoopy to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a bladder or some other type of infection/issue going on (I know that's not a question).

2. If this is behavioral (and even if this instance is not, the peeing in front of the litter box sure is). Are there any suggestions on how to curb the behavior? When he pees in front of the litterbox it happens sporadically and there has been no cause and effect that we've been able to figure out. No change in food, no change in litter, no change in routine, no change in anything. Any thoughts?

3. If the spray I have doesn't work on the couch, are there any other suggestions on how to salvage my sofa?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks so much in advance!

Signed
Caite and the mischevious, naughty, very bad, Snoopy
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Harmony (In Memory of), Apr 23 3:22 pm

Behavior & Training > sleeping in the litter box?
Snoopy

Purred: Thu Jun 21, '07 10:50am PST 
I'm not really sure why your kitties are doing this! The only time that Snoopy did this was right after a flea bath. He felt awful and was so stressed out and he went and laid in his (dirty!) litterbox. (which was terrible because then he had to have another bath to get out the clumped up litter -- we have not done another flea bath!).

It doesn't sound like the same type of situation is going on in your house. It's good that they're still using the other litter boxes. I'm curious to see if someone has more to insight to offer you!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Angel Ashley, Jun 29 9:12 pm

Cat Health > Our Mom Sticks Her Tongue Out!

Snoopy

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '07 8:52pm PST 
My kitty Skunk used to do this all the time. It was so cute! I lost her when I was in high school. Poor girl had a tumor behind her eye. She was fantastic though and we had a lot of pictures of her doing this! It's just a normal fun kitty thing.

I'm glad that your mom and all the kittens are doing well and are healthy now! URIs are NO FuN!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Charm, Jun 20 1:42 am

Behavior & Training > New Home

Neysa

I'm a kitty- freak!

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '07 12:02pm PST 
If you decide to get her spayed this week I would get a crate for her (if you have anything like a medium-large sized dog crate that's what I used with Neysa). That way you can easily see her, make sure she has food, water and a litter box. But i would just be concerned that if she has surgery, and you can't get to her if you needed to, that you might not be able to check her incision site to see if things are healing properly. I had Neysa in a large dog crate. There was plenty of room for her litter box, food, water, toys and bed. She had a safe place where she wasn't really disturbed and I could get to her to check her incision. That way I could also be sure that she wouldn't end up doing something that would tear her sutures (so for that reason I might get a crate for Hildee or use some other way to keep her in one specific area of the house no matter when you have her spayed.)

You might want to talk with your vet about the spay date. I'm sure that whenever she has the procedure things will go fantastically but we'll be sending good thoughts to Hildee!
[notify]

» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Hildee, Jun 27 6:40 am

Behavior & Training > SCRATCHING POSTS ARE EXPENSIVE!

Neysa

I'm a kitty- freak!

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '07 9:13am PST 
I got our 2 scratching posts for Neysa from www.craigslist.org it's a website where you can make purchases from individuals locally. Ours were used and Neysa has never had a problem with them. She loves them and has never gotten sick from them. I think that there are some diseases that are contagious enough you could spread them through contact (like if your cat goes outside) but I'm not sure how long those can survive on an object that isn't living. Also if your kitty is up to date on its vaccinations it would be no different that if it were an inside/outside cat (they come in contact with other animals/etc then anyway).

Do you know why the neighbor's cat passed away?

Hope you find what you're looking for!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jerome(2004-2010), Jun 19 12:36 pm

Behavior & Training > New Home
Snoopy

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '07 9:06am PST 
I've never had a 'mom' in the house as far as our kitties go so I can't really comment on that part, but I do know this!

Snoopy hides under the bed for several days when he gets into a new home. I show him where his food/water/litter box are and then he's off and running for cover. He'll sneak out at night to get his food/water/etc. But we've been in the house a year and now he's coming out into every room of the house. It's been normal for him to do that every time we've had a move (and we've had several!) but he always gets over it.

Just watch to see if Hildee is eating her food (coming out at all) and let her adjust at her own pace. As long as she's getting her basic needs, I think everything will be fine. I'd also have treats handy so that if you do catch her out and about she can get a positive reward in addition to your attention.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Hildee, Jun 27 6:40 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.