Postings by Bailey's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My Little Snowie Is Gone
Stormy(1989-- 2005)Bridge- Kitty

Stormy by Name- and by Nature

Purred: Sat Feb 27, '10 8:24am PST 
Daniel Aaron--I know it's hard for you and your family right now, but please don't delete Snowie; she will always be a part of your family in your hearts. As another poster said, she can join the A Team group--they have wingmakers there who can give her lovely wings so she can fly among the clouds here at the Rainbow Bridge. That way, she can keep watch over her family wherever they are. Purrs to you and your family.hug
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 28 8:59 am

Cats & Travel > Board or Home Alone
Lucy

Tripods are- Terrific!!

Purred: Fri Dec 18, '09 4:12am PST 
There are 4 of us here now, and very few places around that board cats. Meowmy prefers to leave us home with a friend to come in at least daily for some fresh food, water, litter scooping, and some playtime. But through the shelter where she is a volunteer, she found a vet tech who pet-sits on the side. She is very reliable and will even stay at your house if you prefer, and can/will give meds, and her rates are very reasonable as opposed to boarding 4 cats (and 2 dogs). Maybe your vet or one of their techs can recommend someone; so far, for us that has been the best option.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Feb 18 10:54 am

Behavior & Training > climbing the xmas tree!

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Sun Nov 29, '09 10:09pm PST 
At more than 15 lbs., I can have the tree down in minutes--I just climb near the top, then the tree falls over and all the pretty balls go rolling on the floor, and we can play "ornament hockey"!! But now Meowmy has taken the fun away--she took monofilament fishing line and secured the tree to 2 different spots on the window frame. Now when I climb it, it jiggles a bit, and an ornament or two may fall, but the lovely big CRASH never happens anymore. (Not nearly as much fun)!
[notify]

» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Chaucer, Dec 18 3:49 am

Choosing the Right Cat > 4 to many?

Rocky

New Tripod in- Town

Purred: Sat Nov 28, '09 12:08am PST 
There are 4 here, as well as 2 dogs; currently meowmy is going through a divorce and buying a house where she will live with all of us. Her friends at the shelter where she is a cat foster are planning a housewarming gift of...(you guessed it!)....another kitty! This one is a very special cat who has been there a long time and the staff are very attached to her. They have been so picky about adopting her out that she has been there almost a year. She was to be the "shelter mascot" but has no fear of other animals and they are afraid she'll jump into a kennel with the wrong dog and get injured. Our dogs are so cat-friendly they love nothing more than sleeping with a big pile of warm cats, so the shelter folks think this would be the purr-fect home for her. And Meowmy thinks so too!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Alaska, Nov 28 8:16 am

Behavior & Training > NEVER adopt a declawed cat (?)

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Fri Sep 25, '09 4:56am PST 
There are both clawed and declawed kitties in our house. The declawed ones came that way from the shelter (I am one of the declaws). I think most of the behavior is simply a cat's purrsonality; I am loving, mellow and sweet, love everyone, and never have litterbox issues. My housemate Sabrina, on the other hand (also declawed) is hissy and growly with the rest of us cats, but very attached to the humans here; meowmy thinks that she was an only cat for a long time (she was an older kitty when she came here to live) and simply would rather be the only cat in the house; but she is not destructive and has no potty issues. But some of that behavior could be due to her poor eyesight--she is blind in one eye and doesn't see things if they are to the left of her. The clawed cats, Lucy and Rocky (especially Rocky the rock star) can be kind of rowdy but never destructive, perfectly litter-trained, and also loving but independent--they are both tripods, each missing one leg. I think that just like people, we are all different; but "there's a lid for every pot" as they say, and there's a place for all of us, clawed or declawed, cheerful or crotchety, affectionate or stand-offish, clingy or independent. To advise people to never adopt a declawed cat would be to sentence all of the declaws in shelters to death rather than to work with their problems (if they have them at all). I think that opinion is uncaring, and not that of a true cat-lover.
[notify]

» There has since been 45 posts. Last posting by Alfie - Angel DB#14, Mar 18 10:51 am

Cat Health > Help - How can Mom get me to eat
Sabrina

Please Take Me- Home With You

Purred: Wed Sep 9, '09 7:58pm PST 
After my eye injury and surgery, I came here as a foster. (Technically, I am still a "foster" even though I've been here 9 months, and most likely will be here forever, since no one seems to be looking for an older, one-eyed kitty). But after surgery, I had some vomiting, and after that I wouldn't eat. Meowmy syringe-fed me and gave me subq fluids, but tried lots of things to make me eat on my own. She used canned food (either cat food, or people-food tuna, etc.) with strong odors, like tuna, shrimp, mackerel, liver, and hearts. She also used baby food that is all meat, like chicken or beef (no additions like noodles or rice, and no added sugar or salt). She warmed it in the microwave for a few seconds to intensify the aroma; just be sure it doesn't get too hot. She started by placing just a small dab on the tip of my nose, then I would lick it off; after a few little dabs I would usually take a couple licks off the dish. It's a slow process, and like Luna said, try adding a little juice from canned tuna for extra fluid content. If Sally won't eat this way, continue syringe-feeding until she is ready to eat. In some extreme circumstances, the vet may have to place a feeding tube for a while. Good Luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 12 6:02 pm

Behavior & Training > Biting!

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Tue Sep 1, '09 7:50am PST 
Hey Bumpurr--I think the peroxide is for the human's bite wounds, not to spray Tyce with! laugh out loud shock
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Dusty, Sep 2 11:37 am

Cat Health > My cat ate a ribbon then he

Sabrina

Purred: Tue Sep 1, '09 7:35am PST 
Get to a vet NOW!!! A swallowed ribbon or string is called a linear foreign body, and is considered a true emergency! These types of foreign bodies are very dangerous. If a piece is swallowed, it can actually cut through the intestine as it works its way through. Your vet will probably take an x-ray to look for obstruction. Please call your vet now and keep us updated. We are purring for you.hug
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Myles, Sep 3 8:51 am

Cat Health > What I\'ve learned about pilling cats

Rocky

New Tripod in- Town

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 5:44am PST 
Meowmy frequently fosters sick kitties who need meds, and the suggestions here are all good ones; but when all else fails, you can use a "pill pusher". It liiks like a syringe with a grabber on the end to hild the pill. Place the end in the cat's mouth, push the plunger, and viola!! the pill is gone! Sometimes the cats are pretty cantankerous when they are sick, and refuse all treats, as well as resisting having the pill forced into their mouths. And a cat bite can be a painful and downright dangerous thing due to infection. The pill pusher keeps your fingers out of the kitty's mouth. We found one on Drs. Foster & Smith website for $4.99. Just go to the website and do a search for "pill pusher". Well worth it to avoid a bite!!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Minxy (1987-2008), Aug 16 5:14 pm

Cat Health > Is there a quick remedy for hairballs?
Sabrina

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 5:28am PST 
Although technically a foster, I have been in this house for about 8 months, and since there are no adoption prospects at present, it is pretty likely that I'll be staying here a loooooong time (like furever), but that's a whole 'nother story. Meowmy fosters kitties for our local shelter until they are ready for adoption, usually the ones that have medical needs like meds, treatments, dressings and subq fluids. All the suggestions here are good ones, but sometimes finicky kitties (like me) just won't take the hairball medicine. I get frequent hairballs, and so far have refused every remedy she's tried, including Petromalt, Drs. Foster/Smith, and every other brand imaginable (and I need it 1-2 times a week to prevent the hairballs). So meowmy takes an oral syringe--the kind used to dispense liquid medicine-- and squeezes about 1 1/2- 2 ml (equivalent of about 1-inch ribbon of the paste or gel) into the syringe, then squirts it into my mouth. Once it is actually in my mouth, it's too sticky to spit out, so I swallow it. That's the only way she'll ever get it into me.

P.S.--do not do this with mineral oil or any petroleum product--if the kitty should accidentally aspirate it, this could cause a nasty pneumonia.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Gracie, Aug 18 11:37 pm

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.