Postings by MAGGIE MAY(in loving memory)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 37: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Kitten Corner > Ferral Kitten - need advice
McCoy

Purred: Fri Jun 1, '12 5:26pm PST 
We did a tnr on 2 girl kitties outside..Mellie and Midnight. Midnight had kittens and was a great mom. We took all 4 to a shelter where they were adopted out. She missed being a mom so badly that Mellie had a tuxedo kitten and she took care of him. We named the kitten M&M after his two mom's. Well now all 3 were tnr'd. A few weeks ago, Midnight disappeared and since Mellie is just crabby, M&M has been more interested in people. He finally let us pet him and now rubs our feet & legs when we feed him outside. He plays with us with string & cat toys too. So, what do we do? Should we try to work with him & try to domesticate him? Has anyone done this before? We have 3 boys and our house is soooo calm. We aren't sure if we want to shake things up. He falls at our feet and seems submissive. The only issue is that he scratches us & bites a lot. I'm trying to teach him not to do this. He also tries to chew my skirts & pants too. I noticed he curls his tail around us and keeps flopping down in front of us...this is a sign of affection? I treated him with frontline..fleas are gone finally too. He drinks out of our pond, so I know parasites are possible. Do we do this? I have never taken in or worked with a ferral cat. My husband works 12 hour days...sometimes longer & I have a full time job too. If anyone has advice...even how to get him to stop biting!!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gidget, Jun 10 2:45 pm

Cat Health > Hiccups, Coughing?? What is it?
McCoy

Purred: Mon May 2, '11 6:17am PST 
UPDATE...McCoy is doing GREAT! He has not coughed at all. Apparently he had lung worm and it seems that the rescues in our area have all been coming in with this. I just thought I would post this because it would be helpful to some of you. It was a very inexpensive medicine. It seemed just like when a cat has asthmatic symptoms too...we are very thankful that he's ok. He has been very expensive since November, but we truly love him and feel so great that we could help this little furball since someone decided to just dump him and leave him for dead outside.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 2 6:45 am

McCoy

Purred: Sun Apr 3, '11 5:45am PST 
OK here is our update. He hasn't coughed since Thursday, but he keeps swallowing hard and there is a thump sound when he swallows. It's not all day that he does this & he's still eating & playing. He will need to go to the vet this week again. We have to figure out what this is.

Apparently, heartworm makes kitties cough too...so maybe that's why we have this medicine?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 2 6:45 am

McCoy

Purred: Fri Apr 1, '11 4:01pm PST 
oh and no smokers in this house......
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 2 6:45 am

McCoy

Purred: Fri Apr 1, '11 3:56pm PST 
We feed all the cats CD wet food. I know, I know its not great, but since we switched, no one has had bladder infections. If it was my choice, I'd feed them holistic, but we don't have the choice. In the backyard, he got our kitties scraps. Sometimes when he throws up after coughing, its just clear pleghm. I am trying to give the medicine a shot first. If he's still coughing next week, he has to go back to the vet and that's when the vet said he will start doing the xrays, bloodwork etc. We aren't home all day, but my husband is in & out for his cabinet business. We haven't heard him cough yet today. Not sure if he did it while we were gone though. thinking He's breaking down & so is his mom...my thyroid has gone haywire & I had melanoma a few years back, so I just had two moles removed again...praying they come back ok. When it rains, it pours!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 2 6:45 am

McCoy

Purred: Thu Mar 31, '11 5:11pm PST 
It's weird...like he's swallowing hard a lot. I probably shouldn't have said hiccupping, but it's strange sound. It sounds like something is pumping his lungs. He's done this hard swallowing thing ever since we brought him in the house in November. The coughing doesn't happen anytime he eats though. It's just for no reason at all. I'm praying its not asthma. Can a cat just develope asthma overnight? thinking
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 2 6:45 am

McCoy

Purred: Thu Mar 31, '11 4:55pm PST 
We went to the emergency center because our cats always break down on Sundays. We spent $125 for the office fee and another 235 on x rays. I still have them and they are huge. The vet saw nothing at the time, but he was there for having diarrhea.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 2 6:45 am

McCoy

Purred: Thu Mar 31, '11 4:06pm PST 
Sorry Mommy had a busy week working..didn't have time to even jump on here..my apologies!

So, Mccoy coughs twice a day. In the morning @ 7AM and usually at night about 8PM. Sometimes he coughs so badly that he throws up which he did last night.

I know all of you are saying to see another vet. This vet is really good. We bring all 4 cats there. The problem is that we aren't rich & we don't have thousands of dollars to do these tests. He had Xrays for $350 a few weeks ago and there was nothing abnormal, but we weren't having these coughing spells like now...this was for diarheah. See, we have been to the vet 10 times since November. He was a rescue from the backyard, so we don't know much about him. What we do know is that he's a good boy & he has cost my husband & I so much money...but we love him anyway! We are up over $2800 now for him. Our vet felt bad for us, he knows we love our animals and he knows we just rescued him, so he's trying not to go nuts. See, he's not acting sick. He's fine, excpept for these 2-3 times he coughs a day. He plays, eats, goes to the litter box and runs all over the house. The vet gave us an antibiotic-parasite formula that we have to give him twice a day for a week. He said, if this doesn't work, we will need to do further testing. He's a young cat..just about 2. I have youtubed a lot of the cat asthma attacks and it looks just like that. I also have googled hairballs, and it seems similar also. thinking Is there a way for me to post a video with the attack here? Maybe all of your opinions will help. I'm sure we will be going back to the vet. I'm not sure how long this medicine takes, but he's still doing this twice a day....wink
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 2 6:45 am

McCoy

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 3:45pm PST 
I was recued by Mommy & Daddy. I had so many issues & they spent 3 months and over $2500 to get me better. Now I started this hicupping thing & coughing. Mommy & Daddy took me to the vet to see if I was OK. The vet didn't do anything (no bloodwork or tests). He said let it go for a few weeks..if it gets worse, bring me back. He said it may be asthma, parasites in the lungs? Mommy uses clumping litter because it never smells and this is what all my brothers are used to. I never had an issue for the past few months with this litter. Mommy even took the tops off our litterboxes now hoping this would help. I basically makes a noise almost like I'm trying to get rid of a hairball. It almost sounds congested, but the dr said my lungs were clear. It happens about 3 times a day...at no set time. I even wind up screaming really loud sometimes when I cough.

We don't know his history since we just rescued him from outside in November. We are going to take him back to the vet this week, but the tests will be a lot of money. Does anyone have experience with this? If it is asthma, how do we help him? I don't know what this is???thinking
[notify]

» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Hunter *Dreamboat #82*, May 2 6:45 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > TNR Progrsams in New Jersey
McCoy

Purred: Mon Mar 14, '11 4:06pm PST 
We have two stray cats that are visiting our yard frequently. We felt sorry for them and we feed them sometimes, but just these two. We rescued McCoy from our yard too, but we think someone dumped him because he is not feral. These other two cats are not people friendly, but they are food friendly. I have called several shelters in the area without any luck. We feel the most humane thing to do is to do a TNR. I'm afraid they wil be put down if we bring them to the shelter. Problem is..no one will call us back or help! We have never done this before and don't want 100 cats running around. Does anyone know of any groups wiling to help? I have even called our vet down the street. We just need some help to trap & provide shelter for a aday or two so they can heal since we don't have a garage.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by McCoy, Mar 14 4:06 pm

(Page 1 of 37: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.