Postings by Stacey's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Food & Nutrition > Vegetarian/Vegan Cats?
Tripod

I Get Around

Purred: Sat Jul 9, '11 12:01pm PST 
Sorry I came so late to the party, but in case anyone is still listening, here are a few links. First, a cat can thrive on a properly-supplemented vegan diet. It is not a stupid idea, and in fact vegan cats can be healthier than their equivalent carnivore cats.

I highly recommend Obligate Carnivore: Cats, Dogs, and What It Really Means To Be Vegan; it's a great book and a fun read.

Please also visit the Evolution Diet site and Vegan Essentials site for their take on vegan cats. Both my cats have been vegan for at least a year now and I approached this with much hesitation before transitioning them. They are both healthy, active, and alert; if there were any problem with their eating vegan food I would certainly re-evaluate the situation, but at this time there's no need to.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Brownie, Jul 12 3:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > Food for Bladder Health
Tripod

I Get Around

Purred: Mon Jun 11, '07 8:06am PST 
Mom adds a tiny bit of vitamin C powder to my food to increase acidity; the struvite crystals form in the urine if it's too alkaline.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Felix , Jun 12 4:50 am

Food & Nutrition > PETA & Vegetarian Cats??

Tripod

I Get Around

Purred: Fri Mar 23, '07 7:59pm PST 
Sorry, guys: PeTA is right; cats can be vegan. I've been eating Evolution vegan cat food for most of my life now, and I'm full of energy. Mom makes sure to add Vitamin C to my food, however, to make sure my urine stays acid and I don't form crystals (ouch!)

Cats do not need meat if their diet is adequately supplemented.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hunter, Mar 24 9:07 am

Behavior & Training > Lil' Billy IS eating my PLANTS!!!

Pookie

I'm a- free-thinker

Purred: Mon Jan 22, '07 7:12am PST 
Two things:

1. Make sure there are no poisonous plants (such as oleander or poinsettia) available to him; many common houseplants are poisonous to cats, so you should either not have them or make sure your cat doesn't get near them. There is a list at:
blankees.com/house/plants/poisonous.htm

2. Get him a pot of cat grass! Cats naturally eat grass, and it's good for them. Wheat grass comes in a kit available at shop.robbinspetcare.com/cats/catgrasskit.html and many other places, including pet supply stores.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hunter, Jan 23 9:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Best Clumping Litter?

Tripod

I Get Around

Purred: Mon Jan 22, '07 6:40am PST 
Most clumping cat litter is very bad for cats because its active ingredient is glue; naturally, the cats lick their paws and end up ingesting the glue. Even small amounts can be harmful.

Mom is transitioning us from the Arm and Hammer clumping litter to World's Best, which is made from corn--and it also clumps, but isn't as potentially toxic.
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Loki, Mar 21 9:08 am

Grooming > polydactyl cats and coloring
Stacey

I Will Survive

Purred: Tue Jan 16, '07 7:52pm PST 
Well, I'm a Maine coon, and I just have the regular number of toes; that's enough for me!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Gabielle, May 18 7:45 pm

Grooming > Fur between my toes

Stacey

I Will Survive

Purred: Tue Jan 16, '07 7:31pm PST 
Well, I'm a Maine Coon, and we have shaggy paws--and everything else! We're one breed that got developed by natural selection, not selective breeding; the Maine winters used to be fierce, and Maine Coons are originally farm cats that had to survive the mean Maine winters!

Mom says I don't have a problem tracking litter, which is good; I hate having my feet touched, much less trimmed!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mr. Jones, Feb 4 7:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Why is this crazy cat panting??

Tripod

I Get Around

Purred: Fri Jan 12, '07 8:29pm PST 
I get my bursts of energy in the morning and evening, and run all over the place. Of course I pant! Wouldn't you?
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by William Wallace, Jan 14 1:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Why is this crazy cat panting??

Tripod

I Get Around

Purred: Fri Jan 12, '07 8:26pm PST 
I get my bursts of energy in the morning and evening, and run all over the place. Of course I pant! Wouldn't you?
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by William Wallace, Jan 14 1:37 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > cat for assisted living alzeheimers patient
Buddy-boy- (was a true- friend)

Good old cat

Purred: Sun Dec 31, '06 9:36pm PST 
Many facilities either have Visiting Pets programs or participate in such programs. My mom had a golden retriever for several years that went visiting with her to nursing homes and day-care centers for a while; some hospitals have internal programs where they screen applicants. They have standards for cats and dogs; they have to be groomed and well-behaved, for instance, and well-socialized. I don't know if your mother's facility can participate in such a program, but many hospitals, hospices, and care centers find pet therapy to be a valuable tool.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sa, Jan 3 7:26 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.