Postings by Phoebe's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 67: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Help?! Getting VERY upset when other cats are outside
Phoebe

I'm Fusky! (I'm- furry and I'm- husky!)

Purred: Fri Sep 18, '09 10:09pm PST 
Phoebe is a strictly indoor cat, but we have a sun/screen porch which she absolutely loves. She will spend all day out there if I let her and loves to watch the wildlife. We have a nice birdfeeder and small fountain, so she is well entertained. She has NO problems with birds, chipmunks, squirrels, woodchucks, etc. There has even been a skunk out there--and a deer. There has also been a dog around a few times--no problem. She enjoys watching all of the goings on and does not get at all upset.
Unfortunately, the same can not be said of a cat if one comes near the house. We have one in particular recently who has been quite brazen about coming quite close to the house.
Phoebe goes wild--literally. She goes into that feral mode and becomes extremely agressive. She growls, hisses, and her hair bristles. She is completely in another world when this happens and it is a bit frightening to see. It takes her a few minutes to settle down when this happens. The level of upset seems to be on the rise.
I spoke to my vet and he said that territorial aggression is a form of anxiety. He had no real suggestions other than trying mothballs to keep the cat away from the house--but I'm afraid that might hurt the other little critters that come around. The only other remedy he mentioned was medication.
I am open to ANY suggestions. I know that with dogs there are some training strategies that can help with this problem, but I don't know if any behavior mod works for cats. I worry that she is just getting herself more and more upset as time goes on and I worry about her hurting someone if she gets into this state while we have visitors.
ANY thoughts are appreciated.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Isabelle, Sep 19 9:23 pm

Cat Health > Our cat Rupert has terminal cancer
Spice- (1988-May- 27, 2005)

And I resent the- accusation...

Purred: Tue Mar 24, '09 8:42am PST 
Rupert: Enjoy your time as much as you can. Your Mommy will take good care of you. I know you will stay with her as long as you can, just like I did.
We cats have a fairly high pain tolerance and my Momba watched me very closely when I was sick before I went to the bridge. I think your Mommy will find that you are not really in pain, but she will see a gradual slowing down. If there is a little pain, perhaps there is some medication you can take. You and your Mommy will know when it is time, but in the meantime spend all the quality time with her that you can.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Olivia, Mar 25 7:52 am

Cat Health > Oh boy....moral dilemma. Long

Purred: Tue Mar 24, '09 8:34am PST 
Momba and I are so happy you are doing well. We want to see some new, handsome pictures of Oscar now that he is feeling better!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Dexter, Mar 27 8:14 am

Cat Health > Oh boy....moral dilemma. Long

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '09 8:46am PST 
Thank you for taking care of Oscar. If he has hypertyroid, then the treatment for that might help him have a big improvement. I had radiocat therapy at 14 and lived a very full life for an additional 3 years before I developed kidney failure and went to the bridge.
Momba says that older cats are the most special and she is glad that Oscar will live the rest of his life with you love and good care.
[notify]

» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Dexter, Mar 27 8:14 am

Cat Health > My cat is sick - please help!!!

Phoebe

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '09 8:41am PST 
Hunter is right. The cold-wet nose is more of a dog thing, I think. We cats have different was of showing we are not feeling well. The most dangerous thing for us is dehydration; we are not the best 'drinkers' as it is, and we can become dehydrated VERY quickly. Please do not wait too long!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Orphy, Mar 21 8:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > For those looking to lose weight...
Phoebe

Purred: Thu Mar 19, '09 10:09am PST 
Oh dear. Mommy seems to like that idea for my dry food. I only get 3 tablespoons of dry a day (my main diet is wet--but I LOVE LOVE LOVE dry.) Now she is going to make me work for it?
cry
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 19 10:09 am

Cat Health > Lump inside ear

Phoebe

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:57am PST 
Gee, the size of an acorn sounds big. That being said, it is likely an abcess or infection of some sort because I don't THINK a cyst/tumor could appear so large and so fast. Mommy would still like your Gamma to at least CALL the vet and maybe he can give her some ointment to put on it to see if that makes it better. (I like having my ears rubbed, so maybe it won't be too hard to apply.) Then, if you treat it as an infection and it does not improve, you can go on to the next step...
Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Daniel, Mar 26 5:27 pm

Cat Health > Head and Ear Twitching

Phoebe

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:51am PST 
You know, Boots, you may have answered your own question. If you think about it, it makes sense that there may have bit of nerve damage from the eye surgery which could cause twitching. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to call your vet to ask if this symptom is one that could have resulted as a side effect of the surgery. That will probably ease your mind.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 17 8:51 am

Cat Health > sick again..

Phoebe

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:48am PST 
Yay for Bella!
Mommy always keeps a close eye on me when I am having a lazy day because I was diagnosed as being positive for coronavirus at around the same age as Bella. I REALLY gave Mommy a scare the first time I was sick and I made her spend over $400 for the vet just to get better when I was ready to...
If Bella is slightly asthmatic like a lot of kitties, she may have good and bad days. Maybe we can chalk this up to the change of seasons...cats have allegies too, so maybe some spring things are bothering her.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 17 8:48 am

Cat Health > Casting for a new TLC documentary!
Phoebe

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:41am PST 
Animal Planet has been showing a series called "Cat 101" recently. Mommy and I have enjoyed watching it, even though they have not shown any Tortisinicoon (I think that I am a Tortoiseshell-Abissinian-Maine Coon...that is my story and I'm sticking to it) cats; I guess that is because I am the only one! smile
Anyway, they did the same kind of thing; they found obsessed cat owners to represent the life of one of each kind of cat. I suspect that TLC will hear from more dog people than cat people.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 17 8:41 am

(Page 1 of 67: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.