GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Grooming > A good litter to use with the Litter Maid
Duffy

I gotcha wrapped- around my paw.

Purred: Wed Feb 25, '09 8:35pm PST 
Hi Catsters!

It's been a while, missed this place! We haven't been online as much lately, but we took the bother because we've got a question I'm just SURE you Catsters will be able to help us with!

I got a Litter Maid brand self-cleaning "robot box" and for the most part I love it, but it's been acting up lately and I'm sure it's the fault of the litter we use. Fresh Step seems to turn to cement once it merges with urine and the claw-thing can't power through it. No wonder, since I have a hard time chipping it from the box manually, and I'm pretty sure an axe or pick would be more useful than the plastic scoop!

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, quick-clumping litter that doesn't fuse to the box? Any other Litter Maid users with tips to share?

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Raven, Feb 27 12:27 pm

New to Catster/Tips & Tricks > Site Feedback?
Jake

The World: your- oyster, my- napping space

Purred: Wed Feb 25, '09 8:30pm PST 
Is there a way to give feedback about the site?

I really think that the Forums here on Catster need a new addition!

Why isn't there a Litter Box forum? Issues related to litter don't quite go into grooming, and they don't always have anything to do with training.

Just a suggestion. It's a pretty important aspect of cat ownership and I feel it deserves its own forum. wink

Meow meow! Don't worry, we still think Catster is great!

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Apollo (In Memory), Feb 25 9:34 pm

Behavior & Training > Unthinkable destructions.

Duffy

Purred: Mon Jul 21, '08 11:26pm PST 
When Duffy first moved in (when I came back to live with my folks), my mom loved him. Now she mentions almost daily how much she hates him. His tendency to get into everything never earned him any brownie points, but the crowning glory of misbehavior got discovered last night and left my mother in tears of upset and anger.

He got into a box filled with mementos of my deceased little sister, and proceeded to DESTROY every artifact in the box by peeing profusely on and in it... possibly repeatedly.

I really have no idea what on earth I can do with this cat... used his box like a little pro until we moved from the apartment. He's got more room here, big windows to look out of, and we're free of the other cats who harassed him in our previous living situation so he's king of the roost now... yet he's urinating out of the litterbox?!

If he does anything else I'm afraid my parents will insist on him leaving. Then what in the heck would I do?!

Help would be appreciated. In lieu of help, share any stories you may have of things your cat might have done that you thought you'd never forgive... just so I feel like I'm not alone here.

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BeBe, Jul 24 11:46 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > mommy is gone

Duffy

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 8:04am PST 
If you do ads in the paper or local flyers, be sure to mention there is an adoption fee and make it at least 50 dollars! You don't want to attract a reptile owner looking for cheap feed... any responsible and caring reptile owner would not do this of course, but there are some unscrupulous ones and this is a preferred method for the not-good ones of finding larger animals for their pets to eat. frown

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duffy, Mar 26 8:04 am

Laws & Legislation > Indiana Man Jailed

Duffy

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 7:55am PST 
Boxie Brown, are there links to source information about the animal/human abuse cycle we can add in our letter? Surely prosecutors know that pet abuse and domestic abuse are linked, and that his behavior will almost certainly escalate if it has not already?

Also, I hope and pray that SOMEONE is thinking of the mental and emotional future of these children and is getting them some quality counseling. That poor girl, forced to hurt her kitty. Kudos on that brave little boy for trying to save him.

This makes my heart weep. What a sickening sadness, it's as if there was no room for hope and joy to grow. If this is how it affects us, think how these children must be feeling.

hug

» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Catster HQ, Sep 22 10:30 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Does the pain ever end?
Jake

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 7:39am PST 
I would like to offer a slightly unconventional suggestion... I don't know what sort of a spiritual life you lead, but you may want to try a heart-to-heart connection with your little girl. It's a form of meditation. It may not give you any answers but it might make you feel a little more at peace. If nothing else, it cannot hurt and might soothe you, if only for an afternoon.

Find a quiet and comfortable spot where you feel safe and happy, and let yourself find a relaxed position you feel you can stay still in for a time. Breathe slowly and deeply from your belly (feel your belly move as you breathe... maybe put a hand on your tummy to help you focus on this). When you start to feel very relaxed and a little spacey, concentrate on your kitty. See her, feel her, hear, smell, and touch her, in your mind. Picture her favorite places to sleep, the foods she liked to eat, objects she enjoyed, games she liked to play. When you feel you have her firmly in her mind, start to talk to her, either in your mind, or by speaking softly (maybe even whispering). Some believe this establishes a connection with her, heart to heart, and you can then communicate. Whether you believe that or not, it might still be a valuable tool to help yourself come to terms with this... whether the messages you receive in this state come from your kitty or from deep inside yourself, you will be amazed at the healing that can come from this kind of concentrated meditation!

Tell her anything that comes to mind. Tell her you miss her. If you're not ready for her to go yet, and you need her with you, tell her so. If you want to be open to what she might have needed to do next, whether in life or in death, and you want to release her to go and do those things, tell her so. Tell her it kills you but you'll do it, because you love her. Tell her you pray that she is safe and happy, wherever she may be.

If there are powers beyond knowing, I know the message will get to your cat. If that is not your thing, know that this can be a good way to open your own mind and receive the kind of advice from yourself that you can't get from waiting and worrying.

We wish you love and to find peace in your heart... we have also experienced pets that have gone missing and it is heartrending.

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jake, Mar 26 7:39 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Is it time? How do we know?

Jake

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '08 9:07am PST 
Oh kitties, thank you, this has helped. Thank you so much for all the very thoughtful responses! At least we know we've been doing things right by him.

Jake leads an incredible life. He is a very hardy kitty! He's seen a lot of hardships and given us "death scares" more than a few times... wears his nine lives pretty thin, MOL! In his advancing years he's frightened us with near death episodes only twice so far, so considering his past track record in this he's not done so bad.

He has two vets, both of whom are very good. A couple times, we thought we'd have to put him down... he was throwing up everything he ate and losing ground fast. Then we started the supplements in the food, a "pro-biotic" and one for digestion, and now he eats without vomiting. He also now has Duffy in the house, and they play together and we hope this keeps them young! He doesn't clean himself so well anymore so we have to wipe and brush him at times but he gets around okay.

He's got stairs down from his major napping spots but he is still stubborn about jumping down from things. He doesn't like to give up his independence. For example, the other day he was on my lap and wanted down. I was lifting him slowly and gently (I try to be sure to support him without hurting him when I pick him up, I worry about his arthritis) and he wasn't having any of that "old man coddling nonsense" and jumped out of my arms... he stumbled badly and landed right on his face.

Speaking of his face! He has a cut on his nose that has been there for months. It doesn't heal. It is not infected or anything, just a red mark that never goes away. His fur doesn't have the sheen or texture it once did, probably at least in part because his lack of ability to groom (we try to help him out but he's not got much patience for a brush).

So... he's deteriorating a bit, but at least we know he's still happy.

The vets say he is mostly just a very old cat. He may or may not have a problem with his thyroid but the diagnosis and treatment of that is money my parents don't really have to spare at the moment. (He's a family cat, and lives with the folks). It's a bit difficult in that regard also because Dad isn't much of a cat person and he thinks taking care of Jake is too much hassle and expense when he is so feeble... Dad kind of sees Jake's weakness as a sign that he needs to go, he was the sort who had outdoor dogs growing up and takes a more "practicalist" view. Mom and I were concerned because Dad said we were being selfish to prolong his life when he "can't do anything anymore" but he didn't seem, to us, to be ready to die, so I came here for help because, as I said before, I didn't want a repeat of Garth, who really was in misery when it was finally time for him to go. Misery that, I'm sad to say, we probably prolonged out of our own selfish need for him to stay.

So thank you again, Catsters, we know that Jake's okay so we don't have to feel guilty anymore.

WE LOVE YOU!

cheer

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Abbie (always in my heart), Apr 14 3:42 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Is it time? How do we know?

Jake

Purred: Sun Mar 23, '08 11:18am PST 
Jake is... well, he's not a spring chicken anymore.

BUT. My mom and I are really at a loss here, because we don't know if it's "time" yet. Our last kitty, Garth... we kind of kept him going for far too long because we couldn't let go (he had been my late sister's cat) and we don't want to repeat this with Jake. But at the same time, we don't want to just coldheartedly kill him either. We're really wrestling with the decision and having a hard time with it.

He can't eat without special additives in his food, and he's skinny as a rail. However, his appetite is intact, in fact he eats three cans a day and whatever scraps he can weasel out of us (usually not hard to do).

He's stiff. We think he suffers from arthritis... occasionally he has to have a cortisone shot. He doesn't clean himself so well, he's stiff when he walks, and he stumbles if he tries to jump down from things. He still wants very much to be petted but sometimes when we pet him he cries and bites, we think because it hurts him, but then he's rubbing for more attention again.

He sleeps an awful lot but he still gets around, wants to be in on things, wants to be petted, to explore and play. This is why we can't seem to make the decision... he can't do things as well anymore but he still tries and obviously WANTS to...

He's in some obvious discomfort, but is life still good for him? How will we know when it's time for him to go? Garth didn't really let us know, I think because he knew we needed him. Will Jake do the same thing?

I'm afraid to make him suffer and I'm afraid to send him before it's time. I am not sure what to do...

Any guidance or comfort would be appreciated. Thank you, Catsters.

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Abbie (always in my heart), Apr 14 3:42 pm

Food & Nutrition > It's Too Hard When The Feed is Different!

Duffy

Purred: Fri Mar 14, '08 12:26pm PST 
A belated thank you to everyone who posted! I'm taking Duffy back to my parents' house until I relocate so that ought to put an end to food issues. ^_^

I had to giggle a bit at the suggestion about the smaller hole... it makes sense to suggest of course because he's still technically a kitten, but if you met him you'd giggle too. Duffy is definitely the Junior Kitty in the house at almost-two, but he's MASSIVE. Makes the other two look like lil' shrimps! ^_^ Looks even bigger than he is with the fur... he actually outweighs the dog by a whole pound MOL!

Thanks again for the help everyone!

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rasha, Mar 18 8:58 am

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Cats SAVE lives
Jake

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '08 9:44pm PST 
Ten huzzahs for this article! May the implications start allowing more of the nation to be petfriendly!!

I've also heard of cats saving lives during the war by alerting to incoming bombers. Some even got a Dickon medal and an honored burial, when they died, in a special cemetary for military animals, with the headstone We Also Serve. So cool!

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jake, Mar 7 9:44 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.