Postings by Sis - In Memory 's Family

GO!

Cats & Travel > Moving an Older Cat

Sis - In Memory

Sweet Sissy

Purred: Thu Aug 3, '06 10:28am PST 
By mom: If this helps any, our Sis is over 10 and has never been around dogs before, nor had she ever left our Wisconsin country house she grew up in. We moved her to the city of Chicago, with dogs and noise all around. At first she was stressed, inside all the time to get her used to being here. I would bring her to the house on weekends - she complained the whole way there and back. I couldn't decide if it was worse to leave her here or travel with her. I decided to forego the visits and get her used to the city condo full time. After 8 months she seems much happier here with us now, than she ever did at the house or with the kids who are still there. She settled into the new neighborhood and gets along fine with the dog next door.
Every cat I ever had seemed to be much happier with us as her family than the place where she lived.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Merlin (1996 - 2007), Aug 18 9:06 am

Cats & Travel > Moving an Older Cat
Sis - In Memory

Sweet Sissy

Purred: Thu Jun 15, '06 10:06pm PST 
I was moved at age 12 from being a full time outside country cat, to a tiny condo in the city of Chicago. You can read my story on my page. I stayed inside for the first 6 months in the city. It was torture, I had to use a litter box and hated every second of it. Now that spring is here, I go outside with mom to hang around the deck and roll in the grass once in a while, and use the dirt god gave me for my needs. I am actually in better shape now than I was in the country, except for weepy eyes which is a chronic problem no matter where I live.

Tiger (gone for 19 years) moved to 4 different locations from age 6 months to 5 years old. One trip was overseas to Germany where he lived in the country for 2 years, and did just fine. He then moved back to the US.

It is quite a story, he was a good traveler. We will post his history on my account when we find the old photos of him sitting on the seat of a 747. He sat on mom's lap the whole way there. On the way back he rode in the carrier underneath. Sadly, he was euthanized at age 8 due to kidney failure. Mom still misses Tiger the most.
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Merlin (1996 - 2007), Aug 18 9:06 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Tiger, I never knew ye 1976-1985

Sis - In Memory

Sweet Sissy

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 9:22pm PST 
But I do feel like we met even if through our mom. She has a photo album just for him, she even srote a short story about him. I hope she does the same for me one day!

Sometimes I feel like second fiddle to Tiger's memory. He only lived 8 years. Mom found him as a kitten in Texas. His mother's name was "Fleas." She had been abandoned at a park with all her kittens and Tiger was the lucky one. After he was cleaned up, he traveled with mom as her best pal to Illinois, Maryland, and Germany during the next 4 years. They settled into a new home in 1979. That was where Tiger was happiest, with mom and the new human babies. He wanted to be near her all the time and would sneak up under the covers to stretch out alongside her to sleep all night, then sneak down quietly and leave before everyone woke up. His tail was shortened by some defect when he was born. He looked like Sylvester, and that was his official name but they called him Tiger because he loved to crawl on his belly like a ferret, then jump on things. They played hide and seek together and he went for long walks with mom, just like a dog.

Tiger had to be euthanized due to kidney failure. Mom still misses him once in a while, all these years later. I quietly sit by her when she thinks about him. I don't know what it is, that makes these humans mourn their cats except that it must be a very strong connection. Maybe one day she'll like me just as much as Tiger.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Arthur (Miss You! '93-'09), May 27 1:32 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.