Postings by Junior's Family

GO!

Food & Nutrition > Best food for UTI prone cat

Junior

Purred: Sat Sep 22, '12 6:34am PST 
Thanks for the responses. We are trying a variety of food to see what he takes to but so far it looks like Fancy Feast and Friskies are his favorites and the only kind he doesn't take one look at and walk away from. He is on a different antibiotic this time and we are adding glucosamine on another rec from the vet.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Gabriel, Mar 4 1:46 pm

Food & Nutrition > Best food for UTI prone cat
Junior

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '12 4:35pm PST 
We just had to have Junior to the vet again for a UTI. He had some crystals and what they called sludge. The vet recommended a prescription food (Royal Canin Urinary SO) because he gets them frequently.

We got some for now but I was wondering if anybody had any success with any other brand, or with a prescription diet. Possibly something with a little more variety because he can be a picky eater.

I read that you should avoid fish flavors but other than that I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Gabriel, Mar 4 1:46 pm

Cat Health > UTI prevention in male cats

Junior

Purred: Tue Jul 24, '12 1:52pm PST 
My vet does a urinalysis each time, but this was the first time he was worried about crystals/blockage.

They are mostly fed wet food - Fancy Feast. But of the 3 cats he's the one most likely to walk away from food (he tries to bury it for later but it doesn't work). So we do supplement with some dry food. I didn't know about adding water to wet food though.

I just thought about this yesterday, and it may sound stupid, but can the type of litter bring on a UTI? After his last one we changed to unscented litter and he was doing pretty well. But about 2-3 weeks before his latest infection some scented litter got picked up and mixed in. And this was the longest he had went between infections (about a year and half) since he started getting them. And he loves to dig/bury in the litter box. If there wasn't a lid he would have litter everywhere.

Thanks for all of the information.
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by BK, Feb 2 9:54 am

Cat Health > UTI prevention in male cats

Junior

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 4:46pm PST 
About 5 weeks ago Junior made a trip to the vet for another UTI. This is about his 4th one and the worst so far of them all. They took x-rays and he has no crystallization so they put him on his usual round of medicine which he has finished and is back to feeling better. But I would like to try my best to prevent another infection.

Does anybody have any experience with preventative measures that work well. We have a Feliway plug to see if that helps reduce any stress he might have. But I didn't know if there was any more products or type of food that worked best.
[notify]

» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by BK, Feb 2 9:54 am

Cat Health > Questions about UTI's and urination problem

Junior

Purred: Tue Aug 9, '11 3:04pm PST 
I'm not sure about the litter boxes. We have 3 but they all seem to prefer a certain one over the others and that is the one they use the most. Plus he is a digger so he does get down into the litter.

They mostly have a wet food diet but I do have some dry food because sometimes thats all I can get him to eat.

I did contact my Vet today and they gave me another round of antibiotics. I'm going to give it about a week to see if he improves any before making an appointment. But I am certainly going to look in other directions.

Thanks for the link BK. It has a lot of information and is a big help

Thanks,
Juniors Family
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Aug 10 5:38 pm

Cat Health > Questions about UTI's and urination problem
Junior

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '11 7:52pm PST 
A little over 2 years ago Jr. started peeing outside of the little box (in the bathtub). We took him to the vet and he pulled urine from his bladder and said that it did have some sediment in it. He was put on an antiobiotic and anti anxiety medication to help with the UTI.

This seemed to clear the problem up for the most part till he started peeing outside of the little box again towards the middle of 2010. We took him back to the vet and this time they did a full work up including checking for any crystals. They didn't find anything major, just some more sediment, but put him on another dose of antibiotics and anti anxiety medication.

Since then, however, he seems to be peeing outside of the little box about once a month in the exact same spot till this last bit. He's peed outside of the litter box 4 times in the last 2 weeks. 3 of these were in his normal spot (at the end of the hall) and the last one was downstairs a few minutes ago right in front of me.

I'm just not sure if this is another UTI or another problem. We use Fresh Step litter and it appears that they may have changed something with the litter (the last box said New odor control).

I'm getting ready to call the vet in the morning to see if I can get him an appointment or more antibiotics. But it has been suggested to me that I might want to see another vet for another opinion since this seems to be a recurring problem. This one is fond of prescribing anti anxiety medication for him and I don't care for the result (I think it makes him worse - he just lays around all day and doesn't even want to play).

I know that once a cat gets a UTI for the first time that its easy to get them again, but this almost seems constant. Is there anything I can do specificaly to help prevent future problems?

Is it possible he's just constanly reacting to the same spot. We clean it with Natures Miracle every time he pees and we've used No Mark spray. We also have a feliway plug nearby. We've even used a blacklight and nothing shows.

Does this seem to be a constant UTI problem or a training problem? There are two other cats in the house (his litter mates) who use the litter boxes. He uses the litter boxes as well except for these instances. And should I seek out a second opinion? I'm just not sure if my current vet is doing all that he can to help with this problem, but I'm new to this so I'm not really sure.

Thanks,
Juniors family
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Aug 10 5:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Peeing on the floor

Junior

Purred: Sun Oct 17, '10 10:20am PST 
I'll have to try that. So far he hasn't done it again but I've caught him over in that area sniffing the floor. Hopefully that's as far as he's going to go.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Junior, Oct 17 10:20 am

Behavior & Training > Peeing on the floor

Junior

Purred: Sun Oct 10, '10 8:19pm PST 
Junior has started peeing on the floor. Its not constant - its only about once a month but he keeps going back to the exact same place.Its at the back of the house were the dirty clothes hamper is stored. The first two times he was caught peeing on the floor we took him to the vet and he was given medicine for a Urinary Tract Infection. But each time he just starts back up again.

Is is possible to keep getting constant UTI's? And if so what can be done to prevent this. Or could this be a problem with other behaviors? He's one of three cats but we do have 4 litter boxes.

The area has been treated with Natures Miracle (and a black light is not showing anything).

At this point I'm not sure what is going on and any advice would be great.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Junior, Oct 17 10:20 am

Behavior & Training > Bad scratching

Callie

Purred: Sat Nov 4, '06 6:34am PST 
I need some help because my scratching is out of control. I have a scratching post and many scratching pads to keep me happy. But I still feel the urge to scratch at the wall (drywall) and the carpet. I put a small hole in the carpet and I have some marks on the walls. My people don't want to get me declawed but they don't know what else to do. Does anybody know anything that will help me break this habit.

Thanks,
Callie
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Fluffy, Nov 12 6:18 am

Behavior & Training > Nightime and chewing problems with cat.
Junior

Purred: Fri Sep 15, '06 4:34am PST 
I'm having a problem with one of my cats. Junior likes to chew on anything he can get his paws on. Paper, shoes, DVD cases, books. This used to be just annoying but now he's trying to chew metal. The other day I caught his trying to chew on a screw and he also keeps going for metal arm on and air vent.

When it comes to the air vent he likes to do this anywere between 5 and 6 am. The other day he even managed to pull it out of the floor. If its not the air vent he's scratching at the carpet or he's knocking things off of shelves or he's clawing at the bed. Ignoring him, which I've tried, doesn't help. He just keeps doing it.

Is their anything I can do about either of these problems. While the nightime playing is annoying I'm worried about his chewing and that he will break his teeth. He's barely a year old. He was also bottle feed because he was found when he was 2 weeks along with his brother and sister, but they don't chew on everything.

I appreciate any help,
Mileigh
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Hunter, Sep 15 9:31 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.