Postings by Jack the GiantCat HumphreyRIP's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Kitten Corner > I\'m a new foster mom! Again!
Lilibet- Squeekietoy- Humphrey

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Tue May 12, '09 9:50pm PST 
Thanks, Quincy, I still have 'em! I think just writing all my concerns about the leetle ones helped because after that everything went swimmingly, of course! Kittens are such a joy! And it's so hard to just feed 'em and poop 'em and then hit the sack again in the middle of the night because they are so fun to just be with! So I'm a tad sleep-deprived but, oh, hey, what the heck! They're growing like weeds, of course. Thanks for the tip about the fact that they may be older. If they are 3-4 weeks I don't feel at all worried about feeding them every five hours and, next week, the glorious SIX! Their mother did a spectacular job with them as they all adjusted to me immediately. I always wash their faces, too, and brush and cuddle because there's just nothing worse than a kitten that hasn't been totally adjusted to us hooman beans! You're right about chewing on the bottle. I think it worried me because it's the smaller two who sometimes exhibit this. I'll try kitten mush next week. They had a tiny taste of baby food chicken on the end of a finger which some liked and some didn't. I will certainly keep them here because they have one "mommee," me and a quiet, stable situation here in a sunny room with a bird and everything! If one of the pet shop people or even the pet shop vet techs had them they would have to go to the shop in the am and home in the evening and it's just way too much rattling around for these little guys. A trip back to the vet in 2-1/2 weeks will be all the excitement they need, except for the excitement of growing up together. One did Halloween cat yesterday! They are older! They have big kitten wrestling scrums and they hide and peer out an one another. My dear friend the vet tech is taking the red boy (for free, of course) because one of her two old kitteez has liver problems and she doesn't want her other old boy to be alone. I'm so pleased!

Thank you so much for the reassuring words. I really needed them and they really helped!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lilibet Squeekietoy Humphrey, May 12 9:50 pm

Kitten Corner > I\'m a new foster mom! Again!

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Sat May 9, '09 9:17pm PST 
A friend of mine has a pet shop in town and a family brought in six little babies they discovered under a bush. Everyone worries around here because of raccoons, coyotes and foxes, so they brought these darlings to my friend. I asked to foster them because my very first foster with 2 or 3 day olds was such an enormous success. They were easy, they took to the bottle, everything went swimmingly (except that notorious lack of sleep). My mom was here with me then and even if all she did was to sleep next to the carrier in bed, it really helped a lot. Well, this group is just totally different. First of all, they're a bit older: between 2-3 weeks. Second of all, they don't like the bottles, since they had mommy for so long, I assume. there are two orange girls, one orange boy, two brown tabby boys and one brown tabby girl. They range in size from 12-16 oz (they saw the vet today). I cannot believe how much difficulty I am having with them. They are just so different. I marked their tiny toes with marker and I'm still getting confused! It's so hard to judge if they are full with the syringe versus the bottle. Do you think I should keep trying to orient them to the bottle? (Not at the expense of eating, of course.) I cannot tell you what an idiot I feel like because I cannot get a handle on this after the great success I had with the last three! (You can read about them in Lilibet's diary.) I think I'm going to go thru tonight and then see if someone else who is less stressed or is younger can take over. I do have someone in mind who is a vet tech and works with the pet shop. My mom is in a nursing home right now and I thought that caring for the wee ones would be some good stress instead of all the bad stress I'm under but I don't think it's working . I just cannot seem to think straight this time! And you know what else? These guys are used to chowing down all the time, which is why I'm having such a hard time measuring. They don't tell ME when they are full the way they do on a bottle. Frustrating! And of course I'm worried about the 12-ouncers because they are so minute. It's not as if they are sick or anything but I have never lost a kitten and I think I'm just scared. I also figured that by week two I could feed them every five hours but the store's vet says every four--and it takes nearly two hours to feed them at this point. It seems to me that when I fed the last group for four weeks it was it was four hours, five hours, five hours and six hours. They're in their carrier with their fabulous microwaveable heating disc, well-padded with soft terry towels and lined with a disposable bed pad and then the carrier is covered, so they're cosy. Maybe I just need reassurance that all kindles of infant kittens are different and these guys are throwing me for a loop. And I need to let someone else care for them. Thanks, everyone, so much!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lilibet Squeekietoy Humphrey, May 12 9:50 pm

Cat Health > Mommy needs ideas for getting me in the carrier

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Fri Apr 17, '09 3:09pm PST 
WOW! Bumpurr and kits, you have THE smartest mommee! Our mommee leaves the carriers out around the house and we cruise in and play in there an nap out in them so we don't totally freak when mommee insists that we get in there to go to see Auntie Dr. Val. Max used to moooaaaan when mommee took him to the vet! The rest of us just fuss a bit on the way there and of course are so happee on the way back we don't say "boo," just smile our secret kitty smiles cuz we're going home! But mommee is going to train us to get in those things when there is danger. One time we had to ALL go in the bathroom with mommee and Auntie Roo an the birdie-boo an a little battery-powered radio becuz there was a tornado watch. Or warning. Whatever the worser one is (mommee can NEVER remember)! We all sat around and wondered what we were doing in THERE! Together! Thank you Bumpurr's mommee for being so diligent at taking care of your little furzies!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Shelley, Apr 18 7:20 pm

Behavior & Training > Best way to re-introduce to the outdoors?

Billi Bi- Humphrey

"Got chicken!?"

Purred: Tue Apr 14, '09 8:52pm PST 
You have coyotes and puma out there, right? We have them, too, on the North Shore of Chicago, of all things! I'd be really concerned about letting your beauty outside. Of course, little Sylvester will do his best to make you feel extra special sorry for poor leetle him because he can't go out. If he has a place to lounge by an open screen in the sun he'll get all that good sunlight. Can you put up cat fencing in your back yard? Go to www.PurrfectFence.com and take a look. Can you enclose a balcony? There are all sorts of creative ideas around. (Of course, Sylvester will still try to convince you that the most creative thing you can do is to just let him OUT, but. . . .) We just bought some Purrfect Fence for our back yard because, among other scary things like cars and coyotes and puma, we also have a nutcase down the alley who traps cats (long story~~he got an Illinois trapping license~~the authorities know and there's nothing THEY can do!) and releases them miles away. If you've ever lost a cat, there's nothing worse because you just don't know what has happened. It looks like he is getting along with his dog, which is just super. He can be leash~trained and you can walk them both at the same time. Just be sure to get a good kitty harness and not a figure~eight one: kitties can get out of those. Kitties don't exactly walk along like dogs but my guess is he will follow what the dog does if they are really good little friends. (The first time I took Mamie outside on her little leash actually I took along a book because it took 45 minutes for her just to walk around the house~~and it was a small house~~they stop to investigate EVERYTHING! She stuck her little arm down every little chipmunk~hole~~all the way up to her little shoulder! So funny! But after a while they are very good little walkers and they make quite an impression on the neighbors.) So, tell your little darling, and he really is beautiful, that it isn't all that bad to be safe from the outside world.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Matty, Apr 16 1:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > He loved it and now he won't touch it

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Mon Feb 16, '09 8:56pm PST 
When our leetle brudders were leetler, they looooved their raw food (they still do)~~they were little slavering beasties when they ate~~so funny! Little Brat is covering up his food to keep it away from the wild animals so he can have it later! We get raw (already made into little patties), canned (no by-products!) an' kibble, too (the highest protein mom can find) an' we are happy campers!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rumble, Feb 17 10:18 am

Grooming > What is the best brand of cat litter?

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Sun Feb 15, '09 10:44pm PST 
Mommy used to use World's Best which we all loved (mommy, too~~it really IS the world's best!) but since there are now seven of us, with diesel prices being the way they are it became extremely expensive. Plus our mom has a bad back just like her grammy. An' all that World's Best was really heavy, but only if you have a bad back. So, mommy bought us two Cat Genies and we love 'em! One's in the basement bathroom an' one's upstairs crammed into the master bath. If you follow the directions about acclimating the kitties to it (s0 they don't totally freak out when they hear it cleaning and drying) it's just great~~and true to form, the little darlings soon become fascinated and sit in front of the Cat Genie as if it's the washing machine~~so amusing! It seems extremely complicated at first~~in fact mommy installed the first one upstairs~~in about four hours~~and our plumber Phil (we loooove him! He likes kitties!) installed the other one downstairs in about 20 minutes!!! (That's why he's the plumber an' mommy isn't!) And then he an' mommy watched it WORK! (Silly human peoples!) Cat Genies are so automatic that mommy doesn't even have to THINK about it! They're WONDERFUL! An' no kitty litter smell EVER! The one in the upstairs bath has a cover and the one in the basement doesn't so we kitties can choose.

You can try it out for 90 days, too.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lilibet Squeekietoy Humphrey, Feb 15 10:44 pm

Kitten Corner > How to get kitten on dry food from wet?

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 9:44pm PST 
Tina, here's what all of our kitties do: they get a meal of wet food twice a day and they also have a bowl or two of dry food (and fresh water, of course) around the house for snacking. That way they get both high-protein canned food and dry food so there is always something to munch on, because kitties eat just a little bit every so often all day and also all night long, unlike those big chow-hounds, doggies. Wellness is excellent food, too. You also want to feed your little darling a very high-quality dry food like Evo. The higher the protein level the better. Also, you may want to research raw food, which many cats just adore--because cats are obligate carnivores and should eat about 95% animal protein. One meal could be canned Wellness, snackies could be a high quality dry and the evening meal could be raw. That's what my little darlings get. Oh! And I'm ONE of those little darlings! xxxooo, Lilibet
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Gracie, Feb 8 10:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > Hazel's Household Hints

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Wed Aug 29, '07 7:08pm PST 
Oh, excellent suggestion, Hazel! As the resident "mommycat" here I will tell our big human mommy to do just that. WE like to nibble, too--although when we first got raw several months ago we just went bananas with glee when mommy fed us that great raw stuff (right now it's Nature's Variety Organic Chicken--num, num)!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lilibet Squeekietoy Humphrey, Aug 29 7:08 pm

Laws & Legislation > Police officer leaves his K-9 in car to die. No charges brought.

Jack the- GiantCat- HumphreyRIP

"I am the Giant- Cat!"

Purred: Sun Aug 19, '07 12:56am PST 
What's THAT guy's problem? Is he an alcoholic? Is he on drugs?
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Crash, Sep 6 9:04 pm

Kitten Corner > Hand Rearing Feral Litter

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '07 12:20am PST 
Just be sure and keep them warm warm warm and cozy!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Batgrrl, Jun 7 11:11 pm

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.