Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Possibly looking for lap cat.
Mordecai- Sabestain

I\'m a tough guy- - shh no I am not

Purred: Sun Oct 6, '13 6:38pm PST 
Long story short, my Mom's cat recently passed away and I am just browsing around seeing if I find the perfect cat for her. She has a lot of health problems and her old cat Tiger would lay with her when her problems acted up. So I am trying to find a cat that she can love and it will love her back. We usually like to take in rescues or pets that are hard to adopt out like seniors or some special needs, depending on what the need is. I live near Detroit Michigan. Willing to travel up to four hours possibly.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 6 6:38 pm

Catster Railroad > Did You Know There Are Too Many Kittens Down South and Not Enough Up North?
Mordecai- Sabestain

Purred: Fri Oct 4, '13 10:05am PST 
I have friends all over the US and I am always hearing about the kitty over population problems! Reality is, there is to many of them every where. I would like to know where these statistics are from and the sample size etc.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 12:14 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > In loving memory of Tiger.

Tiger - In Loving- Memory

Where's the- food?

Purred: Fri Oct 4, '13 9:44am PST 
It started out as a normal day about 16 years ago, until my Mom got a phone call from her friend. She was in desperate need of rehoming two little kittens. She had found them one cold, snowy, night on the side of the road. Barely cleaning on to life. She could no longer keep these two kittens because she had found out her daughter was deathly allergic to cats.

The phone rang, my mom picked up, I only a child at the time. Her friend had told her everything! Even that if a friend couldn't take them that day, they would be taken to the pound! What a scary thought of two little babies barely alive going there. So, through much convincing and pleading my mom convinced my dad to bring these two beautiful babies home.

On the day we went to get them, my mom sexed them. Giving me the 'girl' and my brother the 'boy'. My cat's name was Peppermint and my brother's cat named Tiger. Well, some time later I had realized Peppermint did not at all look like a girl! Tiger in fact was the girl, and Peppermint was the boy. Some where along the way my brother and I had confused our kitties with.

About five years later, my cat, Peppermint, had gone over yonder to Heaven. He had fought a brutle battle with brain cancer and lost. Tiger had wondered around many a days searching for her brother. Crying and crying. After some time all our wounds had healed from losing the precious baby boy.

Tiger was always lovable. She had always wanted to be picked up and pet. Even as a little kitten. She was always a bit chunky too. She was even slightly bigger than her fellow starving brother before they had been rescued from the terrors of the night.

Through time my brother had bounded more with another of our cats who's also gone over yonder to heaven, Kortney. So, he had taken on Kortney and Tiger became the family cat. Not to say he didn't love her every bit as much. But it was clear Matthew was Kortney's and no one else! Through time my mom's health has declined. She was first diagnosed with asthma. Then about 5 years after that my mom and I were in an accident with a drunk driver and she was diagnosed with seizures and fibromyalgia. This same care accident had broken her arm and permanently injured her shoulder. Somewhere a long the way she had slipped and fell. From this fall she had injured a disc in her back. A couple years later diabetes.

Tiger had grown more and more attached to mom as more had been discovered. She would lay with mom the long and tiring nights of not breathing. She would come to her side when a seizure would come. She stayed close but made sure not to hurt mom when her fibromyalgia acted up. Tiger was my mom's therapy cat. But she wasn't trained, she just knew what to do! Amazing little kitty she was!

Back in March, this chubby godsend girl had stopped eating. We took her to the vet, and he put her on steroids to encourage her to eat. I knew something was wrong. This wasn't like my little chubby cat to just not eat. She was on them for about a week and she was right back to eating and gained some of her weight back to. Near the beginning of July she stopped eating again. Now I was really worried for her.

The vet did the same thing again. It worked for about a week and we were back to not eating again. My mom did some research and found a website the suggested syringe feeding. We started that up and minus the syringe feeding she was a happy girl, maintaining weight. This went until mid August. Tiger had taken a turn for the worst and started hiding. I had gone on vacation for a week and came back. Tiger had drastically lost weight. We tried all we could, we had gotten every test the vets recommended. Gotten second and third opinions of what was wrong. The third opinion got her eating again on her own for a few more days. A couple weeks later we were told she will only make it through the weekend.

We fed her everyday five times a day until September 27. We tried feeding her but she choked on it. So we said just wait until the morning. She had developed a cold so we assumed maybe she just needed to rest. But she couldn't hold herself up. I have seen enough cats dying to know what was going on. But she had snapped out of it and got up and walked to the water bowl and took what was her final sips.

Now it was my Mom's turn to be there for Tiger. As she had been all long, but now more than ever. Secretly my Mom and I were terrified! So, my Mom held her through the night and had fallen asleep. I got up for work, September 28, 7AM, went up front to see if she was doing better. Tiger laid there limp on my mom's chest, she picked her head up and looked around. I suggested to wait to feed her until later. My Mom agreed and said maybe some water will do her good. I went and put just a tiny bit in the syringe. I came back and Tiger was coughing. So we held off. Within 15 minutes of me waking up Tiger had peacefully passed on over yonder to heaven.

To the best kitty in the world! We will never forget what you did for us, especially for mom, Tiger. I just hope and pray that we loved you and cared for you just the same! A kitty that will NEVER be forgotten.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 11 2:36 pm

Cat Health > Cat with possible GI track cancer.

Where's the- food?

Purred: Tue Sep 3, '13 9:18pm PST 
Back in march or may, I forget which one. My lovely Tiger stopped eating. We took her to the vet they did a blood panel and called it Kidney disease. I wasn't happy with the diagnoses as the panel didn't come up with anything. But after a few weeks of antibiotics and steroids she was eating and moving around just as well as being.
Early August she stopped eating again, so I took her back in to the vet. They said it was the same thing, did the same thing. But that time she didn't get any better. They said there was nothing else they could do. (Which for the record I think was a load of bull) So I looked up some info on the internet and started sarringe feeding her for a week or so. She started eating very little on her own. I went on vacation and left her with my parents (who live in the same house). While I was gone she went back down hill. I figured perhaps she just was stressed I was gone and gave it a few days.
After giving it a few days she didn't get better but went down further fast so I ended up taking her to an animal ER. Well, a lot of testing and thousands of dollars later we find out she may have cancer in her GI track. (we'll get a more definitive answer tomorrow) But the route they are saying to treat it is so expensive. I would do it in a heart beat if I had the funds, I love my little Tiger to pieces. Does anyone have any information on this?
I know she's old, but I don't want to give up. She's an awesome little cat. She loves everyone she comes in contact with. Been great with every dog, cat, and human she's ever encounter in the 15 years we've had her. If you want to pick her up and hold her she would let you at any time! Before her illness.

The only thing looking up right now is that she is eating, some. A fair amount really compared to what she's been eating. But I'm afraid it's just because of all the meds she's on.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 5 3:03 pm

Raw Food Diet > Supplements and raw food diet

Mordecai- Sabestain

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 6:07pm PST 
Hello,

I am searching for a balanced diet for my little kitten, Abendigo, who does not yet have his own page set up. I've been searching through the different "balanced" recipes (I put it that way because I'm just starting out and don't assume everything I read on the internet is correct) and all of them require supplements, that I have read anyways. I just thought if it were truly a balanced diet they may not need supplements? Am I just looking in the wrong place? Is there a reason for adding the supplements? Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to get him on the diet hopefully by next week if I can do enough research in time! Because he sure is growing up fast and I think it's probably the sooner the better! I heard someone say something about frankenprey once. But I don't really know much about that beyond the percentages. Is this a good diet? How do I know which meats, bones, and other stuff to feed them?

Thanks in advanced for your help.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 6:28 am

Kitten Corner > How were you named?
Mordecai- Sabestain

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 4:29am PST 
Tiger - My brother and I were very little, so I have no idea! Maybe we liked tigers?:=D

Peppermint - I looooved eating anything peppermint and was also very little (Tiger's brother), so I named him Peppermint.

Mordecai - Started out as chewbaka, but it just wasn't fitting for such a sissy boy. Turned to names in the Bible and Mordecai was right fitting.

Ryelee - My brother came up with it

Galaxy - When this little girl crawled up to my porch I was star gazing and it seemed fitting for the beautiful girl.

Bella - Came with the name.

Abendigo - Another Bible name, plus it was different!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 4:29 am

Raw Food Diet > New kitten want to try raw food diet!

Mordecai- Sabestain

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 4:22am PST 
I saw that off of catinfo.org that the recipe called for grinding most of it up. Are they all like this? Are there alternatives to grinding it up?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 4:44 am

Cat Health > Abendigo and a bad case of diarrhea

Mordecai- Sabestain

Purred: Sun Jul 7, '13 7:06pm PST 
I recently became the guardian of a kitten, roughly 8 weeks old who has a bad case of diarrhea. The vet said this is because of the worms he had/has. And put him on a de-wormer a long with an anti-biotic type thing and revolution. Does this seem about right?

Also, he isn't cleaning himself and getting poo all over his back area and tail to the point he is pretty raw. Any suggestions? I try to keep him wiped down the best I can.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 10:19 am

Food & Nutrition > Help for first-time cat owner - feeding?

Where's the- food?

Purred: Sun Jul 7, '13 7:02pm PST 
I have heard(from my vet) that feeding wet food only can lead to gum diseases and other such problems. People say dry is bad for your cats, which I agree it probably is which is why I'm looking into switching to raw. Although this can be time consuming and requires much research I truly believer it's probably is what's best for a cat. But anyways, I have a cat who is 16 and hates wet food so she has never been on wet. She is 16 and still kicking pretty good for an old girl. If you're going for commercial food I suggest doing a mixture of both wet and dry. Even if it's just a few kibbles mixed in. Why? I know this is different but I work at a kennel and all the dogs who are on wet only seem to have way worse teeth than those who are on a mixture or even dry.

I've always wanted to do that and that's what they eat in the wild, which only seems natural. I know people who have done it and their pets are super healthy, good looking teeth, and a great coat. Just need to do your research first!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 10 10:39 am

Kitten Corner > Abendigo
Mordecai- Sabestain

Purred: Sun Jul 7, '13 6:51pm PST 
Hello! It's been a long time since I've had a true kitten (my last few were 7+ months). So I'm mostly jut asking for any kitten advice! I know basic kitty things as my tribe consists of 5 others. Also, he has a really bad diarrhea issue. The vet says it's because he was loaded with worms and put him on a de-wormer, does this sound right? My regular vet had a four day weekend for the fourth so he had to go see a random vet. I don't trust "random" vets because I don't know them. :=)

Long story short on this little guy is that I went in for an interview July 5 and a kitten was found and I took him home. The next day I took him to see a vet and they bathed the dirty little guy and said he had worms and fleas, and that he is malnourished.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 6:51 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.