Postings by Althea, PAWS's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 63: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > What are the least expensive brands of grain-free cat food (both canned and dry)?
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Sep 18, '14 5:14pm PST 
Visit chewy.com; they carry many, many brands, and for each brand, they give the info on ingredients. There are also consumer reviews, which can prove helpful. It will be extremely easy to compare prices for the different foods. Shipping is free for $49 or more; I placed an order last night and it arrived already! I've found Dave's to be good and much less expensive than the big-name stuff. Look it up - and good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Thu 5:14 pm

Get Well Soon > Vet Bills
Morganna

Mighty Huntress

Purred: Sat Sep 13, '14 3:58pm PST 
I tried posting in your other thread, but it didn't post for some reason. I tried to visit the page, but the message came up "Page Not Found." cry
[notify]

» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Morganna, Sep 13 3:58 pm

Cat Health > Vet Bills

Morganna

Mighty Huntress

Purred: Sat Sep 13, '14 3:54pm PST 
We tried to go there, but it said "age Not Found. cry
[notify]

» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Morganna, Sep 13 3:54 pm

Cat Health > How to get our kitty to play?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Wed Sep 3, '14 10:27pm PST 
Oh, gee, this has got to be so sad for you! I can't offer much, but I can tell you that Mordred, whom I adopted as a kitten, never played very much. What kind of canned food are you feeding? I used to feed just dry, but then I read about different kinds of food. Several years ago, I switched to a grain-free dry food (Taste of the Wild), and noticed that Mordred seemed more active. So that's a thought - try to feed grain-free. If the current food has grain (which are carbs) that could explain the weight gain - and the weight gain itself could be a cause of less activity. After all, it's harder to move more mass around!

If you go the grain-free way, do be patient; it really takes weeks and weeks - maybe a couple of months or more - for the difference to show.

If you're already feeding grain-free, then I have no idea what to suggest. I do wish you the best of luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Sep 3 10:27 pm

Cat Health > Thoughts on pet insurance?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Sat Aug 23, '14 9:53pm PST 
You are very wise and prudent to be looking into medical insurance! Just be aware that it will cost you more to insure a 7-year-old than a kitten. Does it help? For me, it certainly did. When Mordred, at age 9, was diagnosed with a heart murmur by his new vet ( which his old one had missed altogether), I took Mordred to a cardiologist for an ultrasound. The cost was more than $500, but Mordred's insurance paid more than half. (I apologize I don't remember the exact figures.) Mordred is an indoor cat, 18 pounds, on good food and with no previous medical issues - which just goes to show that anything can show up at any time. I used to have VPI, but didn't like their system; I now have Pet Plan and have been satisfied. Just watch: they say they'll insure a cat (or dog) with a pre-existing condition - and they do - but they won't pay anything toward a recurrence of that condition.

Bottom line: I wouldn't be without it. Veterinary medicine is evolving quickly, but that evolution comes with a higher price tag - which is only fair. I decided on insurance after I'd read on a pet-loss site several people who had no choice but to euthanize a beloved furchild because the people simply did not have the money needed for an expensive surgery or treatment. I never want to be among them, so - insurance.

Google "pet insurance" - you'll find many, many choices, so do your homework, considering your needs and budget. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, Aug 23 9:53 pm

Cat Health > Kitty may have cancer-very scared
Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '14 11:11am PST 
Mindy, we can't add much to what the others have said. Mom's been through this with several furchilren, and it is unbearably difficult and painful. Mom sometimes looks at us and almost hopes she leaves first - but then, that would leave us behind, and she couldn't be happy with that.

Listen to your heart and to your regular vet; like the others, I wouldn't go back to the person who treated her so roughly. She's sick, and she needs gentle care. If your vet thinks steroids would help, by all means, try that. You need time to adjust. I can tell you from personal experience: Willy Wonka had acute kidney failure, and I knew he'd be leaving. I nursed him and nursed him, watched over him, agonized over him - it reached the point that, although I certainly did NOT want him to go, I just wanted this to be over with! It was too difficult to watch him slide downhill; the emotional toll was heavy.

Listen to your heart, and have faith in Mindy's Creator; He, after all, is the One who lent her to you, and He's trying to help you prepare for taking her Home. REMEMBER, though, that you, too, will go Home when the time is right, and you and Mindy will be reunited forever - no more parting, ever! In the meantime, she'll be gloriously alive, perfectly healthy, and blissfully happy waiting for you.

May Mindy's Creator bless you with the faith, the strength, the courage, and the wisdom you will need, and then may He bless you with peace of heart.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mindy, Jul 7 1:21 am

Cat Health > Pyothorax - what do you think?

My Sweet- Lady- (Rainbow- Bridge)

My bestest- companion

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 8:08am PST 
Well, I had to look up what pyothorax is, as My Sweet Lady had something called CHYLOthorax: the chyle that usually circulates in the lymph system was leaking into her chest cavity. Her doctor, who has been in practice for a long time, said it's the only case he's ever seen. Although the fluid is different, the symptoms seem to the same: distressed respiration.

Because My Sweet Lady didn't have an infection, antibiotics would have been useless; the only treatment was rutin - and that worked for a while. Her breathing definitely improved - until it suddenly got worse again. I had her to her doctor on a Wednesday; he didn't want to tap her chest because, although her breathing was somewhat worse than it had been recently, she was bright, alert, and active. As he explained: every time he put a needle into her chest, he'd be creating scar tissue. So I brought her home. On Saturday morning, I awoke to find her body in the bedroom doorway; it was as if she'd started to walk out of the room and just walked out of her body.

You did the right thing - you were given no choice. Know that your beloved kidden is now gloriously alive and perfectly healthy, waiting at Rainbow Bridge for you.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by My Sweet Lady (Rainbow Bridge), Jun 3 8:08 am

Cat Health > Cat diagnosed congestive heart failure 5 days ago

My Sweet- Lady- (Rainbow- Bridge)

My bestest- companion

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 7:59am PST 
I don't come here much, Richard, but when I read your first post, I was in tears for the pain and anxiety you were suffering. How refreshing to read that Gizmo is now doing so well - and should continue. cheer
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 10:05 am

Behavior & Training > Older Cat Peeing Everywhere for no Reason?

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Sun May 4, '14 6:50am PST 
I agree with Stella; what you describe sounds more like "spraying" than urinating, so it could be a territorial thing. In addition to Stella's good suggestions, you might try a pheromone diffuser; it helps to keep the cat calm.

I know what a frustrating problem this is, and I wish you all the luck in the world in solving it.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mordred,PAWS, May 4 6:50 am

Senior Cats > My sweet baby passed away... I never got to say goodbye
Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Mon Apr 28, '14 6:02pm PST 
Sometimes, they prefer to make their transitions by themselves; why, no one knows. Many, many years ago, I had a dog who had cancer; in those days, there was no treatment. He disappeared one day, and I called his doctor, who told me that Spanky had probably gone off to die on his own. We live in a rural area, and the places he could go seemed limitless, but I took our other dog, Duchess - who found Spanky in a cornfield about a quarter mile from home. I had to carry him home.

This is impossibly hard on you; the not-knowing is agony. Skye has done what is best for her; she probably didn't realize how very painful it would be for you. If she's made her trasition, which seems likely, then all is well with her; try to think of her that way: gloriously alive and blissfully happy, waiting at the Bridge for you. I hope that Skye's Creator will help you to find peace.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Stella, Apr 28 8:27 pm

(Page 1 of 63: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.