Postings by Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > Newborn Kittens' Nails Turning Black!
Frisco

Feral Frisco!

Purred: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:33pm PST 
My Sassy and Junior both had black nails, I did not see them as newborns though. Frisco has some black nails and some white nails but again I first met him when he was 6 weeks old.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Frisco, Sep 26 6:33 pm

Cat Health > Need Advice Urgently re: Cats stressed over newly introduced foster kittens
Larry

Cant get me down

Purred: Sat Sep 22, '12 8:32am PST 
Is there any way the kittens could stay in the master bathroom, so your cats could have the master bedroom and more space. Also, the rescues you contacted....contact them again and ask about courtesy posting on their website, this will help them get exposure to people looking for cats/kittens.

Good Luck
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Sep 25 6:41 am

Cat Health > Shots for Indoor Cats

Sasafrace- *Rest in- Peace*

Forever and- Always in my- heart

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '12 5:33am PST 
If you get the rabies I beg you to get the 1 yr purvax rabies!! I have seen cats with vaccine sarcomas and it is horrible to look at and very painful for the cat and likely could have been prevented by them not getting the 3 yr rabies vax. I work at a feline only vet hospital (no dogs or other animals allowed!) and I have seen many cats who had to have surgery due to the vaccine sarcomas..it is much safer to go with the 1 yr purvax rabies than the 3 yr vaccine for cats

Personally, I get my cats the kitten shots and the 1 yr boosters (not given at the same time, i leave at least 2 weeks between vaccines) then I dont get them any more shots. Larry is the only exception, I get him his rabies (1 yr purvax) when we are going away (not that often, maybe once every 3 or 4 yrs)...i have a cat sitter but Larry is a little crazy and will bite so I like to have a current rabies for him just in case he decides to go off on my poor cat sitter.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Toast, Sep 17 10:14 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Young stray found

Frisco

Feral Frisco!

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 12:28pm PST 
If he is social and you think that he would do fine in a home. Contact the rescues and shelters again, if they are full ask them if they will courtesy post him for you. That's where the animal appears on the shelter/rescues website but the shelter/rescue does not take any responsibility for the animal, they will put your contact info down with the listing and people who are interested in him will be instructed to contact you and that the shelter/rescue has nothing to do with the adoption, medical bills, etc.

If you have the funds, I would try and take him to the vets to get medical attention, neutered, FIV/FeLuk test. Keep him separate from your other animals at least until he's medically clear. If you are worried about him being with your other cats then keep him confined away from your other animals but beware that he will need more play as he will be going from having the whole world to roam to having a room and excess energy can be harmful to your furniture/carpet/walls/etc.

I have fostered cats and some dogs for years. Cats coming from outside tend to be a little crazy the first week or two that they are brought inside, then they tend to calm down. They require a good amount of play and attention as they need to get used to people coming in to say hi and they need to realize that being inside is a great thing.

Even if you cannot bring him inside I would try and take him to a vet and get him neutered so that you dont have kittens in the future.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Frisco, Sep 11 12:28 pm

Cat Health > Tough choice and need opinions

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '12 12:18pm PST 
I had this debate when Sassy was diagnosed with diabetes. He was 16 when diagnosed and I could help but thinking would he be happy if/when the diabetes was regulated. He was diagnosed in December and we started him on the insulin (he started with 2 units of insulin twice a day) shots, I have to say that Sassy who would not let me do anything except shave him was fine with the insulin shots so long as he was eating while I gave them. The needle is VERY small and it did not bother him at all. I would give him some wet food and after he started eating I would quickly give him the shot. I was willing to do anything to save him but by April he was up to 5 units of insulin twice a day (a VERY large dose for a cat) and was extremely underweight (weight loss is a symptom of diabetes). He would no longer purr and had separated himself from the rest of the family, I decided to have him put down. It was the hardest decision I have ever made, especially since Sassy had been with me since I was 4 years old, I cant even remember not having him in my life. I'm not saying that I don't love my other cats just as much but Sassy was my baby and he had always been with me..we got him right after my dad died so he was very special to me. I hated having to put him down but I knew in my heart that he was not happy and I could not see him being miserable just because I did not want to let him go, it would be selfish.

I would try the insulin and see how she reacts, try making it a positive experience like I did with Sassy, give your kitty wet food or a special treat that will keep her busy while you give the shot. If she responds well to the insulin then all is well and she may live for a long while. If, like Sassy, she does not respond well to the insulin then you know that you did everything that you could to save her.

The insulin for Sassy was not that expensive, it was $80 for a vial which lasted for 2 and a half months on Sassy's dosage...the vials although they look small last a very long time based on your cats dosage. Also for the needles, ask your vet what gauge insulin syringe they want you to use and you can get them a Walmart for cheap, I think its like 100 syringes for %10.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ~Avail~ 02/14/00 - 09/17/13, Aug 31 2:32 pm

Cat Health > Feral kittens found abandoned...question about feral mama kitty...
Frisco

Feral Frisco!

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '12 9:49pm PST 
The bag idea is a great one!! Lots of cats can escape through dog crates, they are able to really squeeze their body's and twist to get out through any little opening. If your mom decides to try and grab her be very careful, cat bites and scratches can get infected VERY easily and tend to cause more damage than most dog bites as cats are very good at hitting nerves. I would suggest using a top loading carrier as its easier for us to get them in as you can scruff them and set them on the bottom and hold the scruff until the very last second (i close the top as much as possible and have a friend standing by to slam it closed and lock it once I get my arm out). With front loader its a little harder to close the door without them bolting out.

Good Luck with her and the babies..
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Frisco, Aug 26 9:49 pm

Cat Health > Feral kittens found abandoned...question about feral mama kitty...

Frisco

Feral Frisco!

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 6:14am PST 
Its so sad to hear about what Honey is going through but it is wonderful that you are trying your best to help her and the other cats in your area. I don't think its possible for kittens to be born that close to each other from the same mother however it is very possible that Honey adopted them if the mother died or abandoned them. That would also make sense why she ignored them all day, she wants to take care of them but her personal kittens are a higher priority in her mind.

As for poor honey, I have also had the experience of having a cat that could get in and out of traps without setting them off, I actually watched the female feral that lives in my neighbors yard under her porch (we both feed her) go into the trap, take the can of food out, and walk away with the can...she never set the trap off!! It was so frustrating!!

Then I started getting creative and my friend gave me some ideas...first, we stopped using canned food and instead used a chicken leg tied to the far end of the trap, this way she could not get it out of the trap. Then we put a smaller piece of chicken hanging from the top of the trap just in front of the trigger plate, this way she would try to grab the chicken and pull it down, falling on the trigger plate and setting off the trap. Using these two methods together we got her after just one night!! Maybe this would work with Honey...
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Frisco, Aug 26 9:49 pm

Cat Health > Vomiting...HELP

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:35pm PST 
Thanks so much, I sent Alex's website to Tina's foster mom who is in the process of changing her food over based on the info on the site and we got her an elevated food bowl. She is such a great kitty that once this is under control Im sure we will be able to find her a home, hopefully with a vet or a vet tech...Ive already mentioned her to some people who I know that work at different vets in the area.

I will let her foster know to contact Alex's mom for any help. Thanks so much, you guys are the best!!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*, Aug 24 6:35 pm

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 3:34pm PST 
Thanks for the help everybody! I will get this info to Tina's foster mom asap
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*, Aug 24 6:35 pm

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 2:35am PST 
My friend is fostering a cat who has been returned to the rescue 4 times due to her vomiting. She is a DSH buff spayed female between 4 and 6 years old. The cat, Tina, is very sweet but she randomly vomits her food. Patina does not eat fast, it usually takes her about 4 hours to eat her breakfast and all night to finish her dinner. They have had her on multiple foods, all with different proteins and formulas. She is slightly overweight but nothing compared to most cats (including mine), the vet said if Tina lost about 1.5 lbs she would be a perfect weight.

The rescue has had a CBC done on her and had abdominal x-rays done....everything came back normal and there was nothing wrong in the x-rays. The vet said that he thinks it might be Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), he said the only way to confirm is to do an biopsy of the intestines, obtaining biopsies involves anesthesia and either surgery or endoscopy. The rescue does not have the money to do this right now and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on other things the rescue should test for...The vet put her on an anti-inflammatory as that is one of the meds he would use if she was confirmed to have IBD.

The rescue is no-kill so there is no risk of anything happening to Tina, she will just stay in her foster home until she gets adopted. I just really love this cat and want her to have a home of her own, as her foster always has cats going in and out of her home and Tina is confined to a single room so she cannot catch anything from new rescues. The foster keeps pairing her up with new cats after they have been in rescue for awhile (so they know they are healthy) so right now Tina has the company of a 5 week old blind kitten. But when her friends get adopted, she is left behind and I feel so bad for her...I would adopt her but she is scared of dogs and with 6 dogs of my own it would not be fair to her.

Does anyone have any thing that they could ask the vet to test for or meds they could try to get the vomiting to be less frequent? Also, does anyone have tips on dealing with this issue that could be given to the foster and/or potential adopters??

Thanks
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*, Aug 24 6:35 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.