Postings by Hyde's Family

GO!

Behavior & Training > Fraidy cats

Hyde

Purred: Wed Aug 24, '05 7:17am PST 
Thanks everyone for your advice. We tried the "pick him up and force him to get used to cuddles"method and it worked better than we could have hoped. He's now the most affectionate one of the two and has completely come out of his shell. Now, if only we could get all three cats to get along...
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hyde, Aug 24 7:17 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Fraidy cats
Hyde

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '05 7:37am PST 
Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for that. Last night I had some success with Hyde, I actually got him to sit on my lap and be cuddled and afterwards he came up to me and nudged my hand of his own accord - he's the first one to do that. It's all progress.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hyde, Aug 20 7:37 am

Behavior & Training > Fraidy cats

Hyde

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '05 8:43pm PST 
I've recently taken in two 7 month-old kittens. I'm starting to think that they haven't had much human contact before now (the house they came from had one person who worked full time and 3 other cats). They spend all day hiding from me and they kick up a fuss if I try to pick them up. One is coming along, but still hides. The other won't even let me near him. I also have a 7 year old that I've had for years, and she hisses whenever she sees either of them.

Has anyone had any experience with cats like this? I've had them for over a week now, is it too early to be really worried? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Hyde, Aug 24 7:17 am

Hyde

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '05 8:36pm PST 
I've recently taken in two 7 month-old kittens. I'm starting to think that they haven't had much human contact before now (the house they came from had one person who worked full time and 3 other cats). They spend all day hiding from me and they kick up a fuss if I try to pick them up. One is coming along, but still hides. The other won't even let me near him. I also have a 7 year old that I've had for years, and she hisses whenever she sees either of them.

Has anyone had any experience with cats like this? I've had them for over a week now, is it too early to be really worried? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Hyde, Aug 20 7:37 am

Hyde

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '05 8:36pm PST 

[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hyde, Aug 19 8:36 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > How to adopt a mommy if you're homeless
Spirit

Hey, I need that- book for- sleeping on!

Purred: Fri May 6, '05 11:59am PST 
I used a completely different tactic that focused on my two strengths: my soft fur, and my unfailing dignity.

When my Mommy came to the pound to look at cats, I didn't meow and rub the bars and make a fool of myself like all the other cats. Instead I sat very quietly in my cage until she came my way. Then I sat up by the bars so that she could feel my soft fur and see how calm and dignified I could be. I knew she was mine. (Of course, it helps that I'm telepathic) =^_-=
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jet, May 18 10:09 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.