Postings by Plato's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > cat food question
Socrates

I'm not spoiled.- I'm not! I'm- not!

Purred: Sat Sep 10, '05 3:55am PST 
Good foods include Blue Buffalo (I didn't like it because it didn't sit well with me, but it is a high quality food), Innova, Old Mother Hubbard "Wellness," California Natural, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Felidae, and of course, Natural Balance (which is what we eat). Good food has the following characteristics:

1. High quality protein as the first ingredient (i.e. beef, chicken, duck, lamb, fish).

2. No corn in any way, shape or form. It's an allergen.

3. No "byproducts" (beaks, feet, hooves, etc.). This is very low quality protein.

4. Healthy carbohydrate sources (like potato, apples, carrots)

5. A high-fiber grain, and listed as the third or lower ingredient (i.e. "brown rice").

6. Taurine.

7. Human-grade foods (meat, vegetables, etc.), rather than byproducts, bad meat, etc.

If your food does not meet these standards, it's not good. And just because the vet recommends something it doesn't mean it's the best... vets only take one nutrition class in vet school and it's sponsored by none other than Science Diet (so the vets will recommend their products).

Here's a comparison of ingredients (top 10 listed)

Natural Balance:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, Vitamin E) Canola Oil, Oatmeal, Fish Meal

Felidae:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Rosemary Extract), Menhaden Fish Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil

Iams Original Formula:
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Sodium Bisulfate

Science Diet Chicken & Rice formula
Chicken, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Iodized Salt,

Nutro Max Cat Adult Roasted Chicken
Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavors, Lamb Meal, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride,

Meow Mix Seafood Medley
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal,beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), brewers rice, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, calcium chloride, phosphoric acid

There it is. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 30 3:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > Diet..
Plato

I eat, - therefore I am.

Purred: Sat Sep 10, '05 3:27am PST 
Just feed 3/4 to 1 cup a day of a filler-free food. Don't free-feed, and don't give treats.

Both of us eat Natural Balance. It's a great food, and we're happy, healthy cats.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Moo Cow, Oct 22 7:32 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > Any other skinny runts here?

Socrates

Purred: Sat Sep 10, '05 3:25am PST 
I've gone through a growth spurt, and now weigh in at 7.2 lbs. I'm also longer and taller than I was. My brother Plato is twice my size at 14 lbs.

Guess I'm not a runt anymore!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Naomi, Sep 10 4:19 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > Big is Best

Plato

I eat, - therefore I am.

Purred: Wed Aug 24, '05 9:40am PST 
There's a difference between "big" and "obese." Some of us are simply large cats that are built that way.

I was chubby when mom and dad got me but they got me to lose weight by feeding me less, and feeding me high-quality food (Natural Balance). That said, I'll always be a "big" cat... but you can feel my ribs when you pet my side, and I have a well-defined "waist" when you look at me from the top, so I'm not overweight. I'm just big. I tower over Socrates (look at the photos in my page), who is very thin.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lydia (In loving memory), Aug 25 7:47 pm

Cat Health > cat's and advil...pray for Congo

Plato

I eat, - therefore I am.

Purred: Tue Aug 23, '05 1:43am PST 
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. Hopefully it won't hurt him.
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Bryson, Oct 5 7:15 am

Other Meows & Purrs > Anyone else love playing with the computer?
Socrates

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '05 10:47pm PST 
No, it's warm when she's working on it (like on her bed). I also like to use the AC adapter, which gets hot, as a pillow.

I used to try to help my mom type, but she got mad a few times and said "no." I guess that means she doesn't want me to do it anymore, so I haven't.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Bram, Sep 1 1:09 am

Other Meows & Purrs > I just wanted to celebrate somewhere...

Plato

I eat, - therefore I am.

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '05 10:25pm PST 
Yay!!!!! *Happy dance*

Lots and lots of tongue baths being sent your way!
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Aug 27 4:12 pm

Cat Health > Gunk in my eye

Plato

I eat, - therefore I am.

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '05 8:32pm PST 
When mom and dad first got me, I got a LOT of dark gunk in my eyes too. The rescue lady gave them an ointment to put in my eyes. Every few hours I'd have these "eye boogers."

Interestingly enough, after a while, I stopped getting so much gunk, and when they switched my food, I got even less. I still get a little bit every now and then, but not nearly as much as I used to. I wonder if I was allergic to something, or if the different environment had something to do with it.

It sounds like something got into your eye though and caused an allergic reaction of some sort. Mommy gets like that when my hair gets in her eyes.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Oscar, Oct 15 11:14 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > happy birthday to me

Plato

I eat, - therefore I am.

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '05 12:24pm PST 
Happy birthday!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Honey (9/05/2005), Aug 23 7:53 am

Other Meows & Purrs > Are you named after a Celebrity? Post HERE if You Are!
Plato

I eat, - therefore I am.

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '05 11:35am PST 
I am named after the Greek philosopher Plato, who was a follower of Socrates and actually wrote down the things he taught. My mommy is a History teacher and was a History major and Classics minor in college, so she really loves ancient stuff!

Since they already had Socrates, they figured they had to have Plato. And they plan on getting a Basset Hound some day and naming him Aristotle.

Mommy is a nerd, for sure!
[notify]

» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by BRUCE (THE BOSS), Oct 4 1:43 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.