GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > hepatic lipidosis
Taki

King of the- house, darnit!

Purred: Sun Sep 24, '06 12:40am PST 
Parker,
I'm so glad you're doing well! I was so worried when you didn't post for several days. I've been checking this about twice a day hoping for word that you are doing well. I lost one myself a few years ago to the same thing and it scares me so much to think of anyone else going through it. I'm so, so glad you're doing better! Please keep us updated on your progress.

You have a long journey ahead, but you made it through the bad parts, and I'm so happy for you!
[notify]

» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Kyle, Oct 13 11:34 pm

Cat Health > Help! How old am I?
Taki

Purred: Sun Sep 17, '06 10:22pm PST 
Haha, I was about to say "she looks 4 months to me" when I saw you response. She's definitely tiny but her proportions are right for a four month old kitten.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kiki Neko, Sep 17 11:06 pm

Cat Health > Cosequin

Taki

Purred: Sun Sep 17, '06 10:20pm PST 
One quick question: Do they know what's causing the stiffness? Your age would indicate arthritis, but it could be hip dysplasia. If that's the case Prednisone (a basic steroid) may work better for you. One of my cats has been on Cosequin for a couple of years for a totally different problem and it's been a miracle drug to us, but since hers is bladder related and your's is joint pain I can't give you any help with when/how it might take effect (though Hina showed improvement within a couple days for her malady).

If you aren't totally certain it's arthritis you may want to look into hip dysplasia. Untreated it can get pretty bad but I've heard of many animals on Pred who did great and stopped showing signs. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gypsy, Sep 18 1:04 pm

Food & Nutrition > i only eat dry food should i bet eatting wet as well???

Taki

Purred: Mon Sep 11, '06 2:29pm PST 
All six of my cats are on dry only, with only occasional wetfood as a treat. They don't actually like wet food that much so between the six they may eat 1/2 can then just leave it for the dry stuff. One of them is also allergic to the preservatives in most wet food so I typically stay away from it, except for the real expensive types. The animal shelter I used to work with is pretty much "anti wet food", and again they only give it as a treat, or to kittens or malnourished cats who need the extra fat and moisture.

What you'll probably find is that it's all a matter of opinion. Many people prefer all or no wet or dry food, and there are health benefits and risks with all of that. I feel that it's up to you and your cat to decide. Whatever works for your kitty should be fine.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sammy, Sep 15 11:51 am

Cat Health > vet protocol

Yueliang

Beautiful Angel

Purred: Mon Sep 11, '06 2:16pm PST 
I'd call them and if they won't take you instantly, I'd call someone else. Don't let them put you off until another day/time, though. Fatty Liver is an incredibly serious disease. I lost my Yue to it. The vet mentioned a few treatments but when I asked what she would recommend she told me to just take her home and try getting her to eat something. She died in my arms three days later and it was only after that that I found out that a feeding tube could have saved her. Looking back it's really obvious that I should have been very aggressive about healing her, but I was so in shock about it and I didn't want to cause a stir. I've since switched vets to one that's smaller and thus can take us any time we call, and who'll reschedule basic appointments in order to deal with an emergency.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Arthur (Miss You! '93-'09), Sep 11 9:57 pm

Behavior & Training > How can mommy and I have a good relationship?
Taki

Purred: Tue Jul 25, '06 5:13pm PST 
While I agree that many of us felines may be a tad... standoffish... I suppose I should tell you some of the things my mommy did to get close to some of my "shier" housemates. She bribed them with treats (a lot) and played with them. That's basically it. That, and she talked to them a lot. She talks to me all the time, and most people who come over see me as very standoffish. I'm not, I'm just protecting my household, and unless mommy is giving me treats or playing with me, I'll only come to her right as she's waking up in the morning (I need my daily mommy snuggle!). Hina and Ayla are both pretty shy, but mommy used the "treat time, play time, and talk time" thing with them. She thinks it works because it associates her with something positive.

Most cats won't spend too long with you before going away. Chandran and Koko are exceptions, because they just don't leave mommy and daddy alone! Amar is reasonably affectionate (she'll come when called and stay however long you let her) but she came that way. I hope you and your kitty work this out real soon. Sometimes we just need you to take the initiative and show us how special you think we are.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Peyton La Purr, Aug 4 10:06 am

Food & Nutrition > What are your favorite treats?

Taki

Purred: Tue Jul 25, '06 5:06pm PST 
We love Aquari-Yums! The crunchy type, of course. Mommy got a free sample in our litter once and she let us have it and we looooved it! We're very picky about treats. Well, I am anyway, and what I won't eat, the rest of the house won't eat. Mommy finally got us to eat some Nutro cat treats, but we really don't like those that much. She's tried so many other types, natural ones and expensive ones and fancy schmancy ones, and it all comes down to Aquari-Yums! And only the fish shaped ones, too. Sometimes we'll eat the ones that look like seashells, but only if we must.
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Julius, Jul 31 10:15 am

Food & Nutrition > I have a drinking problem--anycat else like this?

Taki

Purred: Tue Jul 25, '06 5:01pm PST 
Hmm, none of us to exactly that over here, but all six of us do have some weird drinking habits anyway. I like to sit in front of my water bowl and stare at it for a loooooong time, usually while other cats want to drink. I'm kinda evil like that. I'm alpha, so they'll always wait for me. Hina sometimes drinks by scooping up water with her paws, Koko does that to, Chandran squishes into a tight little ball and drinks, Amar skittishly takes a sip, runs, comes back and drinks more, and Ayla... well, she doesn't like to be seen so I don't really know how she drinks! I think many kitties have little "drinking quirks".
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Snuggles (In Loving Memory), Jul 31 10:31 am

Food & Nutrition > Is it OK for me to only eat dry food?

Taki

Purred: Tue Jul 25, '06 4:58pm PST 
I totally agree with Hunter! My mommy only feeds us dry food. We get wet food only on special occasions or when someone isn't feeling good. Well, I'm usually that someone. I loooove wetfood with a passion, while the other 5 will only eat a little then walk away. But you know what? I'm allergic to most wetfoods! Mommy lets me eat Nutro brand wetfood from time to time and prescription wetfood if I'm feeling sick and need to put more weight on (I get finicky sometimes and refuse to eat until something yummy comes along).

Anyway, what mommy was originally trying to say is that, while many people espouse the greatness of wetfood, the fact is that if your kitty does well on dry food and drinks enough water, your kitty is doing fine. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taki, Jul 25 4:58 pm

Food & Nutrition > Meow Mix
Taki

Purred: Mon Jul 24, '06 11:22am PST 
I wouldn't worry about a connection between Meow Mix and cancer, if that's what you're worried about. Cancer is extremely common in older cats, and can show up for any number of reasons (most likely genetics). If you're cat lived until 17 and ate Meow Mix all her life, then you don't really have to worry about the food!

Meow mix is yummy, yummy junk food. The shelter I used to work with fed Iams to their cats but mixed in Meow Mix to get them to eat it (many snubbed the Iams). I give it to my own cats as a treat sometimes, but feed them Purina Indoor formula regularly. If Meow mix works for you, stick with it smile
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sammy, Jul 25 2:08 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.