Postings by Kenya's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Kitten Corner > Voracious appetite
Lyra

The Pepperoni- Pirate

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '14 10:22pm PST 
Thank you. It looks like I have more research to do. I wasn't aware that canned food could be left out all day without making them sick. I also wasn't aware that kittens are naturally very hungry all the time. Maybe that's her issue and maybe she has something else going on, I don't know. Compared to the other two, she's ravenous but maybe that's normal. It's been almost 7 years since we've had a kitten in the house and I really don't remember.

I do appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look at the site that you recommended. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lyra, Apr 12 10:22 pm

Lyra

The Pepperoni- Pirate

Purred: Fri Apr 11, '14 9:36am PST 
It's been a long time since I've had a kitten, so maybe this is normal?

We feed dry food because I work retail, so my work schedule is all over the place. Some days I start work at 6 am and other days I work until 10 pm. Because of that, a raw diet isn't very practical and canned food isn't really either. frown Amazingly, I hadn't looked as carefully at the ingredients of the NB LID Duck to realize that the first ingredient is peas. Ugh. We've been through the ringer to try to find yet another good food that everyone can eat but I guess it's time to start again. We have to go back to the vet with Kenya this coming week as she had 7 teeth removed 2 weeks ago, so I'll see about getting a fecal for Lyra at the time.

Thank you. I hope that it's just a kitten who's growing up!

Edited to add that she's inside only, as are all of our cats. We're leash training her but she hasn't really been out much at this point.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lyra, Apr 12 10:22 pm

Lyra

The Pepperoni- Pirate

Purred: Thu Apr 10, '14 9:35am PST 
Lyra is 9 months old and she's been with us for 5 months now. We adopted her from a local shelter after Simone crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

Lyra has been wonderful in so many ways BUT with food she acts as though she hasn't eaten in days or won't eat again.

We free feed with her and her big sister, Cassie, so she has food all the time. When we refill the bowls, she digs in like there's no tomorrow. If she drops a piece of food on the floor, she races to get it (they're fed on top of the cat tree - more on that later). Every piece of fluff, fuzz, or kitty litter that is on the floor is a potential "snack" for her and she will steal loaves of bread from the counter, and any other food that she can nab - We had cheese on the counter the other day that we were waiting to get to room temperature and she stole a block and started eating it under the cat tree! She has attempted to steal an entire pizza, and the list goes on and on. (We don't call her the Pepperoni Pirate for nothing!)

Her oldest sister, Kenya, is 14 and is on a special diet. This is why the other two are fed on top of the cat tree. If Kenya eats regular food then she gets sick (IBD). Lyra absolutely LOVES Kenya's food and will do anything possible to sneak into it, even if she's just had her own dinner. Lyra and Cassie are fed Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea, so they're completely grain free.

She was wormed as part of her intake at the shelter and she wasn't there for very long. The only health issue that she's had was a URI and she was a healthy weight when we brought her home (about 4 lbs at age 4 months). She's gained about a pound a month. The only time that we've EVER heard her growl was when we were taking a loaf of bread away from her. She doesn't scratch or bite but she makes it clear that she has to eat it, even through the plastic wrapper.

Simone passed away at age 8 1/2. She was a feral rescue at age 6 months and she would eat and eat and eat. She had fatty liver disease that we pulled her through once but she had a recurrance in October and we lost her. This is why I'm so concerned about Lyra's habits. She's still growing but when she stops growing I don't want her to be obese and potentially end up in Simone's shoes.

Any suggestions? Help!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lyra, Apr 12 10:22 pm

Food & Nutrition > Special needs allergy

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Wed Dec 25, '13 8:19am PST 
Thank you.

Kenya is having issues with the duck now too so we've moved to Nature's Instinct LID Rabbit to see how she does there. I also bought the Raw Boost in Lamb for the kitten to put in her food so they're eating the same thing. I didn't know about that product, so thank you so much! I know there are a couple different thoughts on kitten diet and some say that they can eat the same food as the adults but I want her to have every advantage. Her vet also recommends her to be on a kitten food until she's about a year.

Kenya's next step, if the LID diets don't work is a hydrolized diet. I hope we don't have to go there but I'll do what I have to to keep her healthy.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maizy , Dec 27 4:17 pm

Food & Nutrition > Special needs allergy

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sat Dec 14, '13 9:49am PST 
Hello! We've been on Catster for years but haven't been active in a very long time. I need some help though and was hoping that maybe the crew here could give me some pointers because I'm at my wits end!

Kenya is 14 and has been with me for 13 years. She's been getting sick lately and we were told that it's likely a food allergy to chicken. We switched to Natural Balance LID Duck and Green Pea and the majority of her issues disappeared (mostly vomiting and pooping and not being able to get to the litter box in time).

Here's the special needs part...
We got a kitten just before we discovered what Kenya's problem was. The kitten was 4 months old and is now 5 months old. I'm feeding her wet food morning and night and leaving dry food out the rest of the time. I had the baby, Lyra, on Wellness dry kitten food which is a chicken based food. Kenya has decided that the baby food is much better than her duck and so she's been munching on it more than Lyra has been. As you can imagine, Kenya has been sick a couple of times so I've been on a quest to find a food that is high in the nutrients that a kitten should have but that won't make Kenya sick.

Wellness Kitten food has 36% crude protein, 18% crude fat, 3% crude fiber.
Last night we bought Nature's Instinct Grain-free Turkey dry food that has 40% crude protein, 18% crude fat, and 3.5% crude fiber. After much research and looking at ingredients, this was the only non-kitten food that had the levels of protein that we're looking for while not having too much fiber (another possible culprit with Kenya as the Bistro Senior had a lot more fiber than her previous Merrick food).

Lyra scarfed down the new food last night with gusto. So did Kenya, after Lyra was done. Kenya got sick again in the middle of the night.

So my question is... what kitten appropriate food is there that is grain free AND chicken/turkey free? I've heard bad things about feeding fish on a regular basis too, and the only other non-chicken kitten food that I've found is whitefish.

With my work schedule and summer travels, a raw diet really isn't an option. They must be able to be on dry food.

We have one other cat, Cassie. She's 6 and has a bit of a sensitive stomach but has been fine. We've been grain free for at least 10 years now.

I should add that I decided to put the new food on top of the cat tree this morning in an effort to keep Kenya out of the food. She hasn't shown any interest in the tree since we got it a couple weeks ago, so maybe that will be our answer instead of finding another food. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for your help.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maizy , Dec 27 4:17 pm

Grooming > Looooong nails
Simone

Total sweetheart

Purred: Mon Apr 7, '08 9:42am PST 
Help! I have a 3 year old cat who was feral for the first 6 months of her life. She's living the good life and loves being with us but she is still quite skittish and despises having her paws touched at all (like my fingers burn her or something).

Her nails are very long and are snagging on the carpet, especially when she plays. We've managed to trim her nails a few times but it's always been a huge ordeal which ends with her being more terrified and us being scratched to pieces. Yes, I've tried everything to make sure that we don't scare her but since even being held scares her, even doing a few claws at a time doesn't help because it'll be weeks before we can do it again.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Taking her to the vet to have it done will get expensive if we have to take her every few weeks and declawing her will never, ever be an option.

TIA!
kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 8 10:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > InnovaEv0=smaller poops= ?

Cassie

No fear!!!

Purred: Thu Nov 22, '07 5:57pm PST 
I'm almost 7 months old and my mom had me on Evo for several months. When she got me, I'd been eating Kitten Chow and had regular poops. The other cats were eating Evo though and I plowed right into it cuz it was so nummy! Too bad though, my body didn't take too well to it and I had diarhea or runny poops almost all the time. It kept getting into my fur and I would step in it in the litterbox and track it everywhere. My mom hoped that my body would adjust and it just never did.

She's feeding me Premium Edge kitten food now cuz it was the best out of the ones that the pet store she was in had in stock (she was desperate to help me out!). I wasn't sure about it at first but now I eat it and my poops are normal again!

She's hoping to try the Evo with me again when I'm older. Right now, she and I are on the road with her work but she's concerned about how things will go when we get back home and the other cats try to eat her food and I try to eat theirs. She doesn't want me to be sick again but the other girls are thriving on the Evo. It should be an interesting time in a few weeks when we get home! party
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Toffy, Nov 27 3:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Litterbox problem

Cassie

No fear!!!

Purred: Tue Sep 4, '07 9:13pm PST 
Hi

This is Cassie's mom. She's out on the balcony wreaking havoc among the land so I thought I'd take a minute to see if anyone can help us with our latest problem?

Cassie is a medium long haired cat with hairy toes who's about 4 months old. Her litterbox is a covered one and we use scoopable litter. The box is cleaned once a day or, at the most, every other day. More often than not, after she poops, she ends up stepping in it with her back paws and then tracking it all over. It's getting to be quite a problem and we're at our wit's end about how to stop it.

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep her from stepping in her poop? I watched her once when I was cleaning the box out and she jumped in and she doesn't seem to keep her back legs very far apart, so that could be partly why she's stepping in it but there has to be a solution. Please? Our other 2 cats have never had this problem before.

We have 2 litterboxes for 3 cats, so it's not a matter of just too much use for the one box either. And she's done it even when the box was completely clean too.

Thank you for your help... whatever help you can suggest!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sasha, Sep 5 7:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Kitty biting and discipline

Cassie

No fear!!!

Purred: Wed Aug 29, '07 7:34pm PST 
Wow, I don't think I'd like pennies being shaken at me in a jar or bottle! Maybe they'll do that to help get my attention!

The nipping that I do is mostly in the mornings when I'm waking them up, so they haven't been petting me at all at that point. I come up and purr and butt my head against them so that they'll let me snuggle. I also do it when I'm getting sleepy and they're holding me, although those are usually more gentle. Mom thinks I'm going to end up piercing her nose one of these mornings though!

Overall though, we're getting to know each other a lot better and, with the exception of that grumpy bear Kenya, we're all getting along much better!

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I'll make sure mom has read them, although I really don't want her to know about those pennies! I'd rather that she keeps squirting me with the water he he (I even tried to join her in the shower this morning cuz I LOVE the water!)
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Boris, Aug 29 11:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Kitty biting and discipline
Cassie

No fear!!!

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '07 10:22am PST 
I just moved in with my new family 1 1/2 weeks ago. I'm about 4 months old and am quite the handful (heh!) There are a couple of things that my new family would like to know about.

First, I bite or nip. Not all the time and it's only really when I'm wanting to show them that I really do like them. I get in their face and rub against them and purr and purr. Then I'll nip their chin or bite their nose. I used to be really gentle with my last family but now I'm doing it hard enough that it hurts. I don't mean to hurt them but how can I stop?

Also, what can they do to discipline me when I'm doing something wrong but I'm across the room? Spraying with water works with their other 2 cats but it does nothing for me. They even got me with the Super Soaker once and I just looked at them like they were nuts and then went back to what I was doing! Water is fun! Wheeee!

They know I'm just doing what a baby does best but they want me to be well mannered when I grow up. Help!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Boris, Aug 29 11:13 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.