Postings by Miko's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Cat Health > Spaying my cat may have causes a hernia?
Leeloo

Purred: Tue Oct 22, '13 5:57am PST 
You probably already got this kitty to the vet, but I just thought I'd chime in. I HATE spays. Then again vets hate spays, so I think the feeling is mutual all around. They're necessary though, so this has got to be dealt with. I've fostered a few litters this year and pretty much every female has worried me about the possibility of a hernia. The general rule of thumb I've gotten is to keep them pretty still (I usually cage mine for a few days- especially from the boys so no one kicks the girls in the stomach since they bounce back in HOURS).

Our vet also mostly uses glue and then a few dissolvable stitches. It gives them a bit of a reaction and causes some puffy swelling in the area. Advice I've been given is pretty much as long as it isn't painful, red or hot and the kitty is acting normal, then carry on. The vet told me that it's very difficult to tell if it's truly a hernia until the swelling goes down. I was really worried about Leeloo since she just got spayed a few weeks ago and was acting like she was quite uncomfortable, but she's a kitten who was feral so she barely acts like a kitten. The swelling has gone down and now I can just feel the small lumps from the remaining reaction to the healing and dissolveable stitches, so no hernia there and she had a really big lump.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Leeloo, Oct 22 5:57 am

Cats and a Clean Home > worst smelling cat ever..
Miko

Purred: Mon Oct 7, '13 6:23am PST 
Agreeing with others! I switched my pet's from one high end diet to another recently, and their poop has made my house smell like a septic tank. It's been a few weeks and it's starting to level off finally, so I'm pretty sure it's the diet change. This was without any diarrhea, either. It was just STANK.

Giardia normally causes diarrhea. Either way you might want to get him checked for parasites. But since you're asking this here, I'm guessing he's not having diarrhea? You could try a probiotic to see if that helps. Everyone seems to suggest fortiflora. It's a bit expensive, but they LOVE the taste, so it helps!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Miko, Oct 7 6:23 am

Cat Health > Sticky cat pee normal?

Naya- (Sanshi) - ADTD

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 9:59am PST 
Hiya! It gets sticky as it dries. Is it sticky as soon as he pees, or are you coming home and finding it and it's sticky then?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Naya (Sanshi) - ADTD, Oct 2 9:59 am

Cat Health > FeLV Positive Pop!

Tsuki - ADTD

Purred: Mon Sep 30, '13 7:37am PST 
Thank you! I was able to speak to a local vet who also said that people say it's probably much more contagious than it is. For now, she's still in quarantine, and is waiting for the result on an IFA test to find out. Hopefully that will come this week so we can find out how we'll be moving forward.

Thank you for the support.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tsuki - ADTD, Sep 30 7:37 am

Cat Health > dirty ears

Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Fri Sep 27, '13 7:07am PST 
If his ears are full of a bunch of black/brown gunk, it's almost definitely ear mites. Ear mites are very contagious to other cats and are a very common problem. He was likely exposed wherever he was at. Your vet can give you medicated drops to put in his ears to get rid of them. In the meantime, you can get a damp cotton ball and clean his ears out a little bit. Make sure not to push gunk down into his ears. You need to swath it up and away from the canal. You really shouldn't try to clean deep into his ear because unless you really know what you're doing you could damage them.

But either way it won't do much good until you have the drops from the vet, and it would probably be best to medicate all of your cats at once so that you don't have an infestation that just keeps going from cat to cat.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Sep 27 9:05 am

Cat Health > FeLV Positive Pop!
Tsuki - ADTD

Purred: Tue Sep 24, '13 12:04pm PST 
I have three emergency fosters. Emergency in the fact that they were tagged on a euth list by the rescue I foster for and then EVERY SINGLE PERSON who had signed up to foster cats off that list disappeared/backed out and decided not to do it. But the other rescues had already left these guys behind because our rescue had them tagged, so I took them in and gave them my bedroom as a quarantine area. They're in separate very large cages and now I definitely feel less bad about that. The prettiest, owner surrendered girl just came back FeLV positive. The two strays were negative. Go figure.

They don't share litter/food or water bowls, but I had them out in my main living area this last weekend for a few hours to get pictures for their adoptions since their surgeries and tests were happening today. It was as I said just a few hours but I can't be sure she didn't drink water or use the litterbox downstairs. I don't THINK she did since it was the middle of the day, but this is the one virus that scares the pants off me.

There's a lot of conflicting information about the transmission of FeLV. Can it survive that long in a water dish? I had my other cats put away while I had these guys out and they didn't interact with one another. I'm trying to gauge how much risk there might be for the cats who aren't vaccinated for it yet but didn't come in direct contact with her.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tsuki - ADTD, Sep 30 7:37 am

Cat Health > Revolution?

♥- Aiden- ♥

Wings? I earned- a Rocketship

Purred: Wed Jul 24, '13 11:25am PST 
I really like using Revolution best. Where I live in FL, frontline doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Advantage is better and I use that on the kittens I find since I think it's chemically 'safer' for the very young cats. But since mosquitoes come in sometimes when I take my dog out to go potty, I really like that heartworm protection.

As some other mentioned, make sure you put it high enough. For some of my cats, I can do the shoulder blades, but a few of them will do all kinds of acrobatics to try to get them off, so the back of the neck is safer to go with when you first try it.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Steinem - In Memory, Jul 24 4:16 pm

Cat Health > Tailless or Tail Loss?

Leeloo

Purred: Wed Jul 24, '13 11:19am PST 
Is there a good way to tell the difference? I found another kitten this year, but this girl has a stub of a tail. I can't find a scab or obvious scar, but I don't know if it would if it happened right after she was born.

I thought it was natural and she was a manx, but the end of the tail stub feels empty. Like she has a little hat of skin that goes beyond the actual tail bones.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Leeloo, Jul 24 11:19 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Falling for a Half Tame Feral

Leeloo

Purred: Wed Jul 24, '13 11:13am PST 
I have happy progress and wouldn't mind a bit of advice if anyone any that can give me some options.

When I bought my house three years ago, I didn't imagine I'd be finding so many cats! Rumor has it that a lady who lives in the roads behind our neighborhood is hoarding cats after she lost her son two years ago. Last year, I found one litter of ferals that I acclimated as much as I could and rehomed. This year I've caught one, and my SO is petitioning that we keep her for many reasons.

The ferals last year I caught by hand because I was in a rush to get them taken care of. But they never fully trusted me and have done much better with their new owners. When we saw a tiny kitten a street over, I decided to try a more hands off approach and set a live trap. I wasn't terribly optimistic, but it worked after two days, and I brought the skinny, dull little kitten in to one of my foster crates.

It was just so irritating because I had already agreed to foster a whole litter for the rescue that has let me use their vet for the other cats I found. I had them on two different floors to try to avoid the risk of any transmissions and went hands off for a few days, just providing food. Three days later, she was starting to meow. A day after that, she was meowing and rubbing her head on the bars. And after less than a week, I managed to scritch her on her head and she was so desperate for touch and reassurance that she was practically falling over in my hand.

We don't know what happened to her mother. We never saw a strange cat in the neighborhood leading up to it. But when my SO saw her before we went on vacation, she was trying to hunt for herself at five weeks old. When I got back, a neighbor had been feeding her food but she was still trying to hunt lizards. She was totally on her own and starving.

Being with the foster litter and the mom has really helped, I think, and I hope she doesn't have any lingering socialization issues. They know she's not their sibling, but they do all play, and the mom especially likes to play with her and sometimes groom her.

I was still ready to go through the same motions of getting her ready for adoption as previous years when my SO started taking a specific interest in her. She got her name, Leeloo, and there was talk of keeping her. I think what really put the nail in the coffin is when she got loose in the car when she went to get her snap test. She freaked out, jamming herself under my car's front power seat and tangled herself in the bars and wires. My SO was nearly having a panic attack looking under the seat for her before I pushed her out of the way to get a good look and saw that she'd strangled herself unconscious. I was able to unwedge her head and get her neck off one of the bars and then slide her limp limbs out with no harm.

It was like my SO had survived Speed and had formed a need to protect Leeloo. So here I am. Trying to figure out how to make a properly integrated household.

I hadn't planned on getting any more cats until Tai and Kisa were gone, if at all. My SO has pretty intense cat allergies. She's ok with two cats, and just deals when there are fosters in the house, but three pushes it.

More than that, Kisa especially has never appreciated the helping out of stray or rescued kitties. She's attacked other female cats before, or has gotten herself attacked because she can never put a sock in her constant growling when another cat is around other than Tai. She tolerates kittens in a way, but still doesn't want then near her. I've tried treating, feliway, rescue remedy, associating, slow introductions. Nothing seems to turn off her great big B switch. She's on some calming treats she takes once a day now that seem to help. Moving her food bowl tends to get her to not eat. I'm going to try all of that, but if anyone knows any additional acclimating assists, I'd be happy to hear them.

As long as I can get them to tolerate one another, this little girl has a home.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tigger, Aug 30 2:56 pm

Cat Health > Cat Suddenly Not Shedding his Outer Claw Layer
Tai

Mr. Pitiful

Purred: Sat Nov 17, '12 4:52am PST 
My old man kitty has been having a really odd problem. His front claws are getting 'thick'. I keep them trimmed and have several scratching posts around, and he's never been the absolute best about shedding those outer layers, but now they're getting to the point where if I try to trim them, it cracks his nail to the quick.

Obviously being something that I do not want to do, I'm starting to wonder what else I can do. I waited two weeks longer to see if he would pull them off himself, but it's not happening. Is there anything I can do to help him?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Amber, Dec 1 1:09 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.