Postings by Bella's Family

GO!

Raw Food Diet > Would raw help my kitty?

Allie

Ms. Bug Catcher

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 1:27pm PST 
just figured I'd give an update incase anyone was interested!

My kitties seem to be gobbling up their new raw diet! Allie was a bit hesitant at first, but Bella dove right in. To get Allie to give it a go I bought a few cans of her fave can food, Chicken Almo Nature, and mixed it in. She just LOVES it now.
Their energy levels seem, rather...high since eating this food lol. It's good to seem them playing more and getting more active, especially Allie. big grin

OH! One thing I've also noticed is NO MORE STINK from Allie with her litter box use! Oh gosh this has got to be my favourite part of this diet change. It's so nice to see Allie having better poops that are not only, more solid, but FAR less stinky. dancing
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 31 4:56 pm

Bella

...my butt isn't- THAT fluffy!- ...is it?

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 1:18pm PST 
Thanks for the BK, I'll keep that in mind. Does make sense now that you mention it. big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 31 4:56 pm

Bella

Purred: Fri Jul 12, '13 5:24pm PST 
Oh thank for that info too! Perhaps I'll add in some hearts and gizzards to even it out, they'll love that too I'm sure. Would liver work as well?
The NV is a little pricey but if it means healthier kitties it's worth it, better than going to vets all the time for sure lol.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 31 4:56 pm

Bella

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 11:32pm PST 
Thanks for the reply Merlin; I'll pick up a trial bag when I go to work tomorrow. I may have been taught in pet nutrition from PetValu but it just goes to show that there is always more to learn! I'll be pushing as much raw food diets as I can now to my customers after all this wonderful information.
I'm happy to have had some input from this lovely community and happy I stumbled upon it too, thank so much everyone!. kitty

I'm sure my kitties will thank me in the long term. *kittykisses*
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 31 4:56 pm

Bella

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 3:40pm PST 
Thanks for the input everyone, glad to hear that I am making a better decision for my kitties. As for what kind of raw I'm not sure I'll have to do a bit more research into what I think may be best. It's hard to get a hold of many companies where I live but I know that the Pet Valu I work at carries the Natures Variety brand so I may look into that, along with some chicken/turkey necks (which I'll buy from a grocery store, this way I know their human grade) for them to chew on to help keep their teeth nice and healthy. Their teeth are in wonderful condition, I'm happy to say, so I'd like to keep them that way. smile
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 31 4:56 pm

Bella

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 2:36am PST 
My one cat (Bella) has always been healthy as a fiddle and never needed any extra specials with her diet ect...
However my newer kitty (I've had her about 3 years now) is STILL having digestive issues with her poop, and it's ever since she's been spayed about 2 years back. That and her excessive weight gain. My older female got spayed and put on little to no weight at all, I know some is common especially for indoor cats like my own, but SHEESH she put it on SO fast! Not gradually but BAM like within 2 weeks of her spay she went from a teeny bitty kitten to a little pudge, pudge Mah-goo.
I've tried all the commercial weight foods both dry and wet but:
1. they cost a fortune (specially cases of some wet!) and 2. they don't seem to help. She has not put any more on mind you but she can't seem to loose the weight she did put on. (they are not free fed cats. I measure their food. They get a cup and half of dry, currently, between the two of them daily; most of which they don't finish by night time. They like food but don't gorge like some animals I've seen.)

I also try to keep her active with daily play time and Bella of course helps with that too, she's a spunky gal at times lol but it's always the same. No difference in weight and no improvement on those stinky, fowl smelling, soft poops.
I just want my healthy kitten back...she never had these issues till those vets got a hold of her now it seems like nothing helps. frown

Before anyone asks, she has been tested for allergies, diabetes, parasites ect.. and all came back negative apparently. The vets tell me I over feed her and yet she barely eats as is...their snippy, rude and tell me it's my fault. I really don't like the vets here (a different small animal vet in my city nearly killed my rabbit as well, but thats another story...) She also caught calicivirus from that vet office too and they denied that as well even though there is NO way for Allie to have come in contact with any other cats except Bella (who she had been with since she was a kitten and who is up to date with all her shots) and cats at THEIR office. I mean really now it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. And to top it all off when I brought her in with it they didn't even know what it was! The vet was confused told me he'd never seen anything like it sent me home with random antibiotics to which he said: "I dunno try this and see if it works..." without even know what he was dealing with. I was skeptical and did my own research online with her symptoms and figured it out with very little effort. I tossed the antibiotics (cause they wouldn't have helped anyways...) gave her L-Lysine and she instantly started to improve. Ugh, so frustrated with these people!

So anyways, I know the vets here never like the sound of raw diets and frown upon them (then try and make me buy garbage vet foods full of corn and by-products. YUCK!) so I wont even bring this up with them. Can't stand them, as you know by the above...so I guess I'd like some personal feedback from others who may have had similar results ect...with raw. Do you think it will help her? From what research I've done it seems like it may be the answer to my prayers but I'd like the communities in put. kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 31 4:56 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.