Postings by Carina's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Choosing the Right Cat > Is a male cat right for me?
Buddha

Purred: Tue Nov 18, '14 4:05pm PST 
As long as you have the cat neutered before he becomes sexually mature, there should be no problems. There's really not much difference between the males and females in personality or behavior if they are spayed and neutered. Incidentally although most intact males spray, some don't and some intact females spray especially when they are in heat! Although it's uncommon, even altered cats may spray if they are in a situation where they feel very insecure.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buddha, Nov 18 4:05 pm

Behavior & Training > Introducing a second cat
Lily

Purred: Tue Nov 18, '14 3:59pm PST 
Here's an article I wrote on how to introduce a cat to a multiple cat household. The method will work for your situation as well.

How to introduce new cat to multiple cat household

It usually takes two weeks at least for a cat to adjust to a new home and for the resident cats in that home to accept the new cat. At first keep the cat in only one room or even better, an extra large plastic airline dog crate with its litter, food, water, a toy or two, and something to sleep on. With the crate method, the cat is safe but can see and interact with the resident cat through the door of the crate. If you use the crate method, let the cat out for awhile in one room by itself to exercise and explore. After the cat has been returned to the crate, let your resident cat(s) back into the room where the cat was so they can sniff around and get used to the cat's scent and presence. If you're using the separate room method, move the cat to a different room for awhile and let the resident cat come into the room where the cat previously was and let the cat sniff around. After awhile remove the resident cats and return the cat to the first room. I personally prefer the crate method because it allows for safe socialization between the resident cats and the cat 24/7. If the cat doesn't want to interact or if she's scared, she can hide in the back of the crate and feel safe.

After your new cat shows some confidence (comes to the front of the crate and shows interest in the world beyond the crate door) clip all cats claws and then let the cats meet each other while you supervise. Most likely there will be some hissing on both sides as each will be a bit afraid of the other. Generally then the cats will stay out of each others way at first, then gradually they form a truce or an understanding among them.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lola, Dec 11 11:33 am

Behavior & Training > My cat seems to only be aggressive and cold to me

Gyselle

Purred: Wed Oct 29, '14 3:46am PST 
I wonder if your cat has anxiety issues and if putting her on a medication such as Prozac might help her. It's also possible that she has hypersensitivity or feline hyperesthesia issues in addition to anxiety issues, and that she easily becomes overstimulated. It's also possible that a previous owner encouraged your cat to scratch and bite by playing roughly with her. I recently adopted a cat who when I first got him, tended to grab me with his claws and give fairly hard although inhibited bites. I started stroking the top of his head only and if he started to swat or bite, I would hiss at him and then ignore him for awhile. His behavior has become much better since I started doing that.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gyselle, Oct 29 3:46 am

Behavior & Training > At the end of our rope with our cat of 5+ years.. Major behavioural issues (non-aggressive)

Moose

Purred: Wed Oct 29, '14 3:36am PST 
Retraining a Cat to Use Litter Pan

I've had quite a bit of success retraining a cat to use the litter pan by using the below method.

I get an extra large (Varikennel size 500 or 700) plastic airline dog crate. I put the cat's food, water, and a litter pan (I use cheap plastic dishpans for crate litterpans, they are a good size for a cage litter pan. I then put the cat in the crate. I scoop the poop out of the litter pan daily and change it as needed. I find that a cat who housesoils usually will use the litter pan when crated. After the cat has been crated a month, IF the cat has been clean in the crate, I release the cat back into the house. If the cat housesoils again after being released into the house, I then crate the cat again for 2 to 3 months. If the cat is clean in the crate during that time, I again release the cat into the house. So far in all my years of having cats, most of the cats who housesoiled were retrained successfully. The few who weren't retrained successfully were cats who felt secure in a crate or a cat cage, but who were fearful and nervous loose in the house.

Another thing you might try is asking the vet about putting your cat with the problems on an anti-anxiety medication such as Prozac and see if this helps.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Moose, Oct 29 3:36 am

Behavior & Training > Cat is a horrible food thief

Moose

Purred: Tue Oct 28, '14 1:10pm PST 
Another thing you can do is to get childproof locks for the kitchen cabinets and drawers so that the cat cannot open them! I had to do this since certain cats of mine, Moose especially, likes to get into kitchen cabinets and drawers to explore them, knock things out of them, or to sleep in them!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mojo, Oct 31 10:59 am

Choosing the Right Cat > What breed am I?
Buttons

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:34am PST 
You are of the color pattern called "brown classic tabby." Most likely you are a domestic shorthair. You look alot like our Buttons!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buttons, Oct 14 6:34 am

Get Well Soon > I fell 80 feet off of our 8th floor balcony and I survived!

Lucy Liu

Never- Underestimate a- Special Kitty!

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:24am PST 
Here's well wishes, power of the paw, prayers, and positive vibes from all of us! We hope you have a good recovery Jack! Purrs to you!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alexander, Dreamboat #110, Oct 19 1:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Calming a very very VERY needy cat?

Buddha

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:19am PST 
You might try the Feliway diffuser, which emits cat calming pheromones into the air. You can get the Feliway diffuser at petshops and online. The best price I've found for it has been at Drs. Foster & Smith's website.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pca tid=8906

You might also talk to your vet about your cat's behavior and ask the vet about the possibility of giving her an anti-anxiety medication such as Prozac.

Another thing you might try is leaving a radio on while you're not at home. Also if you don't have one, get a good quality cat tree with sisal-wrapped posts and carpeted shelves and place the tree by a window so the cat can sit on it and watch out the window. My cats spend hours sitting on their cat trees watching out the window. You also might try leaving a cartoon tv channel on for your cat. I've found that several of my cats love watching cartoons!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buddha, Oct 14 6:19 am

Other Meows & Purrs > National Feral Cat Day October 16

Gabriel

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:10am PST 
October 16 is National Feral Cat Day! See the Alley Cat Allies website
http://www.alleycat.org/
for more information and ways you can get involved.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gabriel, Oct 14 6:10 am

Behavior & Training > VERY scared aggressive foster cat, help?!
Noon

Purred: Tue Sep 30, '14 4:20am PST 
This is an article I wrote on the subject. This is the method I use to socialize scared, aggressive, even feral cats.

How to help new or fearful cat adjust

At first keep the cat in only one room or even better, an extra large plastic airline dog crate with its litter, food, water, a toy or two, and something to sleep on. I cover the crate with a blanket all except for the door so the cat feels like it's in a safe den. I personally prefer the crate method with scared cats because with the crate method, the cat can choose whether she wants to hide in the back of the crate or whether she wants to come to the front and interact with the world outside of the crate. I put the litter pan at the front of the crate, the food (feed dry food) and water dishes at the side or between the litter pan and the cat's bed in the very back of the crate. A folded towel makes a good bed. This way you can clean and change the litter and take care of the cat's food and water without having to disturb the cat. Whenever I'm near the cat, I talk to the cat in a soft gentle voice.

After a few days of this, once a day when I'm done taking care of the litter, food, and water, I will talk to the cat and then give her a tablespoon of canned food on a small paper plate as a treat. After giving her the canned food I leave her alone. The treat helps teach the cat that good pleasant things come from you. When the cat begins to act less fearful of you, try to gently pet her on the top of the head and scratch her neck and behind the ears. If she reacts fearfully by hissing or trying to smack at you, slowly back away from the cat and go back to the routine of soft talking and giving canned food treats for a few days before you try to touch the cat again.

I've socialized a number of skittish or fearful cats by this method. I've even tamed a number of feral cats by this method. It may take two weeks to two months to socialize a skittish or nervous cat. Taming a feral cat may take much longer. Give your new cat plenty of time and be patient with her!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sophie, Oct 1 11:36 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.