Postings by Lefty's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Choosing the Right Cat > What breed am I?
Buttons

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:34am PST 
You are of the color pattern called "brown classic tabby." Most likely you are a domestic shorthair. You look alot like our Buttons!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buttons, Oct 14 6:34 am

Get Well Soon > I fell 80 feet off of our 8th floor balcony and I survived!
Lucy Liu

Never- Underestimate a- Special Kitty!

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:24am PST 
Here's well wishes, power of the paw, prayers, and positive vibes from all of us! We hope you have a good recovery Jack! Purrs to you!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alexander, Dreamboat #110, Sun 1:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Calming a very very VERY needy cat?

Buddha

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:19am PST 
You might try the Feliway diffuser, which emits cat calming pheromones into the air. You can get the Feliway diffuser at petshops and online. The best price I've found for it has been at Drs. Foster & Smith's website.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pca tid=8906

You might also talk to your vet about your cat's behavior and ask the vet about the possibility of giving her an anti-anxiety medication such as Prozac.

Another thing you might try is leaving a radio on while you're not at home. Also if you don't have one, get a good quality cat tree with sisal-wrapped posts and carpeted shelves and place the tree by a window so the cat can sit on it and watch out the window. My cats spend hours sitting on their cat trees watching out the window. You also might try leaving a cartoon tv channel on for your cat. I've found that several of my cats love watching cartoons!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buddha, Oct 14 6:19 am

Other Meows & Purrs > National Feral Cat Day October 16

Gabriel

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:10am PST 
October 16 is National Feral Cat Day! See the Alley Cat Allies website
http://www.alleycat.org/
for more information and ways you can get involved.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gabriel, Oct 14 6:10 am

Behavior & Training > VERY scared aggressive foster cat, help?!

Noon

Purred: Tue Sep 30, '14 4:20am PST 
This is an article I wrote on the subject. This is the method I use to socialize scared, aggressive, even feral cats.

How to help new or fearful cat adjust

At first keep the cat in only one room or even better, an extra large plastic airline dog crate with its litter, food, water, a toy or two, and something to sleep on. I cover the crate with a blanket all except for the door so the cat feels like it's in a safe den. I personally prefer the crate method with scared cats because with the crate method, the cat can choose whether she wants to hide in the back of the crate or whether she wants to come to the front and interact with the world outside of the crate. I put the litter pan at the front of the crate, the food (feed dry food) and water dishes at the side or between the litter pan and the cat's bed in the very back of the crate. A folded towel makes a good bed. This way you can clean and change the litter and take care of the cat's food and water without having to disturb the cat. Whenever I'm near the cat, I talk to the cat in a soft gentle voice.

After a few days of this, once a day when I'm done taking care of the litter, food, and water, I will talk to the cat and then give her a tablespoon of canned food on a small paper plate as a treat. After giving her the canned food I leave her alone. The treat helps teach the cat that good pleasant things come from you. When the cat begins to act less fearful of you, try to gently pet her on the top of the head and scratch her neck and behind the ears. If she reacts fearfully by hissing or trying to smack at you, slowly back away from the cat and go back to the routine of soft talking and giving canned food treats for a few days before you try to touch the cat again.

I've socialized a number of skittish or fearful cats by this method. I've even tamed a number of feral cats by this method. It may take two weeks to two months to socialize a skittish or nervous cat. Taming a feral cat may take much longer. Give your new cat plenty of time and be patient with her!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sophie, Oct 1 11:36 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Bindi left us suddenly today :(
Angel- Dova(8-1-13/- 7-5-14)

Dragon Born

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '14 1:34am PST 
I empathize with you. That is indeed an extremely painful condition for which nothing can be done and the only answer is euthanasia to relieve the suffering. More on FATE here:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=3351 &S=0&EVetID=3001644

So sorry for your loss. It's always hardest when a kitty crosses the Rainbow Bridge very suddenly and unexpectedly.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Oct 12 10:43 am

Behavior & Training > Issues with cats not covering feces

Moose

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '14 1:26am PST 
A lot of cats don't cover their poop. I don't know if they're simply lazy or what. I have several cats who never cover their poop, they just "dump and go." I have a couple of other cats who, if they're around when these non-covering cats use the litter, will go into the litter box and with a disgusted look on their faces they will cover the feces for the negligent cats! I haven't found that covered litter pans or uncovered litter pans make any difference.

For cats that poop over the edge of the litter pan, this is easily corrected by getting a rubbermaid/sterilite type plastic storage box about 30 inches long and 18 inches tall. You cut a circular hole in one end about 9 inches in diameter and about 6 inches up from the bottom of the box, for an entrance hole. These big boxes are cheaper than most litter pans, are of a size that cats like, and a cat cannot pee or poop over the sides of the box. You can use the boxes either covered or uncovered, most cats prefer uncovered litter pans.

For cats who get poop stuck to their rear ends (usually longhairs) the best remedy is to gently clip the hair short under the tail, around the anus, on the inner backs of the hind legs, and on the underside of 1/4 of the tail closest to the body. I keep the hair in these areas of my old Persian clipped short all the time to prevent him from getting poop stuck in his coat.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sherlock, Sep 30 10:24 pm

Cat Health > Skinny Kitty

Splat Cat

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '14 1:18am PST 
Here is some good information on hyperthyroidism in cats.
http://www.2ndchance.info/hyperthyroid.htm

Perhaps if you tell your vet that you cannot afford all the tests and ask the vet if it's possible to just do thyroid testing, the vet will work with you to keep the costs down. Also call your local shelters, explain your financial situation, and ask if they know of any vets who will treat your cat at low cost or who will take payments. You could also ask if there's something you could do at the vet's to help work off part of your bill. Good luck to you and your kitty.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lady, Sep 27 11:44 pm

Cat Health > Kitty's sneezing & has a little eye gunk. Is it a cold or allergies, and how do I treat it?

Jag

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '14 1:10am PST 
Chances are it's an upper respiratory infection. These infections are as common in cats as the common cold is in humans. If your kitten is eating well, drinking well, urinating and defecating normally and acting like he feels good, then I would wait a few days and see if it gets better on its own. However, if the kitten is acting sick at all, not eating well, if there's pus in the eye gunk, or if it gets any worse, then you will need to take the kitten to the vet for antibiotics.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Andy Boy Anderson, Oct 4 11:33 am

Cat Health > Searching for information on scoliosis.
Uno

We little black- kitties RULE!

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '14 1:06am PST 
The cause of a malformed spine is most likely genetic, meaning he inherited the disorder from his mom or dad. It could also be because of a genetic mutation that occurred while he was in the womb, possibly because his mother was malnourished or exposed to toxins that caused birth defects while she was pregnant. Since it is genetic and he could pass it on to any of his kittens, you should get him neutered as soon as he's old enough.

If the deformity is severe, he may need surgery to correct his spinal alignment. A deformed spine can put pressure on his spinal cord, leading to neurological symptoms. In less severe cases, his vet will want to take X-rays a few times a year to make sure the condition hasn't gotten worse. Physical therapy can be useful in helping Kitty get around easier.
http://pets.thenest.com/scoliosis-cats-9675.html
http://ww w.petmd.com/cat/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_ct_spinal_malformations

Good luck with your kitty and I hope he lives a normal lifespan with good quality of life in spite of his challenges!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Uno, Sep 27 1:06 am

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.