Postings by Trek's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Cat Health > Does my cat need an IV and Blood work for spay?
Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Tue Feb 25, '14 1:45pm PST 
Good grief! Where do you live? To my Oklahoma sensibilities, that's an exorbitant price. However, to answer your question...for an otherwise healthy 6 month old cat, there's no real need for the bloodwork or IV.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 12:27 pm

Cat Health > Cat Drinking Fountains.
Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Wed Jan 15, '14 10:43am PST 
I just got a Pioneer Pet Big Max at half price on Amazon. It's stainless steel (the filter and motor housing is the only plastic part and it's hidden) and it holds 128 oz. of water which might be handy if the dog will also be partaking.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maus: DB #53!, Jan 27 2:33 pm

Cat Health > Weird red bump

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Mon Jan 13, '14 1:21pm PST 
When you say "gotten bigger," what are you talking about? If it's now less of a bump and more of a disk shape, it could be ringworm--the bane of every cat owner's existence. Either way, probably a good idea to swing by the vet.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Laila, Jan 13 1:21 pm

Cat Health > Mac is very sick

Iba

Purred: Mon Jan 13, '14 1:19pm PST 
Out of curiosity, if Mac's liver enzymes are elevated, has your vet given him some fluids under the skin? The extra liquid (usually saline or lactated Ringer's) gives the liver an assist on flushing out toxins. We had an FIV-positive cat whose ALT level would get nearly 9 times the normal limit. He got fluids to help flush everything out. It would probably cut down on the work Mac's body is trying to do.
[notify]

» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Zoey, Mar 15 4:10 pm

Behavior & Training > 3 Month Old Kitten Rolling in freshly cleaned litter box... meaning?

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Fri Dec 13, '13 10:05am PST 
Because he's a three month old kitten and they are, by nature, a little bit crazy. I work at a neonatal kitten rescue, and I see kittens do all sorts of crazy things in their litter boxes--clean OR dirty. He should grow out of it.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Dec 14 6:35 am

Kitten Corner > Should I get littermates?
Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Wed Nov 27, '13 12:02pm PST 
Three kittens can definitely be a handful. I fostered three littermates (and kept 2 of them), but because they are littermates, they will occupy each other with very little assistance from the rest of you. The two that I kept often curl up together and sleep or take turns grooming each other. Assuming they get along well, I'd say go for it.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 1 7:36 am

Cat Health > my cat was neutered, surgery effects?

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Fri Nov 1, '13 11:22am PST 
The green line is actually a tattoo. Not that male cats need one as most folks can identify an altered male, but some places to it as a matter of course to show that a cat is spayed/neutered. As for his stitches, I can't quite figure out the angle I was seeing, but it looks pretty normal. As long as they don't get really red and inflamed and he doesn't lick, he should be okay.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Nov 4 8:22 am

Kitten Corner > What is he?

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Mon Oct 28, '13 2:15pm PST 
He's cute. That's really the most important thing. He's somewhere in the Siamese family, but more importantly he's cute.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BooBoo Jr., Oct 30 5:56 pm

Cat Health > Hairball or something else? Her meow went away :(

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Mon Oct 28, '13 2:14pm PST 
When she coughs, is it a gagging sound (like a hair ball) and the action to go along with it or is her neck straight out like she's having trouble getting air with her head swaying side to side as she coughs? She's really probably too young for a hairball. If it's more what I described second, that's asthma and she may still be too young for a definite diagnosis, but it does require veterinary attention. Also remember that sometimes, cats turn on the "silent meow" as a sympathy thing. Fiyero does it all the time when he wants to appear especially pitiful. Keep an eye on her. Make sure she's eating well and drinking water. When she goes back for her next round of booster shots, you might mention it though (I'm all about piggy backing as many issues as possible on one vet visit. Saves all sorts of money big grin )
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sammie, Oct 28 7:20 pm

Cat Health > Car sickness remedy?
Iba

Purred: Sun Oct 27, '13 6:52pm PST 
If your cat is getting sick on short car rides, this is probably due to stress. A few things MIGHT help. First, let the cat get used to the carrier (and I really do recommend a carrier). Bring the carrier in and take the top off. Put a fresh towel and a little catnip or a toy or something in the bottom to make it more appealing. Let the cat get used to just the bottom half of the carrier. Once that's happened, put the top on but NOT the door. This way, the cat can go in and out as it pleases. Once they are comfortable that way, THEN put the door on. Let the cat sit in the carrier with the door latched for a few minutes at a time, then reward her when you let her out. Another thing to try would be some Feliway spray on whatever towel is in the bottom.

Now if it's long car rides, here's what I've tried with Iba. Iba used to get violently car sick from both ends. Rule #1--Fast the cat for at least 4-6 hours (I fast Iba for around 8). A cat with an empty stomach is less likely to get nausea and puke. There are anti-carsick meds for cats and dogs that can be given. We started with those, but Iba and I have been able to phase that out. What we still use is acepromazine as a sedative. Again, it takes a little experimentation to figure out how much is enough. Iba is typically good on a half a pill for a 5 hour car ride (our longest thus far), but if he's had a particularly stressful day (a trip to the vet for example), I'll give him a whole pill. The one day I had to do this, I'm glad I did as we hit a deer on the highway and if he hadn't been stoned out of his mind, he would have freaked out. But test with a small amount and work your way up. Also, keep in mind that some cats start to sing like canaries when they are sedated.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by QGM Harlequin (Striped Seven), Oct 28 1:40 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.