Postings by Tobi's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Cat Health > Acting aggressive after neutering
Grymm

That's PRINCE- Grymmothy to- you!

Purred: Thu May 1, '14 3:52pm PST 
Today I "tortured" little Grymm in the most awful way: I got him fixed. The vet said the procedure went fine and that he should recover well, but he's been acting very much not like himself since I brought him home. He's been very angry and snappy. He won't let me come near him and hisses and swats if I try. He's also being incredibly aggressive toward Artemis. He won't allow Artie near the food or water, the toys, any of the boxes we have around for them, or me. I know he's in pain and probably already stressed out, but he's making it worse on himself by following Artie around to guard things. I tried putting him in a room by himself, and he freaked out and clawed at the underside of the door. I've had him since the day he was born, and I had Artie here before I moved Grymm in. He's never acted like this. I know cats usually aren't themselves after getting fixed, but I've never had a cat act this badly, not even the ones who were unfriendly to begin with, and I'm worried he might be having a negative reaction to the anesthesia. I also need to be able to check the area and make sure it's not getting infected without freaking him out.
Has anyone ever had a cat react to a spay/neuter this way? Is there anything I can do to help him?
I know I could easily be overreacting; as I said earlier, I've had him since the day he was born and we haven't spent much time apart.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by ♛ Arwen ♛, May 29 8:22 am

Cat Health > What do you guys think?
Grymm

Purred: Mon Mar 24, '14 2:16pm PST 
Figured I'd give you guys an update.
Dapper had to be put to sleep. His owner took him to the vet one day last week. After he seemed to be getting better, he began vomiting even larger amounts of stomach bile. While at the vet, she was told that Dapper's kidney's were failing and he had little muscle mass left, and that there was nothing that could be done, and that since he was rescued from a hoarder, where cats are allowed to breed and interbreed, it was likely a genetic fault.
It's really awful, we did our best to give him a better life, and now the hoarder can't even be brought to justice because she's related to the sheriff, and it's a small town, so he's protecting her...
But at least he won't be in pain anymore.
Rest in Peace, poor little Dapper Dan.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 3:40 am

Cat Health > My momcat tried to kill its own baby

Tobi

Because I'm a- Lady, That's Why

Purred: Sat Mar 22, '14 10:30am PST 
8 months old is too young to be a mom in the first place. She's still a baby herself, and that very well could be why. She doesn't have the mothering instinct yet; right now her whole world is supposed to be play.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 3:41 am

Kitten Corner > Question on new kittens diet as she is suffering from bloody stools

Artemis

Let me sing you- the song of my- people.

Purred: Fri Mar 14, '14 8:16pm PST 
Like Stella said, it could possibly be worms, but you should definitely have a vet check her out. Bloody stools could also be a sign of an infection, which are common in rescued cats. Accidents outside of her litter box can be another indication that she's not feeling so hot.
Best of luck to you and miss Lucy!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Artemis, Mar 14 8:16 pm

Grymm

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '14 7:41pm PST 
I asked my friend about the x-ray. She said Dap's had one and it came up clean. Right now, she's just waiting until tomorrow when she goes back to the vet to check everything out, and if there's no change, she's most likely going to take Dapper to another vet for a second opinion.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 3:40 am

Behavior & Training > Swatting when body signals say otherwise
Grymm

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '14 8:31pm PST 
Since she's young, she might just be testing her boundaries. Grymm did this for a little while. I know he gets along with other cats, I have another, and my roommate also had two, but whenever he met a new cat, he would arch his back, swat, and hiss, repeatedly. Since you have no other animals, she may be doing it with you instead. If she is just testing boundaries, she should grow out of it.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Grymm, Mar 7 8:31 pm

Grymm

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '14 7:32pm PST 
A friend of mine is having some trouble with her cat, Dapper. He's young, only about 9 months old, so she's very stressed and worried about him. He's been sick for about two weeks now. At first he had absolutely no appetite. He'd eat maybe a bite, but really didn't touch his food at all. The first time she took him to the vet, they game him a special food for gastrointestinal issues. He's eating now, but when he does, he vomits bile 4-5 hours later. Not just a little bit, it's like he empties the entire contents of his stomach. It happens 3 or 4 times a day. He's lost weight, and he's very tired. She took him to the vet again, and was given two possible causes: parasites, or a possible pancreas issue. He could be missing essential digestive enzymes. She was given a stronger dewormer to give him, and Dapper was given an injection of B12, to help with his metabolism and possible shortage from digestive failures. He still seemed to have an appetite after that, so he was given an antacid and nausea aid as well. She'll be going back to the vet in two days to consult with them.
What do you guys think? Have you ever had any similar issues with your kitties? What was the cause, and how did you cure it? Or is it a long-term medical problem?
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 3:40 am

Behavior & Training > Grayson is affectionate?

Artemis

Purred: Fri Feb 21, '14 12:28pm PST 
That's completely out of affection. The licking/chewing is him trying to groom you. Congrats- he's claimed you as part of his family.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tigger, Feb 22 10:50 am

Choosing the Right Cat > The pros and cons of a persian cat

Artemis

Purred: Thu Feb 20, '14 9:11pm PST 
I had a Himalayan when I was growing up. I loved her to pieces, but grooming definitely was a challenge. We used to get her a lion cut twice a year. She hated the process, but after all was said and done, she seemed to love it. She flaunted herself like she felt simply beautiful, and she loved pets so much more- easier to feel without the floof, I suppose. It also made grooming SOOOOO much easier, for us and for her. Not so many hair balls, and not so many places to keep brushed or check for mats.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 19 4:47 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Adopting a kitty for Apartment dwellers
Grymm

Purred: Thu Feb 20, '14 9:06pm PST 
Unfortunately, the Sphinx mix might not be such a good idea for an apartment unless you have a lot of time and energy to devote to him. Sphinx cats tend to have a LOT of energy, and they're very intelligent, so they need LOTS of exercise and stimulation- that means walks, plenty of things to scratch, places to climb and perch, and lots of toys. A bored Sphinx will find other things to amuse themselves with, and it may not always be something you think is appropriate.
PLEASE do not get your cat declawed. That would be like cutting off the tip of your finger at the first joint, and it prevents the cat from walking correctly, as cats are designed to walk on the tips of their toes(which is amputated when they're declawed), not the pads of their feet, so it can cause major joint issues when they get older.
If you get a young cat, you can work with them to get them used to you touching their paws, so as long as you're gentle and take care not to clip the quick, you'll have no trouble trimming claws.
You should also provide your cat with appropriate places to scratch as well. Expecting a cat to just not scratch is ridiculous. It's part of their nature. They simply need to be taught that their tree/post/etc. is YES and the couch/walls/furniture is NO.
As far as discipline goes, as Claude said, be consistent. Make sure everyone is telling the cat the same thing. Cats can recognize different tones of voice, so that's how I have my cats trained. Don't yell- they'll just think you're being loud- but use a firm tone of voice. They won't catch on right away, but keep at it.
I would also recommend waiting until you've moved into your new place to bring your kitty in. Your cat will have to adjust to a whole new everything, and while it may take them some time to come to you, it will definitely be easier with you there rather than having them there alone.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nicodemus, Mar 5 10:16 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.