Postings by Amber's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Cat Health > Soft Stools, Diarrhea: Solutions & Experiences
Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 6:28pm PST 
Ahhh...the dreaded diarrhea! That's always a nice present to find in the litterbox. Diarrhea is the body's way of getting rid of something quickly. It's like a defense mechanism. The diarrhea should clear up once the cat's body removes whatever is bothering it. You kitty must be eating something that isn't agreeing with him. But, there are also several viruses that can cause diarrhea. If it's a virus, the diarrhea should clear up in a couple of days. The only problem is that diarrhea removes a lot of fluid from the body. When you cat gets diarrhea, what has he done in the last 24 hours? Did he get into the garbage? Drink milk? Eat human food? Eat new food? Have any stress in his life? What about a week before the diarrhea? Stress? Eating non-food items? Symptoms of illness?
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , May 6 9:22 am

Cat Health > Wounds behind ear...scabbish
Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 6:18pm PST 
Don't use peroxide. A lot of people us this on themselves and their pets, and it does nothing but eat flesh. It could be fleas. Can you check the cats for fleas? I would get them to a veterinarian. If you can't afford a vet, give them a good bath. You will need at least two people handy for this! Make sure to have large towels to restrain and dry the cats as needed. My cats recently got fleas. I treated them, but it's taking a long time. I just bathed all 11 of them a few days ago and I got tons of fleas off of them. They seem to be feeling better now. Boy, they are some spoiled cats. They love when I hold ice cubes so they can lick them. They actually enjoy getting in the freezer and licking bags of frozen vegetables! LOL!!! At least they are eating and drinking better after I got the fleas off.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 3 2:16 pm

Food & Nutrition > Talking to vet about switching food to control "allergies"

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 4:19pm PST 
Science Diet makes very poor quality food. Your cats are basically eating floor sweepings. I would stay away from steroid shots, as they have been linked to meningitis. You should ONLY be feeding a canned cat food, homemade diet or raw. The food your vet is giving your cat is very low quality and what I would consider dangerous! I’m sure the vomiting is because he just can’t digest the garbage that is in that diet. Whatever you do, stay away from dry food! It keeps cats constantly dehydrated. Gimborn makes eye-cleansing pads, which I recommend for his watery eyes. They also make sterile eye wash, which could help. You can try Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hypoallergenic Selected Protein Adult PR Canned Cat Food. I’m sure your vet will give you a prescription for it. You do not need to go grain-free, but you do need a cat food that is high in moisture.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Dec 2 6:09 pm

Food & Nutrition > Best cheap food for stray cats

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 4:09pm PST 
Feed a good quality dry and canned food. I'm sure they would even appreciate some raw! I recommend reading The New Natural Cat. They have tons of good recipes in there for cats. But, your finances really determine what type of food you can feed the strays. I know I want what is best for all cats, even the ferals. Stay away from any bad ingredients. Don't use anything that has byproducts or corn as the first ingredient. Although, it really depends on how many strays you are feeding. I have been feeding ferals cats for years. Many of my neighbors will even give my cat food to feed our neighborhood ferals! It's mostly low quality stuff, though. I trap and spay/neuter as many as I can, too. The strays look better than some house cats I've seen! I feed them dry food, canned food, and add some supplements, too.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Miss Tiny Burr Burr, Dec 6 3:49 am

Food & Nutrition > Revealed-PetSmart BLACK FRIDAY ad

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 4:03pm PST 
We went and got a whole bunch of cans of Friskies. It was a great deal! Do you know when they will be having any other sales? We are really tight on money and can always use a little inside information! We would love to know when they have sales on canned cat food, especially. My cats love the turkey flavored Friskies! We still have quite a few cans left, but we mainly feed Whiskas. They like the Whiskas in the pouch and the milk they make for cats. We also buy the little tubs of food when they are on sale, but I think they like the pouches better. I will be going to PetSmart tomorrow to pick up a few things. Definitely my favorite store! We need cat litter (Fresh Step) and some more cat food (Friskies). Anytime there is a sale, please post so we can make sure and hit it! Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Amber, Dec 2 4:03 pm

Food & Nutrition > Flavoring the drinking water
Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 3:50pm PST 
Peppermint is actually toxic to cats. You need to keep her from ingesting it. It can cause vomiting and diarrhea, nervous system depression, and liver damage. Are you wanting her to drink more water? If so, use a stainless steel bowl as her water bowl. Make sure to wash the dish daily and rinse it very well. It is best to have several water bowls throughout the home, at least one for each cat. You can also mix water in with you cat's canned food. Or soak the dry food in water. You can also give your cat a small amount of milk mixed with water. Maybe try putting an ice cube in your cat's food. Many cats also like running tap water. Stainless steel dishes are the best. If your cat doesn't eat much canned food, you can freeze portions of it and use it later. If you are worried your cat isn't getting enough water, talk to your vet.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by P.C., Dec 5 11:11 pm

Food & Nutrition > Can food determine behavior?

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 1:20am PST 
This is something I've noticed with my cats. I use to feed them only grain-free canned food. Since my husband lost his job, they are now on a low quality canned cat food. When they were on the good quality food, they never tried to eat grass or other vegetation. Now, they are constantly chewing on grass and leaves in the backyard! They also use to hunt small animals and bugs. Not anymore. I have also noticed decreased energy in my cats and a lot more napping. It seems like one cat is always trying to eat the lawn! I don't need to even say it, but we have more than enough cat pukes around the house because of that!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Angel Lily, Dec 9 11:45 am

Food & Nutrition > Monthly Subscription box

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:58am PST 
I have never even heard of Pawalla until now! Seems like a great store. As soon as my hubby gets a job (fingers crossed for his interview on Monday), our income should double and I will be able to spoil the kitties! I can't say I've ever heard of Petite Cuisine, either. It's a wet food I found on Pawalla. Has anybody tried this for their cats? The ingredients look great. As soon as I can I'm ordering a case of Petite Cuisine New England Crab Cake Recipe! My cats love fish! I don't know about crab. I can buy a can of fish broth and they will drink it up! Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken looks great too! My kitties love chicken! I think I will order the Weruva in Mideast Feast, Mediterranean Harvest, and Mack N' Jack. The Nine Liver looks good too! Okay, maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here. laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 19 7:44 pm

Cat Health > I think I lost 1 of my 9 lives today

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:47am PST 
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! Do you know what caused her death? Was she stuck under the bed for a long time? I'm just curious what exactly killed her. I'm very sorry for your loss. Was it a viral infection? Were you able to get her to the veterinarian? She should have probably had IV fluids. Could you include more information, please?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Amber, Dec 2 12:47 am

Cat Health > Food For A Diabetic Over Weight Cat
Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:51pm PST 
Diabetes is a very serious illness. Carbohydrates are just the worst thing for a diabetic cat. When you put a cat on a lower carbohydrates diet, you must lower the insulin dosage. This is critical. I would stick with canned food, not a dehydrated diet. If your friend wants to do a raw diet, then Bravo Balanced Blends could be a good place to start. It is a low carbohydrate raw frozen diet. I would stay away from all prescription diets. They must charge 50x what those diets are actually worth! They just aren't worth it. Diabetes is, unfortunately, very common in cats. Feeding a cat with diabetes a diet that is high in carbohydrates is like pouring gasoline on a fire. However, all cats differ in their ability to tolerate carbs. Before trying to treat a disease with a diet change, it is advisable that your friend learns the basics of cat nutrition (the real ones, not the vet ones)!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Paula, Dec 2 6:47 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.