Postings by Cleo's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Cat Health > Collapsed lung and not eating or drinking
Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Thu Jan 9, '14 2:17pm PST 
Well, we got another x-ray done and she has plenty of food in her belly and stool on its way, ha!

But in all seriousness, Cleo's lung is still 1/3-1/4 collapsed, and the vet hasn't had much experience with collapsed lungs (I guess) so he forwarded the x-rays to another hospital/colleague for another opinion. Other than that, we are finishing out her bottle of antibiotics as it seems that her pneumonia is clearing up and she's breathing a bit better. Her lung looks much less cloudy as well.

I don't quite understand how a lung could only be partially collapsed, but that's a question for another vet visit once we get another opinion of her x-rays shrug
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cesar, Jan 10 5:54 pm

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Wed Jan 8, '14 6:51pm PST 
Cesar, I will keep everyone updated. I like to post health problems, questions, and resolutions mainly because I hope it shows up in search results for other pet parents and I would like to get answers as well, of course.

I have an appointment tomorrow to get another x-ray done. Unfortunately my area has 1 excellent animal hospital which I cannot afford, 1 trustworthy mid-tier office that I go to (although I have never had this particular veterinarian before- I'll try and request Cleo's usual vet the next time I go), and about a bajillion terrible budget offices that are competent to do vaccinations and that's about it.

Hoping and praying for an improved x-ray and results tomorrow! Cleo is eating a teensy tiny bit and drinking, hallelujah. I wasn't sure how much longer I could force feed and hydrate her.. it was exhausting for us both!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cesar, Jan 10 5:54 pm

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Wed Jan 8, '14 12:48am PST 
Cleo was taken to the vet on Monday because she was lethargic, not talking (she's usually very talkative and energetic), not eating or drinking, looking thin, and was breathing weirdly.

It turned out that her body temperature was at 97F, 4 degrees below normal, she was down to 7.7lbs from just under 9, and her x-ray showed a completely cloudy lung which the vet described as collapsed. It's 2 days later now and after a shot of depo-medrol and 3 doses of Clavamox, she hasn't gained back an appetitie or thirst and her breathing is still the same.

Was the vet supposed to reinflate her lung? He said he was taking a "crapshoot" when he diagnosed Cleo with pneumonia and perscribed her meds.

I have made her a warm nest in a laundry basket with a heating pad and fluffy blankets and have been running a humidifier. I have also been force feeding and hydrating her with a syringe, making for a very unhappy and lifeless poor little cat. She has been using the litterbox to urinate when I place her in it, but no bowel movements in 2-3 days, understandably. Her temperature was back up to 100 even Tuesday morning, thank goodness.

Is there anything I should be doing differently? What could her ailment be?

She doesn't seem to be responding to the antibiotics, but the vet insists I wait another day. I don't want to lose my poor girl.. She isn't even 2 years old and I love her dearly frown She's totally listless and 100% of her energy is spent on breathing or fighting my force feeding efforts. I literally have to put her in a sleeping position because she doesn't have the energy to make herself comfortable.

I should mention that she is an indoor only cat and my apartment is very well heated. Her illness came on out of nowhere and she showed signs for only a day and a half before I took her to the vet.

Please advise! I'm sorry I only come to the Catster community with bad news frown
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Cesar, Jan 10 5:54 pm

Cat Health > Colloildal Silver and Coronavirus/FIP

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 8:48am PST 
Hello all!

Earlier this year I made a post full of concerns about Cleo's illnesses. Turns out, she has the coronavirus (precursor to FIP) and various colon issues. She just turned 1 this summer and is an otherwise very healthy cat other than her extremely sensitive tummy, but the coronavirus threatens to take her health away at any moment. This is why I need discussion.

I want to know if any of you have any experience with giving your kitties colloidal silver internally. I know this is a controversial holistic method for me to try, but I want to boost Cleo's immune system and **potentially** ward off the coronavirus as there's no known medical cure for the virus. It's possible for the cat to eventually fight it off and stop shedding it, but picking up the virus from its own litter box is extremely easy, so the coronavirus is considered a lifelong threat.

A friend of mine has a kitten a bit younger than Cleo, and she was having similar problems: not gaining weight, sickly, but still playful. She took her kitten to the same vet as mine, the best cat vet in the area, and said her kitten had FIP and basically told her she was already dying. Having access to colloidal silver because her mom owns a generator, she figured she had nothing to lose and gave her kitten some that night. It's been months now and her kitten is still healthy and thriving with daily silver supplementation. I told her about Cleo and she is making me a batch of 10ppm silver, and I already bought a small jar from the store of 10ppm.

I'm not saying this is an end-all-be-all cure for FIP, but I think this may be a valuable avenue for pet owners to explore and if anyone has any experience with colloidal silver, good or bad, or any advice for Cleo I would love to her it!

Thank you! flowers
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mac (Angel), Jun 27 7:12 pm

Cat Health > Persistant and worrisome stool problems

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Wed Mar 13, '13 7:11am PST 
Hey guys, I'm sorry I have been inactive for a while but we finally figured out what it is.

Here's an update:

We sent out an expensive fecal test to a lab that tests for everything. I just got the call from the vet with the results. As it turns out, Cleo has an overgrowth of clostridium and, very unfortunately, she contracted feline coronavirus. We are unsure of if it has mutated to FIP (which is always fatal) as I won't have time to take her to the vet until next week, but in the meantime the vet prescribed some sort of foul tasting diarrhea antibiotic capsules.

I am not sure how to proceed with the news of the coronavirus. I'm really scared for Cleo, and I'm terrified that all we can do is "cross our fingers". I'll probably be making a new post at some point once we have a checkup with the vet, but for now I have to thank you guys with all your help. If you have any stories or suggestions about feline coridium or coronavirus, please don't hesitate to post. I'm still all ears!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cleo, Mar 13 7:11 am

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '13 10:59am PST 
Another update:

Cleo has been doing really well in terms of only going to the bathroom inside the litter box the past couple days, except for this morning. I woke up to her trying to "cover up" her poo on the tile right outside the box again. However this time is was not stinky at all, a slightly lighter color, and no blood to be seen. Her stool is still "half good, half bad", or half tootsie roll shaped and half diarrhea. 2 days ago she threw up about an hour after I gave her some wet food, and it was not sensitive stomach formula by any means. I'm cutting that out and I will start giving her the matching wet food along with the NB Duck and Pea I'm already feeding her. She LOVES the taste of the new Natural Balance food and gobbles it right up and picks around her old food. I think it's softer too because she's actually attempting to chew the kibble.

I'm going to keep her on the Natural Balance for now even though meat isn't the first ingredient because I've already bought and opened the bag wink I'm going to keep her on it for a while if it continues to improve/not worsen her stool so we can see if there are any other players involved in agitating her colon.

Iba, do you know what specific issues your kitties are dealing with? I'm going to start introducing a little plain Greek yogurt into her diet soon (what I have on hand) but I'm going to wait maybe one or two more days as she's starting to get used to her new food. If I remember, TOTW has a high(er) fat content and low fiber which wouldn't be so great for her colon right now, but I've looked into it as a possible food once we figure out what's triggering her problems. The only problem I see for her right now with Blue sensitive stomach is that it's not a hypoallergenic food (chicken as its protein, grains) so I'm steering away from it for now. I did love Blue's kitten dry food from the same line when she tolerated it, it really helped her gain and maintain a healthy weight!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Cleo, Mar 13 7:11 am

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:06am PST 
We did have her on Wellness Kitten at some point and she loved it. For now though I think I'm leaning towards grain free dry supplemented with a little canned food. The local pet store didn't have the grain free variety of Blue Basics, but we picked up a bag of Natural Balance L.I.D Green Pea/Duck and a few cans of the matching formula instead. Hopefully this, along with her prescription, addresses any problems that she has. I really hope she doesn't have IBD silenced
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Cleo, Mar 13 7:11 am

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '13 10:01pm PST 
Possible dry foods I'm considering to pick up tomorrow:

Blue Basics Grain Free
Crude Protein (min) 30.0%
Crude Fat (min) 12.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 7.0%

Innova Low Fat
Crude Protein (min) 32%
Crude Fat (min) 8%
Crude Fat (max) 10%
Crude Fiber (max) 5%

Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck L.I.D
Crude Protein (min) 30.0%
Crude Fat (min) 12.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%

I am leaning towards the Blue Grain Free because of it's relative low fat content (her current food is 20% I believe) and its higher fiber content, but any input at all is valued smile Thank you!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Cleo, Mar 13 7:11 am

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '13 9:02pm PST 
If her symptoms show now improvement soon I will take her to the vet again. I'm also reading your website right now, thank you for sharing smile How time sensitive is IBD treatment? I want to make sure I won't be worsening her condition by testing out the food allergen theory. Peas as the first ingredient concerned me because I always hear that meat should **always** be the first ingredient in cat food. The canned Natural Balance L.I.D formula has venison as the first 3 ingredients, so I thought that it would be the optimal choice if I could afford a 100% wet diet. I figured that any food with meat as the #1 ingredient would be much better for her overall health.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Cleo, Mar 13 7:11 am

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '13 12:24pm PST 
Before her spay I had her on Wellness Kitten Health and Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Kitten, both dry. On occasion (approx. 1-2 cans a week, just a small treat every night) I fed her a variety of natural wet food from brands like Wellness, California Natural, and Blue Buffalo. However, after her spay it seems that anything I feed her is giving her problems. I had her on Simply Nourish Kitten dry and that didn't seem to help anything either.

She has been tested for various types of parasites and nothing has surfaced. Like I said, she did have extremely resistant tape worms but I believe those has been killed off as the vet didn't see anything in her stool. I did stop the FortiFlora as well.

Could it be allergies? It would be an immediate onset. I am going to try a grain free and perhaps a "limited diet" variety of food, but allergens worry me because she hasn't showed any other signs of a reaction. She has a healthy coat, isn't itching, etc.

I have looked into IBD as a real possibility as soon as I heard that she has colitis. She hasn't vomited in a really long time though, I actually can't remember the last time she's thrown up. I previously got my information from this website: http://www.halopets.com/pet-education/pet-articles/Inflammatory-Bowe l-Disease-in-Cats.html and I am looking into indoor food formulas as well since those seem to have higher amounts of fiber and lower fat content, which should help her colon according to my vet/this site. Can IBD occur in kittens or very young cats?

I purchased Wellness Core Indoor dry formula last night, but I am planning on returning it as there are many reports of cats getting urinary crystals from that particular food and, frankly, I don't need more vet bills right now. The Natural Balance limited ingredient dry foods all have peas as the first ingredient and that concerns me a bit. I know Beep said the canned variety, but unfortunately that may not be financially feasible for me right now; I'll have to see how my pet store prices it.

In the meantime I'll keep you guys posted if I see any other issues or improvements. Hopefully I'll find a cure soon for poor lil Cleo!
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Cleo, Mar 13 7:11 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.