Postings by Yogi's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Grooming > Poop getting in fur
Dean

Purred: Fri Jan 10, '14 9:35pm PST 
I brush him every day and also give him a paste that is supposed to help the hair move through his bowels three times a week so I don't think I could be doing much more there...
I guess I'll take him to the vet and see what the say.
Thank you for taking the time to help me.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Apr 14 3:37 pm

Grooming > Poop getting in fur
Dean

Purred: Thu Jan 9, '14 11:19pm PST 
Hi everyone. I have a long haired cat, Dean. He has a lot of cat hair everywhere, but especially on his behind. He's about three years old, and I've had him for six months.

This past week I've had three different instances of him coming out of the litter box with poop smeared on his behind hair. This has only happened once before, a few months ago, but now it seems like it's happening every two days.
I haven't changed anything in his diet lately. I've tried adding more or putting less litter in the litter box - still happens.
And he is really, really hard to give a bath to.

I know there is the option of shaving - but since this never happened before, I'm worrying there's an underlying cause at work here.

I'd love to hear from people who have had something like this happen with their cat. Thank you.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by ~Purrcy ~ Meohmy, Apr 14 3:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > What is better, ANF or royal canine?

Dean

Purred: Sun Aug 25, '13 9:48am PST 
Just wanted to thank all of you guys for your advice and update you: the scratching has stopped, or at least gone done to the normal level I usually see in cats, and the swelling in his lip has disappeared. So far the vet says he doesn't need any shots. So I guess it really was the food.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Oct 3 10:54 am

Food & Nutrition > Wet food spoiling really fast?

Dean

Purred: Sun Aug 25, '13 9:37am PST 
Thank you for all of your replies! The brand is la cat. I don't think the problem is with the fridge since nothing changed there. I didn't know plastic is a problem - I'll try putting it in a glass jar, thanks for the tip! For now I've just been freezing it in batches after I open the can, but then I can't feed him immediately but have to wait until it thaws.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dean, Aug 25 9:37 am

Food & Nutrition > Wet food spoiling really fast?

Dean

Purred: Fri Aug 16, '13 12:23am PST 
I give my cat wet food twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. For the past few days I've been noticing that the cans I open spoil really fast. The first one spoiled after two days in the fridge, when usually it keeps for four days. I remembered that the pet shop owner said that it can only keep for a few days in the can after being opened (I usually cover it with a plastic bag and a rubber band and I never had a problem before), so I tried transferring it to a sealed container after opening. It spoiled after a few hours in the fridge. I opened a third can and decided to freeze portions (I read that some people here do it), so I gave him a portion for breakfast, kept a portion in a sealed plastic bag for dinner, and froze the rest. Now I went to take out the portion for dinner and it's spoiled! I have no idea how the frozen ones fare yet, I guess I'll know tomorrow.
My refrigerator is working fine (nothing else spoils), and the food is the same brand as always. It smells fine when I open it but after a few hours in the fridge it just starts to smell rotten. I thought maybe my sense of smell was off, since I've had a cold the last few days, but the cat doesn't touch the food either after the first bite.

Any thoughts? I'm clueless. I don't want to change the food because it's the only one I can find here that doesn't have either fish or chicken in it (he's allergic to both). Not to mention, if I keep throwing away food after I open it it's going to make a real dent in my pocket.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Dean, Aug 25 9:37 am

Cat Health > Ideas on how to fatten up a cat?
Dean

Purred: Sun Aug 11, '13 2:12am PST 
Thank you all for your help. I have been feeding him a novel protein with dry food - lamb. But I can't get any wet food that is grain free and doesn't have either fish or chicken here, so I don't want to switch him to an all canned diet. Plus, if I'm gone for more than a few hours I have to leave him something that won't spoil quickly.
He poops quite a lot - it seems like I'm endlessly cleaning his litter box - so it's not that he doesn't eat. It just somehow doesn't translate to fat. I play with him quite a lot but that doesn't seem to have an affect on his appetite. I know the breed tends to be overweight, at least according to breed info, but I don't think it's going to be a problem with Dean.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 11 5:51 am

Dean

Purred: Sat Aug 3, '13 11:17am PST 
Thank you for your advice! I'm not 100% sure yet what he's allergic to, but since at the beginning I fed him dry food that contained both fish and chicken, and tuna based wet food, I'm trying to avoid both fish and chicken now to see if it helps. Raw diet isn't an option for me. I took your advice about feeding him smaller portions more frequently - I hope it'll help!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 11 5:51 am

Dean

Purred: Sat Aug 3, '13 3:03am PST 
I have a new cat the I took from a foster family a month ago. He's two and a half years old. When I took him to the vet for a check up the vet said he was underweight and had to gain almost a kg, at the least. He's had some food allergy problems (detailed in this post: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/781422)
tha t I'm still figuring out, but his appetite's been pretty consistent. He likes the wet food he's getting, he eats the new dry food as much as he liked the old one, but he just doesn't eat very much. I always end up throwing away food even though I'm always adjusting the amounts I give him. I tried to give him treats, which I know are higher in calories, but he wouldn't even taste them. It's been a month and he hasn't gained any weight. He's very affectionate and playful, doesn't have any health issues except for the weight and the allergy thing, no worms, no flees, so I don't think there's anything wrong, really. But I'd love advice on how to stimulate his appetite.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Aug 11 5:51 am

Dean

Purred: Thu Aug 1, '13 12:20am PST 
Thank you all for your help! I do hope it'll make a difference soon.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Oct 3 10:54 am

Dean

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 11:52am PST 
It seemed like the best of the lot. I haven't managed to find grain free wet food yet, so I don't want to give him too much of it.

I live in Israel.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kaylee & Amelia, Oct 3 10:54 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.